I’m OBSESSING…………



..... about Mexico!  Aaaaahhh... finally …. Back to the Island.


We were last there in March of this year, my wife, daughter and nephew with me.  Additionally, we had some close friends of ours who had a separate vaca’ planed that timed perfect with ours…. So we had six of us, kicking it up….   Which had me planning the next one after that great week in paradise.  The original plan was to head down there for my B’day a few months ago. Last years’ B’day was spent here, so it seemed appropriate.  But an IIRA event, “The Gathering” was coming up in late August and I didn’t want to miss it.  So, I pushed it off a few months and focused on attending the motorcycle event.  But, that wouldn’t happen.  Hurricane Harvey was headed through the Gulf towards Mexico and Galveston was a potential target.  I actually departed TWICE to Missouri and turned back both times, questioning my trip when I may need to get to Galveston ASAP.  Well, in retrospect, since we had minimal damage, I could have done the event… but, the opposite could have happened.  All in hindsight…..

The Mexico trip is growing.  It’s no longer about my B ’Day, but family and friends heading in for some vaca’ and scuba diving.  My dad is in.  My B’ in law and his bride are in.  My nephew, his son, and multiple friends are in.  At the last second, my daughter is in.  We have a few cancellations with other friends; when the smoke clears, we’ve got twelve of us headed in.  I feel a party coming on!  The day is here.   We’ve got our doggy sitter lined up, folks are flying in to DFW and we’re off.  Just the week before I was in Vegas and used one of my beni’s as a Veteran; free airport parking!  Well, we’re up for round #2 and this is starting to add up (in savings).  We find a front row Handicap parking spot (Lucy as RA) in Terminal D and….   It’s starting to feel ‘real.’   Twenty minutes later we are past security and I’m smiling. We arrive simultaneously at the Garage Monkey Bar and Grill with my baby girl.  Dad and Steve have arrived but situated themselves near our departure gate, so we order up some Blood Mary’s (okay  ... I did!) and the vaca’ has begun!  Hour or so later, we head down to the latest gate change location.  Hugs and Kisses, with our latest family members rolling in, and we’re headed onto the plane… but... my name get announced over the loud speaker to come to gate desk. We’ve got one spot open for upgrade, I’m three Bloody Marys in, and my wife and daughter are doing their thing... so … I take it!  Hey, I thought it was funny?  Made for some fun as everyone loads up and my ass is in the big comfortable seat.  We’re all loaded up and waiting for five more showing up via a flight from Mississippi that was running late.  They’ve landed, on the Skylink headed to our terminal… they’ve made it, passports out and …. The Door Closes.  Huh?  WTF?   Incredible that airlines do this.  Pilot knew they were coming.  We’ve got six more minutes for the scheduled depart. But…. Pilot says ‘no’ and... We prepare to back up.  We’re texting, everyone is in shock.  I still can’t get my head around why they weren’t allowed on.  I get schedules. But, over the last 1.3 Million miles I’ve flown on AA, I’ve seen a lot of crazy and BS stuff.  But, this one, someone misplaced their common sense. And that person has a paycheck from AA.   Oh well…..   We’re off, and we’re headed south…     I was wearing an Indian Motorcycle Tee Shirt, my seat mate (“Hoopy”) has noticed it, and it’s spawned a conversation.  For the next 2.5 hours I’m engaged in a great conversation with this guy, who has retired and lives on Cozumel the last 15 years.  Damned it’s teasing me… I’ve thought about buying down there for years.  I’m liking what I’m hearing.  Who knows….   maybe... just... maybe … ….. In the near future.  I almost purchased a few years ago down there.


On the ground, through customs and now... the mandatory Margarita and the Margaritaville stand outside near the buses.  Seven of us are all accounted for and ready to get this party started!   Drinks in hand, they throw us in vehicles and we’re headed to the Secrets Aura Cozumel.  Thirty minutes later, we’re checked in, and ….  Beach Front.  Let the fun begin.

I’ve been going to Mexico in this fashion for about a dozen years.   Back in ’04 we first discovered Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel via a cruise.  But, during that cruise we had only a short time via excursions and I realized there were AI’s everywhere (All Inclusive).  Basically an AI is a resort that for your upfront costs, all your drinks, food and various actives are included.  You know your overall cost, from the get go.  Well, in ’05 I won a contest where I worked and I selected a trip to Playa Del Carmen at the Iberostar Tucan as our destination.   We had an awesome time and ….   This set the tone / direction for a dozen years to follow!  Since then, we’ve stayed on the economy a few times as well, which changes things up.  I see the value in both options, depending on what you’re trying to accomplish.  Some folks push the 'economy' option, but I personally believe that will actually cost you more in the long run, every time.  I can state example after example.   Hell, I would arugue if you want to do a trip on the cheap and do it 'all', get an Cheap AI vaca' , rent a cheap car, and base yourself out of the AI and explore the area.  It IS.. the best value.  Trust me.  We do almost exclusively AI’s, so you can see how my brain is wired.  Still, we’re talking about a hard core Scuba trip next, on the economy in Cozumel (or cheap AI).  Allows us to focus on diving 2-4 times a day for the majority of the trip.  Hopefully that’ll happen in the next six months….

