What's on your Back?

For those that ride, many set up a vest ..a "Cut" ... to show their pride and possibly, allegiances?  You know.. what brand one rides, what type of bike ... or a group or MC they may belong to.  Some are just into the 'swag' .. you know... a crazy amount of patches covering the entire vest making it look like one's grandma quilted it.  Or, covered with so many pins that it's a scary one to walk next to a strong magnet.   But what I'm referring to is .. ... the main back patch.  The one that ties one to a specific group.

Over the last decade, I've joined more than my share of groups for various reasons. Hell, I belong to the VFW, American Legion and NRA as well; lifetime member of each.   But in the motorcycle world, it tends to be MC (motorcycle club), generic riding group, or brand related riding group's patches that end up on the vest.  Me personally, my heart is tugged by two entities.  First is the Iron Indian Riders Association whom I joined almost a decade ago after buying my '09 Indian  Chief Vintage.  The second is fairly recent, though I've been contemplating it for several years; Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association.


For years I had a vest with an Eagle 'back-patch'  on it ...  I'm retired military, but rode a rice burner so ... sort of worked for me.  I also had sewed on some patches that tied back to my adventures on my bikes.   When I got my Indian, I got a vest that quickly became populated with Indian related stuff...   an embossed Chief/headdress serviced as the 'back patch' .  Then I joined the IIRA.  It was the only active group that I was aware of that tied to the Indian Motorcycle community.   I wasn't 'patch grabbing' .. but at the same time... thought  " damned that's a cool looking patch!"  Over the next few years I'd slowly become more ingrained in the group, meeting folks from around the country at diff' events, becoming aware of the overall history of the group (Est 2002).  Basically, I'm proud to wear it.  Along the way you meet folks that are patch grabbers.  You know... they join up for one year for the sole purpose of getting a patch then .. disappear.  They may claim to still be a member.  Or just say they bought the patch, so it's theirs. Hell, I've seen one guy that even put on an 'inaugural member' rocker under his small IIRA patch because someone "gave it to him," yet he was only a member for a single year ( 2009/2010 time frame).   That folks, is a poser.  When you see something like that, makes you want to kick 'em to the ground, pull out the pocket knife and remove the patch on the spot. But, you can't.  Well not legally anyways.  But hey ... they do it on "SOA?!" ... come on .. that was funny.  An interesting thing happens when you belong to a tight group that all wear the same back-patch, and believe in the 'brotherhood / sisterhood' .  You find yourself in a new family; not one you were born into but one you chose.   And for me there is a lot of pride in that.  My personality has me doing more than just sitting back .. waiting for others to get it all done ...  etc.   I soon found myself starting a chapter.  Recently found myself as part of the Tribal Council.  And as we move forward, trying to better things internally without stepping on too many toes.  Ensuring I'm trying to do things for the better of all members, and not for my own personal reasons.  There is a 20/80 rule out there in life and it applies here.   Of all the members, maybe 20% put forth some effort; attend events, participate actively with their chapter, reach out to other members.   I believe this to be true for pretty much all groups like this.   So, you're really doing things for a small group of people but yet.. have to keep the vast  majority in mind.


Earlier this year I was patched into the CVMA.   Though not an MC, they are run similar to one in many ways.  Being 100% military oriented, there is a lot of protocol and rules we abide by.  One of the first things you realize is you don't 'own' the back-patch.  You hare 'leasing' it while you are an active member. If for some reason you choose to terminate, you hand it back.   This alone minimized 'patch grabbing' by some. Secondly, you have to basically be sponsored ... vetted to some level .. to join up depending on each chapter.   After that, you have to submit your DD214 to validate your Combat Service. If you didn't serve in a Combat, there is the option to be a Support Member.  My calculations are Support members are less than 10%  of the overall member count.  Me personally, I don't differentiate between the two. We all served!  But to be fair, to be a full member.. you had to do your 'time.'.   Now, when you mention 'brotherhood', with the CVMA it's at a diff' level.  Not only do we all have the commonality of serving this great nation, but now ... 'serve' together in this great organization.  And for me, that means a LOT.

