Covid Positive

 Well, didn't see that coming.

 

COVID-19 Updates and Resources – The People's Institute for ...

 

Back in late Jan / early Feb we took a cruise out of FL.  That was the beginning of the Wuhan Virus shit.   As we boarded, they asked us questions.  As we left the ship, they asked us questions.  Two other cruise ships were in a quandary due to it all; we made it out with zero issues

Next up .. Nashville!   We're meeting up with the Dittels and Donihues in Hot Springs and headed out .. but... not to be.  Wuhan crap is accelerating and they shut down the town. So, we all headed to Galveston for an incredible crazy week of fun.  Everyone in society seemed was losing their minds over COVID... but .. .we hit the liquor stores and grocery stores and kicked it up hard for a week.   Rick had dealt with some issues after the cruise .. I was dealing with some chest pains.  Hell, by April .. we both assumed we'd probably had the virus... so ... pressed on.

In June and July I'd see more events we'd planned on attending cancel.   One of them, a Jeep event on the  coast, many folks still poured into even though it was officially canceled.  As did we!   Afterward, we had no apparent health issues.   Next up is an event in Hot Springs at the end of July.  It's an IIRA reunion and Steve Smith memorial ride.  Arkansas is tightening up it's restrictions but for many of us, it was still a go!

Few days later we're home ... and .. it begins.   We got home on Sunday but by Tuesday morning I'm suddenly hit with a spell of the 'chills'.  I'm shivering and for the life of me, can't stop.  After a few hours under the covers and a hot shower... I'm functioning again. But that night I call it quits to an evening of sweats ...all night.  Next day; repeat.  Interestingly my temp never breaks 100 degrees.  By Friday .. .I'm 'cured'.  I feel normal.  Well, sort of.  Leanne had one night of  light fever/temp/sweats,  same as myself but that was it.  By the weekend, we are a lil lethargic but .... nothing else.  Hell, that weekend we went to dinner with friends but 'kept our distance.'  Next Wednesday, we're outside listening to music with friends and seem fine.  But all this time we've become aware of another friend we were with whom is having serious issues.   By this time last week, a trip to the emergency room, a positive COVID test and they (person Zzzz) were soon in the hospital with complications.   As I write this, they are making progress but only after we all got a scare!

Well, with all this  .. mama 'had to know'.  So, two days ago we headed in to a clinic to get tested.   Interestingly after telling the head Doc everything he questioned why we even wanted to get tested.  His words were something along the lines of "you have probably had it.  you are weeks in .... and recovering/recovered."  But mama insisted.  Hour later we get the results; positive for both. Interestingly she tested with the antibodies; I didn't show any.   So now.... what?

 Well, as I type this I have a nagging lil' cough.  Something similar to what I've dealt with for years; feels like I have an allergy and something is tickling in the throat.  That's it.    But ... on a serious note.. what now?   I mean, there was zero guidance given other than ... quarantine and stay away from others.  I mean that's obvious.  But for how long?  Nobody said .. come back in a week and retest.  Or .. two weeks... or .. anything. I mean, nothing.  Zilch.   Hell, I really didn't want to take the tests anyways since I don't trust the reported numbers anyways.. but... here we are.   I've even done a time-line to keep all the dates/data straight

29 JUL WED:  Arrived in Russelville.  Potentially, first day of exposure
31 JUL FRIDAY : Last time exposed to Person Xxxx. Person Xxxx did not show Saturday due to being sick.  Claims via messenger, got sick on 2 Aug. Per family members, was possibly sick Saturday .. and maybe prior?
2 AUG Sunday: Last day with group. Person Yyyy gets sick that night
4 AUG Tuesday: I get sick with chills/low fever/sweats
6 AUG Thursday: Person Zzzz left Wed, home Thurs.  Getting sick
7 AUG Friday: Thursday night, last night dealing with sweats, etc.
13 AUG: Person Zzzz at Emergency room:
14 AUG: Person Zzzz tests comes back positive from  being tested 12 AUG. Still in hospital as I type this.
8-18 AUG :  I have a minor cough; feels like more allergy related than 'lung related'

16 AUG : I tested at CVS: Positive
17 AUG:  Both of us tested in clinic in Paris: Positive

So, then .... one has to do the math, I guess.  I believe I was exposed somewhere between 29-31 JUL.  I'd like to believe the person that most likely infected everyone didn't' know about it.  By Sunday morning 2 AUG, my nose was running and I was sneezing up a storm.  That day, I attributed it to allergies and riding on Thurs/Sat .. but .. now,  I'm not so sure; could have been the first set up symptoms?   So that leaves two other 'dates' in the mix.  Tues/4 Aug I had the first 'sick' set of symptoms. But Thursday..  was mostly good to go. Friday I was truly feeling 'normal'.     So, what to do with this data?

I was most likely initially exposed NLT 31 JUL.  That was 20 days ago.  First day of any symptoms, 18 days ago. First day of feeling 'sick', 16 days ago.  I've felt great now for 12 days.   Now the twist.  We tested couple of days ago, and got the positive result.  However, I'm using the common sense analogy . Two worst cases.  I was in contact with Person Zzzz the 5th of August; 14 days ago.  I felt like crap last on the 7th of August, which was 12 days ago.  So.. from MY perspective... I'm gold (using the 14 day CDC guidelines) this weekend...  this Friday .. 2 days from now.  Leanne is gold .. now, per all the dates. So... as far as I'm concerned come this weekend, we are 'healed!'

That all being said, for our own personal reasons we plan on doing another test this Sunday to see if we get a negative back .. just because.  Yet, I've read where folks can test positive for weeks and weeks afterwards due to the DNA in the tests.   Got to admit, if they come back positive (which they probably will?) .. going to feel weird and like I'm in denial.  But .. I've worked the numbers and dates.

So what have I learned?  Not a fucking thing.  Well.. two things.  We WERE sick two weeks ago.  A friend of mine (person Zzzz) is still sick, but ....  improving.  Person Zzzz has almost beat this Wuhan crap.

 Note:  As I was finishing the blog post up the phone rang; Department of Texas Health Services.  Calling about my test at CVS.  To say it was weird is an understatement.   They asked for some basic background facts.  Asked me if there was anything I needed.  Did I have a thermometer?  Need anyone to pick up my groceries?  Huh.   That was it.  I inundated them dates and facts, since I was simply reading back what I'd just wrote here.  They seemed to simply just be filling out their database.  Nothing ... no great info on what to do, guidance, instructions, demands... anything.  

Go Figure

_________________________ 


Update 20 Aug: Spoke to Person Zzzz on the phone this morning.  They sound great; much better! Good chance they can go home today or tomorrow with some 'oxygen'.  Lungs are getting stronger. They are getting stronger.   Good News!

Update 21 Aug: Great news....  Person Zzzz is headed home from the COVID Hospital!   He beat it!

Additional Update: Daughter was feeling like shit, so get tested.  Negative!   Hey .. at least we know not all tests come back positive?

Update 24 Aug 2020: CDC Guidelines: The CDC updated its guidelines on its website. No more 14 day quarantine recommendation.  Though the two-week recommendation was changed, the federal agency did caution travelers that they can still contract the novel coronavirus while traveling. "You may feel well and not have any symptoms, but you can still spread COVID-19 to others," the agency warns. "You and your travel companions (including children) may spread COVID-19 to other people including your family, friends, and community for 14 days after you were exposed to the virus."

Update 27 Aug 2020: Perfect timing.......   and  ...... 'cured'!


___________________________

 

 


Comments