But .. it's NOT a Jeep

 My latest ....  disagreement. As usual, found myself in a heated exchange of opinions.  However, mine are based in facts.  And we all know how that goes sometimes.  Feelings .. emotions .. you name it, get in the way of facts.  Then throw in the keyboard warriors hiding behind their screens, and ... a mixture for sparks. I guarantee 98% of them can't back up the BS spewed?

Background.  I've driven jeeps for 35 years.  CJs, TJs, JKs, JKUs, JLs, JLUs , KJ, WJ,  WKs, and a WS.  I've been around.  Currently own five total in that mix.  So, I may have an opinion?  

Situation.  Jeeping the Coast down in Mississippi has been on going for many years. It started at Cruising the Coast, but quickly grew into something else, since that is an event for Classic Cars to show up and attend in events, cruise around, etc.  Jeepers became a 'thing' and a gal ran with it.  Today, JTC draws upwards of 5,000 Jeeps for an extended weekend event.  Registration for the event gets  you a goody bag with shirts, etc and .. a sticker that allows you to get on the beach as a group (normally, this is NOT allowed in the area) and .. for an extra $20/$25 you can get a Parade pass for your Jeep to participate, for a limited quantity of owners.  At this event's main area, 95% of the vehicles parked around "Jeep Central" are Jeeps (but not a requirement).  You don't have to have a Jeep to drive around the areas here (Long Beach, Pass', Bay', etc).  Don't have to have a Jeep to cruise around.  In fact, a lot of locals are in the mix all day on Highway 90 and in Long Beach, Pass Christian, etc.  But you do for those two events.

Few weeks ago during JTC 2023 during the beach crawl where hundreds park on the beach, thousands (?) cruise the beach for a four hour period, I noticed a newer Bronco in the mix. Earlier in the week, I'd wondered how long it would be until groups of Broncos or other makes, rolled up, marked their spots, etc... but... I thought this was a Jeep only beach crawl (due to registration).  So, in my infinite wisdom, I asked on a FB Group that is populated mostly by folks that attend.  I have to admit, I didn't expect the fireworks that ensued.  It quickly turned around by most commenting that it wasn't an issue and I was the issue for even bringing it up. Apparently I'm a Bronco Hater (I'm not.. I like them).

Okay ...  couple of examples real quick.

I've been to motorcycle events that are Brand Specific.  First example.  Harley Davidson Guinness World record ride in 2018.  This is ONLY for HDs.  Period.  But on the day of the ride, a dozen other bikes from other brands .. Honda, Indian, Big Dog, Yamaha.. snuck into the mix.  The ride was disqualified.  It's was a 100% HD brand ride.  MUST BE, to get the record.  But, some people didn't understand why that was an issue to include some HD riders whom were registered (you can't fix Stupid?).  On social media. god help you if you tried to explain this simple fact.  Yeah, I caught a lil shit pointing out the obvious.   I've been in similar situations with the Indian brand since I also ride that one.  Some folks just can't get the memo.  Some events are specific to certain brands.

Imagine if say...   a Challenger owner event is going on, and 100 folks roll in with their Challengers ranging from the 70s to the newer ones; bad ass right?  And a single Mustang owner rolls in and wants to park in the middle of their car show.  Wants to ride with them in a parage of Challengers.  I promise you a few of those owners will be asking (WTF!?!?!).. and one or more will be saying "be nice ... don't be that guy.  Does it really hurt anything?"  ... I know how this works...  It's a SPECFIC MODEL/ BRAND event.  Not sure why that's difficult.   Okay .. back to JTC.

Once I got bashed.. and trust me .. a LOT of 'nice sweet' Jeepers who couldn't believe I was being mean, began to bash me and label me.  Truly funny and hypocritical. Not one to back down when common sense is questioned, I went to the JTC web site and found on their FAQ page .. JEEPS ONLY.   But, that wasn't enough to convince the naysayers.  Went back to the Registration page and it asks for JEEP MODEL and YEAR.  Sort of specific?   But that wasn't good enough.  So I emailed the folks that run it, and they apologized and said that vehicle never should have been allowed to register and / or participate in the two registered events.  But now, I've really stirred the kind hearted folks who are besides themselves. The craziest part, even all that .. is not enough to convince them next year should be 100% Jeep.  What is it ol' Jeff Foxworthy said?  "Here's your Sign!"

