Newbies to the Brand

I think about this sometimes, because it comes up too often.  On a ride, in a conversation, on a forum , or the big one; social media.  Someone either asks an uninformed question (I was going to use the word 'stupid') or they get butt hurt over something stup..  I mean .. insignificant.

The latest was yesterday . On FB on the subject of getting a large group of same brand bikes together when a buddy of mine comments "There are any better reasons to get together and ride than this. Honestly, I'd rather ride with 3 good friends, to a destination, than around the block with 500 assholes I don't know." -Doug   This is soon followed up by some bozo's  "if that is what you call us Indian Riders, I hope I never meet up with you."  So at this point, I do what I normally do ...  research.  I click on Mr Butthurt's profile and do a quick scan. First thing I see is he's a fellow Vet.  Huh.. that one surprised me.   A Vietnam Vet (respect!  .. but.. now realizing he's older than me).  Fifteen seconds later I find more than what I suspected; he's an ex HD rider.  There's his profile pic from '15 .. LOTS of pics ... with his nice looking Ultra Classic.   Why does this matter?  Well, doesn't in the big picture but this is a classic "rode a different brand but now that I'm on Indian, it's all about Indians!" scenario.   I see this shit every day.  A guy on social media will be MF'ing HDs like they are imported from a communist country, but you soon realize it's what he rode for the last few decades... lots of 'em!  Now ...  anything but an Indian is a POS it seems.

Another example came up earlier this week;  see this often. " ...... at the Harley Dealers for him. AT EVERY dealer I was asked what I ride and in every case I responded, "I'm sorry, but I ride an Indian, this shirt is for a buddy back home". IN EVERY case, the response was, that's cool, at least you ride. So, kudos to Harley, or at least the employees at their dealers."  BTW, he was picking up shirts for a buddy that rides HDs.  Now, reading the above you're thinking 'what's the big deal?".  Well.. it's not.. and that's the point.  However, the comments within that post are the big deal.  People whining how the dealers are mean to them when they roll in on an Indian.  How they got treated second class.  I've read post over post how folks do this shit intentionally then report back when it doesn't go well.  Hell, I've been in a dealership and they ask me 'what you riding today?" ... when I respond " Well, today I'm on my Indian Chieftain" I've gotten smart ass comments all over the map from "I'm sorry" to "they still in business?" to "here to trade it in?"  Likewise, while at competing dealerships, I've had  good conversations about the brands .. the competition... the differences.  You know... normal shit.  What I didn't do was ride 100mph back to the house, grab my keyboard and cry for help in mending my hurt feelings because they didn't approve of my bike.   A LOT of folks do need that encouragement.  LOTS.  Guys, it's friggn' embarrassing.

Then of course there's the new guy that would never come out of the dealership with his new Indian, wearing $500 ++ worth of a black leather jacket, chaps, and an assortment of shirts and bandannas.  We've all heard the jokes of the HD guys that do this. No, the new Indian owner has to get a brown vest.  Not that poser black stuff.  Then, they've got to name their bike something distantly relative to the Native American culture.  I know this because they either get on social media and ask for help with the names, or .. they make a point of telling everyone what their bike's name is.  I've owned a LOT of bikes over the years.  I'll admit, with my fifth bike, I came up with a nickname for it.  I've given my main ride today a nickname.  Two other bikes  have nicknames or 'names'.  But I feel like I've slighted them without giving them names like Geronimo, or Cheyenne or Cherokee or Apache or Pocahontas.  I just don't fit into the community right, not having the name airbrushed all over bike.  And I don't look right on it.  I mean, some guys dress up like Davy Crockett on a steel horse or a Chief they saw in a pic on a painted pony.   They are new to the brand and proud of it!  Me, I'm still prone to riding down the rode in a pair of shorts and tennis shoes.   Want to see people go ape shit?  Post of pic of that with no helmet.  That'll fire up the tribe!

