FB Break

Five days ago, pulled the plug.   Mama' and I had discussed it a lil while doing some hot tub time ...  she'd deactivated her account a few days previously unknown to me... and ...  urged me to .. 'try it for five days' ..  You know what ..   I enjoyed the time off.   Still, the first two days were like one probably having to quit a drug habit.  This crap has become ingrained in my daily habits.  By Wed, no big deal.  Still, I found myself wondering what I must be missing. Nothing of course.  I do enjoy connecting up with a lot of folks from coast to coast, border to border.  And I missed that part...  but not the other BS that sometimes finds it's way into our life.  I made an extra effort to firewall myself from the ongoing crap that is well.. still going on .. that I've wrote about in the past.  Lil' crazy you have to insulate oneself ...but .. it's done.



Moving forward, I'm going to create a two step process with FB.  I don't know about you, but my phone used to light up with notifications all the time..   you know.. people posting, people comment, people 'liking', etc, etc.  I'd eliminated that some time ago on my phone. But, my desktop still lights up with with that info.   The second step I'm implementing is simple logging out process and forcing myself to log back in every time.  Why?  Well, notifications!   And...the icon on the phone won't show you have notifications.  My day will become 'quiet' .  Now the trick is to just lock in a short time period once or twice ( okay ..  three?) times a day for a quick check for anything pertinent.  At least that's the plan!  Comments. Converations.. .. then .. move on.    I've mentioned before I spend most of my day in front of a desktop when in the home office.  It allows me to flip between screens all day long which .. lets be honest.. isn't necessarily a good thing.  So, we'll give this new angle a try.


The pool is warm. The outside temps are warm.  Basically 'summer' is here.  Riding season is in full gear.  I'm finally back in the gym.  Time to enjoy it all and time to minimize Social Media.



Comments

I have notice the longer that I don't check FB the more FB becomes like that X that hasn't come to terms that you are no longer a couple and are just friends now. After about 3 days of not checking FB I start getting what I call ghost notices, updates to posts I have never seen as if I liked or commented on them. Day 4 or 5 I start getting notices that people I have interacted with in the past have posted something new, people I don't have alerts set up for. Some time past that phantom pokes show up from no one and then I start getting emails about a variety of posts I don't have alerts for (I finally figured out how to turn that off). It is really creepy. I am surprised that after a couple of weeks I don't start getting threats to have my account deleted or something.