Now, where this all gets interesting.  For me, I can keep the two separate for the most part.  They don't 'conflict'.   The 'only issue' I have is with my position within the IIRA, I can not hold an officer position in another group; is what it is.  I recently took over Road Captain for our chapter, but that is not an officer or elected position.  So ... no conflicts..... but...

What if you belong to several Brand related groups?  I mean .. in the Indian Motorcycle community we have the IIRA, IMRG, IARG, IOA and...  a half dozen other wannabe groups that have a handful of members here and there. The IMRG is a Indian Motorcycle 'factory' related group. I joined that from day 1 and am a lifetime member.  However, I rarely ride or participate in their events.  This is simply due to location of the Dallas Chapter.  Still...  I've got no skin in the game except for writing that check to them.   But, I have belonged to the IARG ( MN based group) .  How I joined and why is spelled out in the blog elsewhere, but lets just say I never wore the patch or discussed or claimed membership with them.  I'd joined the IOA as a charter member but quickly lost interest for personal reasons.  Again, I've talked about it within this blog previously. To me, it's nothing more than a spin off of the IIRA and originated due to some butt hurt folks that started up their own. Simple as that .. hey .. it's my blog, my opinion.  That all being said, the IARG, IMRG and IOA have some good people within it's ranks. I'm not dissin' them as a whole.  I just believe you have to pick and choose sometimes ..... and this is one of those areas.   Good or Bad, the IIRA and IOA conflict at the core because of the reasons the IOA exists; how it began.  Until the day the current leadership is replaced by folks that have no skin in the game historically; it'll always be that way.   The IARG has a lot of good folks in it currently, but before it reorganized and booted out one of the folks that has historically tried to claim it,  it was a mess.  I've said for over 6 years, it existed for the sole purpose of supporting a dealership.  That dealership failed and is gone.  Sadly, they are now tainted with that history. Hell, the person booted from it still appears to have delusions of being part of it somehow. I'm surprised they haven't folded it and popped up the next day with a new name and patch so they can move forward without baggage.     Now, why bring all this up?  IMHO ... you've got to decide on  your loyalties and take a single patch, so to speak.  When I see a vest with an IIRA, IOA and IARG patch on them (sometimes all 3!), sort of makes my head hurt.  Hey, I've tried to make it work.  Hell, back about 3 years ago, I belonged to all 3 (that didn't last long though).  It doesn't work.  It doesn't because if you have skin in the game.. .actually care about the organization itself.. you've got to step back and understand the Pros and Cons , why each exist... what the history is... and .. any drama that spews from the conflicts.    I know.. I know....   sometimes folks don't get caught up in any of it. They don't care about the history.  They don't care about the supposed conflicts.   For whatever reason ... .. it just doesn't matter.   To them .. it's just a  .. patch?  It's just a medium to meet 'nice people' at events and ride.  I get it .. I honestly do.  But I don't have to agree.   To me....  whats on that back of that vest matters.  Now, it's not a GO- NO GO differentiator whether I hang with someone... but .. it sets the tone.  To me, it's more than just a patch.  It's the family name so to speak.  And to that, it shouldn't be taken lightly.  So when someone says to me ... " yeah .. I'm in the IIRA " .. but on their back is some goofy round coaster, I'm thinking .... "really...so what?".   You paid your $15 annual dues and we're instantly brothers?  No.   I realize this isn't some episode of "SOA"  or "The Mayans" .. but ...for many of us.. this matters.   The patch doesn't differentiate between 'friends' .. but to think it doesn't matter in the big picture...  who's kidding who?  If it doesn't matter ....   then.. just take it off?
 
I haven't seen any issues with the CVMA side. I'm sure there is something out there that I'm unaware of.  Other groups have ties to the military (VFW and American Legion both have riders groups), MC's are out there that tie back to their roots (ex. My dad belongs to the Vietnam Vets MC / Legacy Vets MC).  I'm sure it's not all a big hug fest.  But with over 16,000 active members, I'm pretty sure the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association is the largest by far.  I did recently see where some clown's had broke off and started their own CVMA of sorts out east... so ...  guessing I'll eventually realize we've got issues here and there, just as I'd described with the Indian Motorcycle based groups ... but for now, I'm naive and still the new guy?


