Riding in the Rain....

Took off for a quick ride this morning into the Dallas area, with dark skies SW of me, Blue skies NW of me.. .and .. I'm headed .. West!  I wanted to ride the Gray Horse Chief, but the potential of rain had me opting instead, for the Chieftain with Rain suit in the bags, and lots of protection from mother nature.   Wasn't out on the road for five minutes before the sprinkles began. Then a small downpour.  To be fair, it rained on me for maybe several minutes, max.. then... a few sprinkles here and there .. with some blazing sunshine a few times breaking through..... and .. it got me to thinking.

Baby girl, out for a ride
My last time out with the Vulcan
Over my first few decades of riding I managed to stay dry for the most part.  Hell, my third bike which was a Kawi' Vulcan Classic 1500, NEVER saw the rain over a 7 year period.  I washed it often , waxed a few times, but with only 5k miles on it over that period..... it was 100% immaculate. Looked brand new off the show room floor, every time I took it out.  I remember back around '04 time frame, a buddy of mine wanted to go to an Easy Rider bike show in Dallas and I opted in.  He and his GF showed up on his Ultra Classic and I pulled the cover off the bike and then... looked up.   There were some gray clouds, and no sunshine.    Possible rain was forecast but nothing major.   What?  We were going to RIDE?  Oh no... I talked them into jumping into my truck and we drove to Dallas for the show .. in the .... umm.... sunshine.  It started to clear up.  On the return , same thing.   I couldn't believe it; I felt like a fool for making that decision.  But, this bike was my baby .. .. riding in the rain was for the morons! We did salvage the day with a ride to Gilligan's in Tawakoni for the day, but ... still...  I made a bad choice not taking the bike to the show.  I sold that bike in '09 for the same amount of money I'd have gotten had it been rode in the rain every day, or had double the miles on it......   Point being ...  .. RIDE 'EM!

All day ride in the rain. Eureka Springs, AR
In '09 I began the next chapter of my journey to where I am today.  That year I bought my Indian for almost 8x what I sold that Vulcan for and within a year and ridden in the rain more than I had the previous two decades. Year later I bought a Road Glide for the sole purpose of riding miles in crap weather and long distances.  Now, it's not something I look forward to, but you do what you got to do!  On the other hand, I've changed up trip directions and methods of travel based on hard core storms. I still have no desire to intentionally ride right into a firggin' monsoon.  I've met people over the years that brag about badges of honor ; riding in the sleet, rain, hail, snow .. you name it.   Hey. I've done my share.   I've gotten slammed coming off a mountain where we couldn't' hardly see in front of the bikes.  I've gotten slammed on road trips.  I've done 1150 miles straight through in 20 hours to stay dry, ahead of a storm.  But, I've also parked the bike for a night instead.  I've put the bike in a trailer multiple times.  But, if I'm rolling down the road and no choice.....is what it is.

Couldn't help but laugh about how far I've come since my Vulcan days.  Back then, I'd never just jump on the bike to go do a quick 100 mile ride.   Or ride somewhere 75 miles for lunch, each way.  Now...Possible rain; pack the rain suit. Couldn't imagine just packing up and riding across the country by myself.   Now a days... it's no big deal.  Yet, I've got a long way to go.   There are some hard core Iron butters out there.  Some serious Long Distance Riders.  Folks that will ride through almost anything and endure. I'm getting there.   Still as I continue to grow as a rider, I like to think every once in awhile.... I insert a lil' common sense into the trips?



Comments