Give up the cut / patch


Well, as you probably figured out.. this is related mainly to the motorcycle world.  I guess it could also apply to car clubs, gun clubs .. hell .. a loose knit bunch of buddies.. but ...  the motorcycle world is what's in my brain as I type this.

Many of us in the motorcycle world wear vests (or .. substitute jacket as necessary).  Those that ride HDs and Indians tend to.  Just a fact; look around.  I know .. some people want to beat their chest and say "I don't wear that shit!" .. or .. "I'm a lone wolf!" or.  "FTW!"   Whatever.  Head to a bike rally with a butt load of bikes and most men and women have a vest on. Now, this could be their personal landing zone for every known patch and pin out there and it now weighs triple what it did new .... or ...  in a few cases.. as plain as the day it was purchased.  But for most, it now has patches on it that tie to the manufacturer of their ride.  Maybe a back patch that ties to a riding group or associations they belong to?   Maybe a 3 piece patch that ties to an motorcycle club (mc) they belong to?  Maybe they're a dumbass with an SOA patch or Mayan patch (couldn't resist that one) ?   Point being .. .they 'belong' to something and display it....   well, in my world ... most folks belong to a specific riding group / and or association.   Hell, I belong to several. My oldest membership is in the IIRA (Iron Indians).  Last few years, the CVMA (Combat Vets).  I'm a lifetime member with the IMRG, but rarely participate.  I guess my list could go on and on (VFW, NRA, etc) .. but.....  IIRA and CVMA take up most of my time.

Over the years .. decades .. I've realized one simple thing.  People....  pretty much all people ... are emotional lil' bitches some of the time.  Problem is, when it's most of the time?  On a side note, I realized something many moons ago; people don't change.  If they were a whiny bitch at age 15, they usually still are at 51.  If they were a pussy at 16, they usually still are at 61. Pick the trait, I'll state the fact.  Now, some us may change a lil' over time .. at least to others as they are perceived... but ...  in most cases, under the skin .. they are the same friggn' person.   And once you know / understand that ... makes it all a lil easier to understand and deal with?  I know people way past sixty years old that have dark deep fears about the silliest shit, but to the vast majority of people they are perceived as confident and successful all around.  Point being.. that person was always that way under the hood, in the brain.  They don't change; just mature?  Whoops...... I'm getting off subject.

Here's my 'issue'.  Let's pick a group/association as an example.  How about "HOG." That stands for Harley Owners' Group.  I used to belong, never active, don't know anyone that is currently.  So, HOG it is so I don't hurt any feelings.  Okay .. HOG ... go to any rally and you see guys with the HOG patches on .. .and additional patches that show they've been members for years.. hell ... maybe decades.   Some folks really get into this shit.  However, if they decide they don't like the direction the chapter is going .. they throw in their cut (their vest with patches).  Some will rip off the patches, others will toss the vest, most would park the vest in the back of a closet.  But they will tell folks they are done!  No more!  Leaving!   Making their statement!     Months go by .. maybe a few years.. .and .....they are back.     What changed?  Hell, sometimes  folks have to go back through the whole initiation process and receive a new patch and new membership number.  But hey .. they stood up to all the mean people!   Now they are all motivated/remotivated and back in the mix!  They showed us, huh?   

Now .. does all this really matter?  Nope.  It's just an association, not a 1% club.  Hell, guessing the whiners wouldn't get back 'in' had it been a 1% to start?  But .. does it matter?  Hmmm... of course not.  But as one might have guessed, it does to me.  I've parked that info in the recesses of my brain.  Sometimes when someone pushes hard and gets a lil high and mighty .... I'm the guy in the back smirking thinking "weren't you the whiny lil' bitch that gave up your patch last year?"   Trust me; I'm thinking it. Seems like about once a year, someone gets added to the list.   More than half the time they come crawling back.  Sometimes asking for forgiveness.  Sometimes acting like it never happened.  Sometimes pointing fingers, playing the blame game.

Me .....   I've walked away from a few.  Walked from the IARG, but I was never a believer in it, nor active.  Walked away from IOA after joining as an inaugural member but never truly bought into it. Hell, I've been asked to rejoin both but there is zero value to me personally.    But this brings me to my 'point'.   If you are an active member and things aren't 'working' out because one is head butting someone else within the group, but you've got skin in the game, a believer in the group's value,  why not just lay low?  Give it a 'break' for awhile?  Or ...  the unthinkable; bring about change that alleviates the problem(s)?   Or in layman's terms, instead of being a whiny bitch and publicly announcing to the world that one is resigning or simply throwing their patch back to the group to make a statement .. .why not just STFU, take a break for weeks/months and ..... reengage?   I mean there are a lot of friends usually involved here.  A lot of skin in the game over the years.  Usually, a lot of pride in the group itself, the patch and all it represents.    But why in the world do we have to hear via email or facebook or whatever means.... someone walked away (usually in a heated rambling) followed by others stating  "But they are a great guy!"   "We need to reach out to them!" ...    Me .. I'm thinking ...  "WTF?  ...another whiny bitch .. .SMH"

Fast forward a year... they've got their cut back on...we're all drinking a beer...   what's his or her name is throwing back cold ones with us all, on a group ride.  We're all in the same cuts.  But...   every once in awhile .. you might catch me with a smirk.  Because.. ..........well ...... you know what I'm thinking? 



Comments