Weekend in New Braunels

 Wrote a CVMA Specific Post here on the Weekend: >>  STATE 2022

Been looking forward to this one for awhile.....  only thing I was concerned about was weather, and all for nothing... was P E R F E C T .  Three of us would roll down on bikes this past Thursday, 60s when I left and about 90 when I rolled in.  I spent 80% of that ride with a short sleeve Tee on; awesome.  We decided to do it on two lanes, taking an hour or so longer but well worth it.  Much of that was spent on Hwy 22 into Central Texas with some time on 215 and 217 which were firsts for me ....  superb country roads with adequate curves, scenery and almost zero traffic.  After some time on 281 which is a notch busier, we turned east on 311 which was our final run on 2 lanes and some curves.  Eventually we drop onto 46 and  you know you're getting close ... because... traffic .. civilization. When the smoke would clear we did upwards of 320 miles that day and the majority of that was sweet.  Well worth the extra time.   Around 1430 hours we pull up to the Marriott Courtyard in New Braunfels and time to get off them bikes and sip some cold ones!  Walking out to the back area, and we're greeted with pure beauty.  So close to all the traffic and city, this place is a gem of sorts.   Lucy and the Kennedys have just pulled in on four wheels, Chief and Kathy are pulling in to say Hi (they are staying at a different hotel visiting with their Daughter as well) and we're all soon relaxing and enjoying the afternoon/evening.  We park it down near the water's edge and the hours fly by.  Vestals eventually pull the plug and we're not far behind them.  The Ead's and Kennedy's have hung in there as well.  But soon..... night one is .. over

44-2

Moving a lil slow but Mimosas come out and recovery is near!  A breakfast buffet is downstairs for our event and I'm soon in line.  Not bad.. not great...but, it's buffet.  Still that smoked Applewood bacon is to die for!  Few hours later we'll work our way over to Gristmill River Restaurant & Bar which I looked up and turns out Nance' has been to before with the 'girls'.  She gives her nod of approval and we are off!  Has a really cool woodsy outside feel to it, service is excellent, drinks and food rock.  I'd definitely come by here again.  This place obviously gets really busy and is well known but it's a Friday afternoon and we're lucky with a small crowd.  When we leave here, we'll head back to prep for the enveing event; CVMA Bike Night.  Funny thing is we end up taking Mark's truck over since their bike is in the shop getting 'triked.'.  Works for me since I can relax a lil more and not worry about throwing a leg over 2 wheels after some cold ones.  We pull up at the VFW and this place is PACKED.  Vendors everywhere, music in the background and cold beers being sold. I luck out and meet up with Gus and his partner at Texas Veteran's Network whom have a tent setup and are getting me into their system to work with the VA on my disability paperwork; score!! I've been dragging my feet for years on this and some of my issues (back, etc) are becoming an issue.  For the first time in my life, I'm wishing I'd done this 23 years ago and been in the system; would have simplified things a lot. But .. it's now time to get it done.  Another highlight of my night is a CVMA Chapter out of Hattiesburg MS have rolled in and we're hanging out. I've gotten to know these guys better and better every year seeing them at multiple events.  Few weeks from now, I'll see them in Gulfport again; bam!  Eventually, the place is thinning out .... it's time to head back.  Back at the Marriott, I'm a little smarter this time than last.  I pick up the phone and Pizza Hut is soon there with 4 pizzas and we're smiling on the back patio.  I should have only ordered two so passing out the other two to other folks....  guessing they annihilated them because an hour later I saw zero evidence. Smart move ...  slept like a baby.

Saturday morning is soon here so back down for buffet then upstairs to get Lucy.  We're on our motorcycle headed to our State Meeting there by 0815. It's literally less than 4 miles away and I take a route with nil' traffic.  After several hours there, we're headed back and I take a route that is like 2.5 miles distance... and .. nil' traffic.  Perfecto!  The temps and weather overall are perfect.  A close friend of mine Michael Hansen has seen a FB post of mine and is reaching out to me.  I thought he lived in Marble Falls but only lives ten miles down the road; doooooooooah!   He's soon rolling up on his bike with a bottle (handle!) of Buffalo Trace, we all are hanging around the back patio area .. and .. the PARTY begins.  By the time this is done, I've fought off the urge to hit that pool where Dutch and Boomer had been swimming, attempted to give a lap dance to one of our Birthday girls, sang some Karaoke, got into a bidding war over a quilt (got $$ .. thank goodness I stopped) , won a clock and a helmet in a raffle and silent auction, got some "ill looks" for being loud from our Regional Rep (whoops!), realized Jester is not Joker, and .. well...  thankful Lucy was there to have me pounding a LOT of water and feeding my quesadillas.   Hey .. it was a party!  

Opening my eyes way too early on Sunday.  Crap .. we've got to ride home today.  Have to admit that first hour was rough.   Eight ..  I mean .. Nine of us are scooting down I35 at 85mph ... and ...  I'm just focused on keeping my line in the group.  When we pull over at a Bucees for a pee break, I realize my bag on my luggage rack has been hanging off barely held on by some crappy bungees didn't tear up my baggers' paint thank goodness. Chugging some water and a stretch .. ready to head back out. Head is now clear and we're soon near Hillsboro.  Frank and I peel off from the group and we're now back onto two lanes enjoying the views. Still, stomachs are growling and we find a DQ in Ennis to park it at.  Sadly we picked the wrong spot.  They screw up his order, take 20 minutes to serve up mine and I'm watching other customer complain about their orders.  Still, that triple patty hungerbuster loaded with with cheese and bacon... calmed down my belly.  We hit Quinlan sixty minutes later with a crap load of traffic so divert off to Tawakoni for more 2 laners .... and soon Frank has peeled off down 513 and I'm home less than ten minutes later.   My back is killing me (hit a few pot holes and got jarred).  I'm beat after the previous nights Shenanigan's.  But I'm home.  Lucy's been here for a few minutes awaiting my arrival.  All I want is some water.  LOTS of water.  It's good to be home....

Home Sweet Home!




















Comments

DUTCH said…
There were Nine
1. Pullout
2. Orion
3. Goose
4. Fireshot
5. Dutch
6. Rickcir
7. Boots
8. Smitty
9. Delco
RickkciR said…
Tough Crowd! LOL .. fixed :)