Secrets Aura Cozumel.  It’s an all adult, AI.  No kids.  No whiny BS.  I’ve raised my kid.  I don’t want to worry about someone else on my Vaca’.  Just the way it is.  And, this place delivers!  This was our 4th time in the last several years and it’s become an addiction! It’s on the upper price end, but the rooms are beautiful, we’ve always been beach front, the grounds are immaculate and my travel agent is personal friends with the GM, so let’s just say ……our trips always go smooth?



Lucy and I get checked in and as always....we’ve got a nice bottle of wine in the corner, with a fruit basket... and... The complimentary bottle of tequila. I’m guessing it’s about a 375ml bottle, with a couple of cool brown shot glasses, salt and limes.   I normally always have a shot out the gate … just because!   So, I pour the obligatory shot and... It’s smooth.  No salt required.  No Lime required.   So, what the hell… number 2?. 3 .. 4 … well, you get the point.  Quick change, unpack, and we’re off to the pool! We’ve got 4 folks waiting for us that have never been here before… they are about to experience….   A week of heaven!



SPLASH!    Water temp in the pool is perfect.   Temps are perfect.  Sunshine is abundant.  Music is playing and the Pool Bar is in full swing.   But, it’s quiet.  Well, it’s quiet compared to this past March, which was a crazy week that I assume was partially due to Spring Break.   But this week, its ‘quiet’ compared to the last trip.   Now, quiet isn’t the right word, because every day there were about a dozen to two dozen folks around the pool area but there were always open loungers.  Always space around the pool bar.  And never a lack of entertainment in the pool from lack of someone having ‘too much’ fun.  Every day, it seemed to be another guy or couple that were fired up and the life of the party.  I’ve still got a visual of Tracy and Sandy from Colorado Springs.  This dude got fired up EVERY DAY and made the round with everyone.  We met several couples from the DFW area and one from the McKinney area; I’m guessing we’ll soon be connecting back up with the McKinney folks to do some riding.  Good Folks!  
 
Man, the Tequila was flowing.  I’ve moved to Don Julio Tequila based drinks at the pool bar.  Somewhere over the span of the day, I’ve also managed to knock out the majority of the bottle in the room.   It’s game on!  And it was a great day.   Sounds like it probably got out of control, but it didn’t.  Eventually we migrate to Dinner.  Then to the Sky Bar up high for the evening.  The first night was in the record books, I’ve kept it in under control, and … Day 1 is in a success.  The following morning, I’m functioning fine, it's not too painful and one look at the bottle in the room is a quick reminder of what NOT to do the rest of the week.  

Day two..... Pool day!  New folks rolling in, the crowd is getting fired up... and we’re in wait mode.  Seemed like 3pm would never get there but eventually, the rest of our group finally makes it to Mexico... to the resort… check in…and... It’s game on.  They tell their war story about the ‘closing of the door’, their escapades to Gas Monkey Garage the night before while stuck in Dallas…… and a few pool bar drinks later, their brains are flipped to Island mode. The Vaca’ for all, has begun!   Turns into a repeat of Night 2 (Dinner and Sky Bar) and everyone has a smile on their faces.  We’re just warming up and good days ahead.
 
The twist for this trip is several of us are focused on scuba diving.   I’ve taken a hiatus and starting to get back into it.  I’ve been diving for about 8 or 9 years and have 70 plus dives under my belt but haven’t done much as of lately.  My nephew Paul got his first taste a few months before on our last trip and he’s gotten the bug lately and loves it.   He roommate Paul (yep… .. two Pauls’) just got certified and his ready for his first Ocean dive.  We’re using “Dive with Julio” whom my buddy Steve Foster turned us on to last trip and we’ve got two days of diving planned out.    Fast forward to our first dive day and it’s a beautiful one.  Well, it’s decided to sprinkle a lil’ but the ambient and water temps are ideal.  No wet-suits needed, and no rough seas.  We’re off!  I’ve promised myself that I wouldn’t party it up before my dives so they all go ‘smooth’ but…..   Fail.  Fail for all 3 of us!   First dive in, not big deal but when I come up after a 45 minute adventure,  I’m feeling nauseous.  Head feels light.  I'd quit the party around 11pm the night before, but … I screwed up... grrrrrr.   So, I’m sipping water .. a LOT of water..., and they crew has brought along some fresh fruit and I’m wolfing down that pineapple.  Second dive, several times I found myself with ‘dry mouth’ and having trouble swallowing.  If you’ve ever tried to swallow and couldn’t, you know it’s a bitch. Now, imagine being 80’ under the water surface and trying to swallow, unsuccessfully. Yeah, that shit will freak you out.  (I researched it the next day and realized I was DEHYDRATED  ... duh).   Still, the water was awesome, saw a ton of sea life and felt good to be back in the water.  For my dive mates, not so much.  My Nephew had two good dives and but I know he was feeling some pain and issues from the day before.  For our third member, things didn’t go so well.  Let’s just say, the party boy set himself up for failure.  First dive was acceptable, but he never made it down on the 2nd dive.   The day before, full of alcohol, had taken its toll.  Lesson learned and a great reminder for all.  Don’t do it .. don't ..... "Drink and Dive!"


