Turbo SlingShot: Go Big or Go Home!

Sum Bitch .. it's been almost five years since I decided on getting one:  Why a Slingshot?
 
 SS isn't the only toy on 3 wheels.  Lots of options out there: So you want to 'ride' .. on Three Wheels?
 
Nov 2014, I rode it home from Arkansas .. what a blast:  The Slingshot…….. Post ride report
 
Back from the Dead. The need for speed and a blown motor:  Slingshot Update
 I'll be the first to say, I don't ride/drive it enough.  It's a pure toy to me.  But, since getting it back on the road, I've got a new appreciation for it.  I've joined some FB Groups specific to the SS.  I've bought some dress up parts for it.   And, I've been getting out when possible on it.   Yesterday is a perfect example.  Headed into the concrete jungle of Dallas, wasn't riding with anyone so.... instead of donnin'g the vest, thew on a nice jacket, grabbed some sunglasses and jumped in the Sling'.  One of my pet peeves early on were all the belt noises I'd hear.  But now with the Turbo setup, it's basically got a straight pipe that sounds pretty good; at least in comparison.  And nothing like the sound of the waste gate when you take your foot out of it.

So, I'm headed out HWY 69/380 to McKinney before turning south on Interstate to Richardson.  I had a lot of opportunities to play with it and jump on it at lights and open roads.   One thing that is different now is this sum' bitch will get away from you in all five gears if you aren't paying attention.   Used to be , you could 'make' it spin that back tire with the clutch, in the first 3 gears, but by 4th and 5th it was calm.  Not now.  In all FIVE gears, with no help from the clutch, it'll break that tire loose if you are shifting at high RPMs. And from a stop, it takes nothing but your right foot too have it sliding left and right.  

I no longer get the looks like I used to from just about... .everyone.. but now it's folks in performance cars I key on.  I got paced by a Porsche yesterday.   I'm sure he was making snide jokes on that phone plastered to his ear, but had he 'gone for it', he might have been initially surprised.   Walked away from a Camaro and Mustang before they'd realized what was happening.  The power ratio on this is pretty incredible actually.  A 1700 lb vehicle with approx 250 HP will get it moving fairly quickly. Think about it.   A Mustang weighs approx 3700 lbs.  A Camaro is closer to 4,000lbs.  A Challenger is closer to 4400 lbs.   Now, imagine how much HP is needed to get the same HP to Weight ratio?   One quickly realizes how fast/quick these actually are.   I know they will do 135mph in 4th gear, stock.   I've never had mine to that ( close ).  And since I've put the turbo in it, haven't had it to over 110 (yet), but it's begging to run.  Used to be in 5th it dogged a lil, but now... just wants to accelerate !!   Now in all fairness, I never purchased this for 'top speed'.   It's about the fun in the corners. At the Lights. Doing donuts like an idiot.

So, what next?   This thing is externally, almost bone stock. Once you lift the hood, you get the idea what's really going on.  I can't help but think I'd like to change out the seats for some similar to the newer models; they just look plusher. I'm assuming they actually are ... plusher.   Stereo. It's got the basic SL stereo in there, but I have to admit if I find myself at a 'rally' of sorts where somebody has a killer setup for not-so-stupid money ....   I'll make the plunge.   Cruising down the road, it's not exactly stellar in the tunes department.  Otherwise, this is a Plain Jane Red SL.  I dig' some of the other colors out there, but just too hard to justify with the low miles this thing has on it. So trading in, or repaint.. not an option at this point.

Spring is coming......  there are numerous SS rallies out there,but ....  interferes with my "bike rally" schedule.  What to do .. what do do!?!?  I've said many a time, this is the MOST fun I've ever had on 'more' than 2 wheels, but 2 wheels is what calls to my soul.   So for how, the SS is relegated to 'non-riding' days and events.   



Comments