Dodged a Triple Bullet

Hurricane Laura ...   what a potential nightmare.   For days, they've been forecasting Marco and Laura coinciding close to Galveston giving story after story how bad it was going to be if/when they collided.  Then Marco hit first,  and Laura was still down by Cuba, Marco died off .. and ...  then Laura picked up steam.  Now the next story was this was potentially a category 5 Hurricane and headed towards Galveston.  Read it could be worse than the Hurricane of 1900 where 6,000 + lives were lost and it changed the Island forever.   Well, nothing I could do but sit back and watch.  We have two homes on the Island, have insurance of course.... so what are you going to do?  We joked between ourselves more than once that if either got major damage,  we hoped it just .. ... 'disappeared' as happened to many during Hurricane Ike twelve years ago.

Well, as it headed for land it also became apparent it was not only going to be a CAT 4 at least, but would track up to East Texas before taking a right turn and headed across many other states onward to the east coast.  The closer it got, the uglier it got.  But before we headed to bed things started to change up.   We found ourselves in an helluva storm last night simultaneously with the Hurricane hitting the coast, and thankfully for many Texans, the Hurricane was no longer headed for Houston, but a notch further East into Louisiana.  Bad news for them, good news for us.  Additionally, the northern track was now a lil further east of us so what looked to be potentially CAT 1 winds headed to Greenville were now in LA, not TX.  Whew!

We have two homes on the Island, one in East Texas...   Like I said, three potential targets, but as I type this no real damage to any that I'm aware of.  Off my right shoulder in the window from the home office in Greenville,  the sun is shining and the sky is clearing.  I don't see any major damage on our street in Galveston via security cameras, but Mark H. will be checking on them this morning for exterior damage assessment.  Either way, that's what insurance is for?  I don't think we even had a storm  surge issue.  At one point they said up to 6' .  Now I'm thinking .. I don't think the water even made it to the downstairs areas at all?  Whew!

So now my attention is on my family and friends in Louisiana that did get damage.  My niece's home got siding damage and a major power outage in their area; they had a scary night.   Several other friends have yet to check in.  My prayers are with our Cajun families .   Laura is still causing Havoc with hurricane level winds as I type this...  what a nightmare ...





Comments