Colorado Springs on 2 wheels

Got to admit, I wanted to put a different spin on this one, on how it would all play out. Great Vaca' run to Colorado, riding in the mountains, enjoying time with close friends...   well, it sounded good anyways.   I attended a CVMA event last week, but I wanted to go up early and spend some time with a buddy of mine in Denver; didn't happen. I wanted to spend a few extra days riding around; didn't happen.  I wanted to Iron Butt it on my way up there; didn't happen.   But.....

We'd just gotten back from MS last Monday. I'm dragging ass.  I'm watching the weather and it's taken the air out of my sails.  Chief has been asking me to go up a day early with him, but I'd be home less than 18 hours and...  not an option. Watching the weather, I opted out of an Iron Butt on the way up.  Wet, cold, and I'd be tired on the last portion ...  not what I call 'fun.'  I've got nothing to prove here, just have my reasons for that (CVMA related) Iron Butt.  In the meantime, Frank is asking if I'll do a 2 day ride with him and Larry.  At first I said no for similar reasons I'd told the Chief.. but...  that weather.  So, at the last minute, I make reservations for a night in Amarillo, tell Frank I'm in, and we've got a 2 dayer up to Nationals now. The Chief had opted to canx the week before, and I was really wishing it'd been all of us headed that way.

Head out Wednesday, not too early.  That 400 miles to Amarillo is a simple one in the big picture.  Relaxing, compared to an Iron Butt.  We get to the hotel around check in time, Franks pops open some beers that he's packed away for this moment, and ... it all feels real now.  Clean up and we head a few doors down to a killer restaurant that I've passed a dozen times seeing the billboards (72oz Steak Free!), and we're soon sitting at the bar sipping more cold ones and checking out that menu.  The angle here is ... eat that 72oz of steak, with ALL the sides in a specified time limit (1 hour?) and .. your meal is free.  I've actually done something like this successfully back in my early 20s, but those days are gone! A 32oz steak will push me to my limits nowadays and I normally eat .. 8oz.  So, I'm content to BS with they boys, BS with  the bartenders and ..  soon a shit load of CVMA folks are rolling in with the same idea.  Folks from all over Texas and Louisiana are going this direction and we're filling up the joint quickly.  A sign of good times to come.  Well, get some Prime Rib (smaller 10oz!), and ...  we're headed back to the hotel via foot.  We'll be up early for the next 375 miles.

We join in with some folks out of Dallas and San Antonio and following Tank notherward. Thursday is uneventful as well, but better scenery. We're soon into New Mexico and Colorado with elevations and curves.  Blowing through Pueblo, we stop for some BBQ next door to a dispensary and it's some of the best I've ever had (wonder what they put in it? lol). About check in time, once again we pull up. Now it's getting interesting.  We're at a Double Tree in Colorado Springs and it's packed with motorcycles around in most of the parking slots, and the Lobby Bar is complete chaos.  I like it. We're soon checked in and the night will be downstairs with the drinks flowing and finding old friends and making new ones from around the country

Up early .. sort of .. and we're soon headed out for some riding.  Rain gear in the bags, but we won't need it .   We head SW out of the Springs into the hills for great riding and beautiful scenery.  We stop at a few places but ... this is a touristy area and I'm not hear to drop $$ on those zip lines, etc.  We do find a cool Prison Museum that we drop $10 for and check it our for an hour or so.  That'll keep you in line; not my kind of lifestyle!  Then a great lil burger joint for lunch, in an old school cafe.  Then ...  more riding but thirty minutes out I'm looking at the skies and getting a 'bad feeling.'  I convince the guys to reverse course and call it a day. As it'll turn out I made the right call.  Five minutes out from our hotels, the temps drop fifteen degrees and 1 mile out, the rain starts. We'll make it under cover just in the nick of time, none of us getting soaked.  Perfect!   Back into the hotel and there's .... that Lobby Bar again.  I see a trend... But, we've got a Bike Night to attend at the Pikes Peaks HD Dealer and as always, crazy packed.  How many? I have no idea.  I know we've got more than 2500 folks voting, so probably 3000 +?  It's folks almost shoulder to shoulder, so we may have taken over the place.  Then ...  off to find some grub, and pull the plug.

Saturday morning and we've got some CVMA stuff to attend to.  We'll spend the entire morning over at an event center, then back to our hotels to get caught up on things.  The Lobby Bar is a notch quieter now, but I'm meeting new folks and isn't that the whole point?   We've got a long day ahead the following day .... I've decided to Iron Butt it and Frank and Larry have told me they'll join me for the first 3/4ths of it, all of us riding together to Hunt County. I'll later regret this decision, not leaving earlier that morning.

