Charities

 This one crosses my mind often.  Over the years, I've given to many various charities. Over the last few decades via motorcycle events; often.  Over the years via organizations I belong to; often.  Via events I've helped organize; often.  Been asked to attend standalone events for charity; less often but often enough.  I've been blessed in life and made some good decisions over the years that allow me to help the less fortunate when I feel the calling.

Well, this year via the CVMA we've got several fundraisers coming up. Our chapter is a 5013c and we have a 'bike run' of sorts coming up to raise funds. We've raffling off a handgun this year to raise funds.   Selling calendars to raise funds.  We even have a motorcycle out there somewhere to be raffled off at a future date.  So, it has me thinking things through especially in the "Effort vs Outcome" area.  In other words, how many man hours and effort will be put forth to achieve a certain dollar amount.  The good news is we have almost zero overhead.  For the bike event next month, we have already secured the venues and have the pieces (wrist bands, cards, manpower) to make it happen.  As for the weapon, it's already procured and tickets are being sold.  Hell, even that bike is already paid for.  The calendars are in work after several models gave their time and member bikes were utilized.  Still, I wonder how much overall will be raised.  By the end of the year I'll be able to 'look back' and assess if it was all worth it, at least 'in my mind'.  Fingers crossed.

As time as gone on, I guess I attach a significant $ amount to my time. If you take five people, they may view $100, $500, $1000, $5000 or $10000 as large sums of money; or not.  Each one worth putting in different efforts to raise. Each person viewing those values differently.  Me, I don't necessarily.  I mean ... if you are only going to raise say ... $1,000.00 .. how much friggn' time is that actually worth? Me, I'd rather pull out my checkbook and be done with it.  I know this may come off wrong but I've watched a specific charity over the years brag about the  proceeds given away and I'm always thinking "you're kidding me right? that's it?"  They rant and rave about certain dollar amounts raised over a year time period by hundreds of people, then give piddly amounts to organizations for the public pics (whoops; did I say that?)  but I personally give more to charity on my own. The point being, how much effort is it worth?   Now that being said, there is always a value with charity but my god, Think Big! Make it all worthwhile.  Me personally, I feel blessed to have been able to help those I have over the years; simple as that.  But damned it's hard to get fired up about say ....  a hundred bikers rolling down the road to raise money for someone and when the smoke clears ...   there's only a few hundred dollars raised at the end of the day.  Wouldn't it have been easier to just pass a plate around, and a few thousand dollars instantly raised later,   we all just hop on the bikes and go ride a few hundred miles and have a blast?  I know I'm over simplifying it ... but...  go big or go home.

Brings me to another issue on the subject.  Costs/Overhead/Funds Raised.  This one is actually a pet peeve of mine.   Here we go... lets call this one the 'charity IQ test.'    Lets say we have a hundred bikers.  I create an event for a good cause; lets call it "Save the Wolves" for shits and grins.  Lets do a Bike Run to raise funds.  Lets charge each Bike $25 and additional riders $20.  For that, we'll print up a tee shirt for each participant. When the smoke clears we get them for say $10 each.  We get someone to cater the gig and each person gets a burger, chips and soda. Our cost behind the scenes is $5 each.  And we'll give away a lapel pin that our cost was $2.00 for.   So, now my question is ... how much did we raise for the Wolves?  Well to simplify the math, lets say all 100 showed up as couples; 2 up on the bikes.  That's 50 bikes and 50 passengers.   So, my question is ... how much was raised for the wolves?  Some might say $2,250.00.  Pretty simple math.   But, that's prior to overhead costs.  Sadly, after a few folks put it together, go through the hassle of printing out the shirts, picking them up, organizing them, handing them out then the folks moving the food to the participants .. and finally handing out the lapel pins... wait, don't forget all the paperwork to make sure one doesn't get sued ...   well, there's a whole $550.00 left over, best case for charity. Are you F'ing kidding me?  So, that brings us back to my first point.  I'd rather write a friggn' check to the 'wolves' vs go though all that BS.   And, I do. I have.    Now, the obvious trick is think bigger ...  okay, lets change them numbers.   Lets bring in 300 bikes and say they are 100% doubled up.   The profit is now something like ... $3,000.  But at that level, I'd still rather just ... write a check than deal with all those headaches running something like that.  So, unless one is bringing in say ..... thousands of participants  ..... I'd argue ...   what was the point?  Now, these examples are specific to bikes of course.  There are so many types of charities and  many raise five and six figures easily for their causes.  But if one is only raising 3 or 4 figures...  one may need to go back to the drawing board to reexamine the effort being expended?  The overall value of the charity?  Of course the twist is, if the event is being run as a charity but there are ulterior motives behind the scenes to it all? I've seen that one and I'm sure we're all aware of a few out there if you put the thinking cap on ....

Back to the better/positive side of charities.   When you've got an organization like the CVMA raising funds, tens of thousands a year per chapter, with hundreds of chapters in the US .. so Vets can help other Vets .. I get it.  I'm aware of some other bike organizations that do a good job raising funds to go to hospitals; I get it. Hell, I remember the Gregory 500+ raised funds for at least five organizations last year and it was significant.    But when I see others push their agenda, I have to tell you the numbers often don't make sense. The math doesn't add up.   If nothings else, just isn't worth my time.  

I'll just write a check or hand over cash. 





Comments