Now, somebody reading this is asking "why is this such a big deal, does it really matter?" Well yes it does, to keep the integrity of the event.  Great example I can give ... Across the Nation in May or June there is a "Topless Weekend" event that Jeepers in many states attend.  In Galveston TX area it's turned into a shit show; complete mess.  What used to be just Jeeps has grown into anyone that wants to get on the beach showing up, to include side by sides, 4 wheelers and even... cars.  Looks like a Spring Break party.  Problem is... folks are getting hurt. Arrested.  Even killed.  The news reports it as a Jeep event.  Huge black eye, when ... the Jeeps 99% of the time, are not the issue... but...   it continues on every year and the locals threaten to shut it down.  Folks, THAT is what I'm trying to prevent.  When I try to explain it, folks tell me .. I won't stop.  Won't move on.  But, most won't agree to a simple thing.  It's a JEEP ONLY registered event for the Beach Crawl and the Parade. Apparently it's true; you can't fix stupid?

If you allow that one Bronco.... then, why not thirty of them at JTC 2024?  Why not Toyota Land Cruisers? They were pretty cool. We used to own a Samurai back in the mid 90s ..  why not them? Why not the 80s/90s Blazers and Broncos that had removable tops.  And to be fair, you can't leave out the 4x4 trucks right?  Isn't that ... fair? Where does it stop?

I registered .. spent money .. for a Jeep only Event.  JTC admittedly missed the error.  When one registers, it's done electronically on their website. I'd bet money no one has ever reviewed each and every registered  vehicle to check what Year/Model, ensuring Jeeps only.  Even then, some clown could put down a Jeep and then put that sticker on their VW buggy and try to get on the beach.  In this year's case the guy admitted he registered his Bronco back in December, so .. what's the problem?  Well, he can't read for one thing,  apparently. Secondly, no one reviewed it. Third, the police officer letting folks onto the beach simply went by the sticker on the windshield.  Fourth, not a single person within JTC stepped up and did the right thing.  For 2024, they will. At least that's what they told me, in writing.  What does that entail?  I'm not sure but .. .I'll speak up 'real time' next year if it happens again.  This year, I jokingly gave the Bronco owner shit about getting stuck, he joked back he was there to pull Jeeps out.  All jesting in good fun.  Afterwards, I simply asked a question ....  and here we are.  Hell, even the Bronco owner has gotten butt hurt and continues to defend his decision. This ain't personal on my side ... Just the Facts ma'am.  Just the Facts?  

The two main posts on FB by myself and another person with their hundreds of comments under each (mostly negative IMHO) are now gone (I still have a copy of it all thinking it might get deleted),  But every few days or so, someone either intentionally stirs the pot or just attempts to be funny.  In the mix are folks commenting that don't understand what the heck folks are talking about... what happened... why people are acting that way ... or my favorite .. Why does it matter?  Why do  you hate Broncos?"

Well, I'm expecting another eleven months of the crazy stuff... so in the future, I'll just post a link to this Blog Post. Easier that way ..... that's why I wrote this. Can't wait to read the comments on that one .... maybe I'll do a second Blog Post to prove to them I don't have a life, spend too much time on my computer, you name it. That's what has been said to this point, since I respond to each and every, that calls me out  But... it's 3 am and I  can't believe I'm up this early .. and .. but what else would I be doing if not this? LOL  Shopping the 'net for a used Bronco? :)  Or even better  .. a bad ass one!  I've looked at them here before

Gateway restored Broncos:  https://www.gatewaybronco.com/

Classic Ford Bronco: https://classicfordbroncos.com/ 






Comments