Here's another one.  I've wrote about this in the past.  The newbie gets the bike of his dreams finally, rolls over to his favorite biker bar or a charity ride and .. someone makes fun of his bike; the brand.  "Hey .. is that one of them Polaris bikes?"   "Hey, are they still in business?"   "Don't be mad when they shut that down like they did Victory!"  And the one that usually puts most in tears ... " That ain't a real Indian"    Then .. you guessed it.. they run to their keyboard and flail away at the haters on social mediums filled with groupies who mostly respond with positive things to make them feel good.  "Everyone else is Jealous!" "They are ignorant and don't have a clue!"   "All HD's are POS bikes anyways!"  The list goes on and on.  This shit happens DAILY.  It's nothing short of mind boggling.

One of my biggest pet peeves and I've wrote about this before is complete lack of knowledge of the Indian Brand.  Now, I don't expect every new owner to go read a book or memorize the last 118 years of the brand since inception, but my god at least have a clue.  My #1 pet peeve is when I hear "Polaris Indian" out of someone's mouth.   I'll back this up with reasons.  For 18 years, I NEVER heard anyone say " that's my Polaris Victory over there....."  No, they just said "Victory" or "Vic'" or .. the model name.   Get the point?  And secondly, saying "Polaris Indian" for the sole purpose of distinguishing it from bikes that were produced with different motors, etc...  shows their ignorance.  From 2011 -2013 Indian Chief models were delivered and sold, manufactured in Spirit Lake with PP105 motors.   I can be a real dick and screw with people over that one if they get an attitude with my attitude.  How about we all just say .. "Indian Motorcycle?"  Or even better " Indian Motorcycle, made in Spirit Lake"  Or ... my fav " SL Indians".   Still, I've just about given up on this one.  With thousands and thousands of new owners every year, spouting "Polaris" every other sentence....  you can't fix stupid.   P.S.  Yes, I realize Polaris is the mother ship, Indian Motorcycle division is part of it....

My last peeve of the day; Riding Groups.   Does no one just ride anymore?  Seems the minute they buy a bike they want to run to a brand related group and join the Tribe! Now, yes there's a lil hypocrisy here.   I've been a member of the IIRA for almost 10 years.   I'm a Life Member of the IMRG.  I joined the CMVA last year.   But, when I head out on my average ride, I'm simply riding with friends.  Maybe met some new friends that day.  Maybe I'm on an association related ride.  But my god, folks don't HAVE to be in your specific association to ride with them. It's okay to ride with a person on a 'Jap' Bike or an HD... honest!  Those association folks begging for new members: you don't have to have an enrollment form hidden in your back pocket then try to sway them to join.   How about .. .. let them .. ask the question? Let them ask about your patch?  Your group? Your association?    Hopefully, the association has some type of process to keep every Tom/Dick/Harry from joining.  I know the CVMA does.  The IIRA is going down this path recently.   Most others don't.  Fill out the paperwork online, send it in with a PayPal payment and you're part of the new Brotherhood!!! PLEASE?  (give me a break).  Sometimes I see the value of belonging to an actual Motorcycle Club (I don't presently).  It keeps the pussies away, filters out the trash. Nah; probably not. That's another bucket of worms I don't want to tackle.   Back to the point at hand; just RIDE!  
   




Comments

Tim said…
So, I cannot make some stupid name for my Spirit Lake Polaris era Indians? OF COURSE NOT. I don't name my car, boat, plane, cat, dog, horse, sex doll(well, Lebanon Linda was a hit).

Lest we forget about the 1901 odometer pics or the most recent fad. "Here's my 116 on 1/16".

I found myself being a d-bag the other night with my brother-in-law. Guy saw my Indian jacket and Mark's Harley shirt. Asked me how I liked riding with Harley's. Told him we keep him in the back. Typical reply to a stupid question, but I fell into it.

What the hell did we do before social media keyboard warriors started popping up? Thanks for the place to post and rant Rick...
RickkciR said…
haaha.. You're welcome Brother! Sometimes it feels like the days of HDs vs Metrics, many decades ago. I remember going to Sturgis in '86 and seeing a Jap bike there in the corner. For a $1 you could swing at it and get entered into a raffle for a new HD. I'd rode into that Rally from SE Nebraska on a Metric (LTD KZ1000). Most people today (if you look at their actions on social media) would sneak a pic , run off and cry .. then post pics on social media defaming all the mean HD guys ..

Me ... I bought a ticket. Told them they could use my bike as the next target, If I won. I didn't. But I raced a lot of HDs that week, and had a blast. No, I never lost a race that week.