We head out ealy and it's chilly.  Down close to 50 deg, we''re leathered up.  All the way into Mexico, the temps remain in the lower 50s, and by the time we do our first stop for gas,we're getting a lil cold.  Nothing some McCoffee doesn't fix with a lil breakfast.  Then .. we're back on the bikes and headed to Texas.  They next stop it's around 70 deg and we're peeling layers. By the time we get to Amarillo, it's jumped to 85.  We're back in Texas!

This is the weather I love.. or .. think I do.  All the way up to 94 deg, I'm digging this. Sipping water, relaxing , cruising along at 80mph.  But as we get closer to Gainesville, the temps have reached 103 degrees.  Lets just say ... fucking brutal.  I wuss out first and ask the guys to pull over. We find some water and I'm not only chugging it, but pouring it all over me .. head .. neck .. chest. .. .even arms.  It does the job, they get cooled off as well .. and .. .we're rolling. By the time we get to Hwy 36, it's down to 97 or so degrees and feeling 'good'.  In fact, when we head down 69 , it's 96 degrees and .. honestly feels great.  This .. this .. is the weather I love. 

When we get to Hunt County we break off. I'm the only one collecting fuel receipts and doing the Iron Butt.  Looking at the sky, I'm in for a surprise. I'd been thinking this wasgoing to be a relaxing ride for 250 more miles in the 'countryside', enjoying the view and putting up with two hours of darkness..  Assuming I'll be home by 11pm, and cuddling with mama.  Nope ... not to be.  I head east towards Texarkana and I can see lightening in my rear view mirrors.  It's one helluva of a storm and nothing short of beautiful with the sun a firety red/orange finding its way throw a few cracks in the black clouds. But, you can see the rain out there coming down...   wild shaped clouds.  I'm starting to question this decision and direction.  Well, I pull over, check the radar and make a decision to break off I30 and head NW to Paris.  I'll get fifteen minutes down the road when it begins to sprinkle but soon find  Gas Station with lots of cover but closed.  Hang out checking radar  which looks menacing but there is nothing out there but sprinkles.  Thinking this will be an all-nighter if I continue to hold on, I throw a leg back on the bike and ... soon regret my impatience.

This is a first for me.  On a positive note, I've got a new Full Face Modular helmet on.  I'm normally a lil half helmet .. or none .. guy.  Well, the rain starts coming down; no biggee.  The winds kick up; no biggee.  But then the sky really opens up, the rain is now going horizontal and when the lighting sparks up, I can see the trees leaning over and the perceived velocity of the wind gusts.  Then, the hail begins. This is the first time for me being in any 'real' hail vs some tiny stuff.  Big old chunks are bouncing off my helmet and bike and I'm waiting for the 'pain' which never comes.  Lot of dime and nickel sized stuff, then the quarter sized starts.  Few larger ones are pounding me, but I'm hiding behind my fairing doing maybe 10mph.  No shoulders on the road and the wing gusts are now slamming me, threatening to knock me into the ditch multiple times.  There is no where to pull over, I've got a semi pacing me way back ... so, I'm stuck plodding along.  I have to admit, when the skies would light up, I'm looking around for a tornado in case I have to head for the ditch and jump in!  But .. nothing that bad, Thank God.  Few more miles down the road I find a gas station with all the spots occupied by cars/trucks trying to protect their windshields.  I pull up and wiggle behind them, and sit on the bike worried the wind will knock it over and .. wait as the hail continues to pound us.  I have to admit though.. none of it ever 'hurt'.  I expected it to, but somehow got lucky. Fifteen minutes later, I'm wiping off my face shield and glasses... rain is now manageable and ...I'm off towards Paris.  Fifteen minutes later ALL the roads are dry ....   with a light show all around me.  I'll spend the next 150 miles or so going around the stormy areas working my way back towards Hunt County.  By 0100, I'm topping off with gas for a final fuel receipt and headed home.

Have to admit, finally in the house... hot shower....laying there falling off to sleep... I questioned my sanity on why I did that Iron Butt. In the middle of the Hail storm, I looked to the skies and was speaking to our Lord asking "Really?   Really? " and of course, asked to be spared a full blown tornado or straight line wind; I'm guessing he cut me a lil slack after the test.  I'd all asleep for 8 hours and I swear I didn't move from the exact spot/position I layed down in. Was exhausted.

Looking back at it all now..... Great trip. Great ride, both directions.  Would I do it again? Hmmmm....  sure.... with some changes, looking closer at my weather options.  Will I do it again?  You know I will, next year to or from, Minnesota.  I never learn ....



Lets Roll!

3 Musketeers headed North

Arrived in Amarillo. Frank breaks out some cold ones

Big Texan few doors down


Big Texas at the bar

Lunch stop outside Pueblo

Lunch stop outside Pueblo



Nice lil Cafe for lunch

MS is in the House!

Tequila!


CVMA Bike Night....

Let the meeting begin ..

Ran into Klutz from 23-15 again :)


Comments