Few days later we’re headed back out for Dive Day 2.  I’ve called it an early night before and I’m … HYDRATING!  What a concept huh?  No java that morning.  Lots and lots of water.  And, it was a GOOD day.  Felt like my old self down there just purring along at the 60’ in the current, with low usage of air, enjoying the beauty.  Only thing that would have been better is having my camera with me.  I’d brought it but after not using it for a few years, the rechargeable batteries weren’t up to par and… not an option for the trip.  Still, the dive awesome.  Great memories.  My nephew Paul had two nice dives and he’s stoked and smiling. He’s addicted to this sport and reminds me of myself when I’d first started diving; couldn’t get enough of it.  The highlight of this day was his roommate (Lil’ Paul) also had two awesome dives.   He abstained from drinking the day before and it payed off.  No BS.  No anxiety. Just two excellent dives. Hell, he came up with more air that we did left over, so he wasn’t sucking it down quickly. He was calm and enjoying the show.  Success!  Four dives in all during the week and now, it was time to... kick up the party again.

This is our 4th time to this great location.  Met all types of folks. Younger, Older, Americans, Germans, Brits, Aussies, Mexicans… you name it.   Hardcore party types, mellow types, LGBT types... you name it.  Never really thought much about it.  But this trip, the curve ball was…   met some ‘free thinking’ types.  After a few conversations with one couple I’m thinking to myself “WTF?  Did they just say that?”  Then someone else from my group said something similar.   I’d just met my first ‘swinging couple’.   I swear this guy was bragging how many his wife had been with and seemed to me, he was looking to up her count.  As open minded as I like to think I am, I don’t get that shit.  I just don’t.  Nor did any of the rest of us.  So, we let them ramble on and we all just laughed about it later.  We encountered another couple that I thought was somewhat similar, but I’m not sure in the big picture.  They may be the type that like to have you in their hot tub and everyone is nude.  Who knows?  But, that doesn't fly with us either.  I didn’t ask for clarification, not really wanting to know the answer.  But, it was the first time I’ve encountered these situations at any AI resort.   Hey, what the hell... gave my group discussion topics for later in the evening and we all got a kick out of it, comparing notes.  Funny part is ,  as I type this I suddenly remember an incident from Playa Del Carmen when down there with another couple, and a gal from a third couple down there starts talking about getting in the Hot Tub , and how it was going to be a topless event; let’s just say my wife shut that discussion down quickly.  Looking back on it, I realize now that her spouse was probably driving that whole agenda.   Use your own imagination.   Were you expecting more out these stories?  LOL?  Sorry, no wild stories here.   You don’t get to the 30 year point in a marriage crossing the line.  Life of a Prude :)

Damned that week went by fast.   Yesterday morning we got in the pool early before the pool bar opened and stretched out the morning as long as possible.   I joked we should extend a day or two, and deep down wanted to do it.  Finally, it’s 10am and it’s time for a Dos Equis Ambar (yeah... that was on tap all weekend... my fav!).   Soon, 11 am comes along... screw it... Margarita!   Soon, its noon…   crap…   another drink to go… and... time for a quick shower and then …. to the Lobby.     In a stroke of perfect timing, it begins to rain.   Dark Skies.  Leaving, just got easier!  They load us up into Taxis and in twenty minutes we are in San Miguel, checking in at AA in the terminal.  Another trip, another week has rushed by.   These all go too quick.    Maybe I need to revisit Hoopy’s words on moving to Mexico as an Expat.  Maybe that’s the next step.   Maybe not.  But a dive trip is.  I feel some planning coming on.  This will be a first for me; Guys Trip to Coz for the sole purpose of diving, while staying on the economy.   I like it…..












Comments

Unknown said…
I liked this post. Seems the BS was able to be left behind and some good times and memories were made.
RickkciR said…
Was a great time Tom. One thing to note.. the source of the BS tried to stir it up while I was gone.. not sure if that was intentionally timed, or based off something else. Either way, sipped an extra margaritas, and the drama and BS was left in the sands of time, that day ... Was a great trip !