The Big Picture.  I know .. I know.. we're all one happy family.  We all ride.   We all share the same road. All the same wind.  Still ...   when you throw on that vest, what serves as one's back-patch sets the tone whether one realizes it or not.  For some... its' just a purdy patch they paid a few bucks for. For some of us... it has a deep meaning. If you don't believe me ...   next time you're out and see a Bandido or Mongol , with his vest on. ....   walk over, slap 'em on the back and say something like "nice patch, get that on eBay?" or something stupid along that line.   Then....  please feel free to share with us in the comments section how that worked out?










Comments

Firemandave79 said…
As one of the Founders of the IIRA, my best revenge on those that would disparage what we have, is for them to start their own group, and then realize that you will be loved, hated, adored and vilified all in the same day, often by the same person.
tinker said…
Groups come and go. Most start up with good intentions but eventually flounder, because well... entropy is the fundamental nature of all things, and regardless of evolution people remain just a bunch of territorial angry monkeys at heart.

I joined the IIRA in 2003 when I bought my Gilroy then dropped out two years later when I sold it to an IIRA member. I rejoined in 2011 when I bought my KM Darkhorse, and am still a member. How long I'll stay with the IIRA is anyone's guess.

There are signs decay in the IIRA - but that's just my opinion of course. There are high up members that do nothing and resist change, and the club is becoming cliquish. Although these are bad signs, they are the inevitable process of evolution and decay inherit in any organized system.

What's on the outside of your vest matters much less than the heart that beats within it. Clubs come and go, but people remain. I've met good people in the IIRA, and when I eventually leave the good ones will remain my friends.
Tim said…
As a fairly new member of the IIRA, I find this group to be, as Nan recently said at "The Gathering", we are family. I see it, feel it and agree with it. Even my wife feels the same way and joined this past summer. The more people I meet from this group, the better I feel about my choice. If you are not a member of the national chapter, just a local chapter, get yourself signed up for the national chapter.
lil jack said…
Decay? The people who are at the top(volunteers) have managed along with their LIFE EVENTS, have kept the IIRA a relavant organization for 16 years.
My question is how many IIRA events have you attended to come up with your option? I have been to other organizations event and was treated like I was contagious since my opinion was not theirs.
This year in purgatory there was a an organizational move to strengthen the IIRA.
ALl I can suggest is to attend just one event and you will see what the IIRA really stands for. The IIRA has, and is a brotherhood,of old friends and ones you have not made yet
tinker said…
The first and second years of Durango (including the shirts). Seems like I struck a nerve...
Unknown said…
I joined IIRA 5 years ago. I was mostly alone in my area with my Indian. I was dreaming about owning one since 2009 but wasn't able to afford one of those. I joined IIRA to learn about the brand and about new era bike issues. I learn a lot about the bikes (Gilroy, KM, SL) but I learned more about people. I didn't attend IIRA annual event because of the distance but I did the Ride to the Barn 3 times and I met IIRA people there and became friend with them. Not easy to start an IIRA chapter here, most of the people don't speak English. When IMRG started here, I joined them and after a couple of years, I became an officer. I was thinking I can help them to do better but... Anyway, at a time, they said I can't wear Officer patch AND my IIRA patch. So I never sewed these officer patch because, despict the distance, I feel more tightly connected to IIRA than IMRG, a factory group. I still have IMRG round patch on one side and IIRA on the other. No big patch on the back. If I need one day to remove some, I'll keep IIRA. I know that if I request help while doing one of my very frequent trip in the USA, I will certainly got some from another member. And I already got some offers from some and have gave some help to other.
RickkciR said…
Steve, first .. I'm just spouting my opinion, based on my experiences and a few facts out there. One of those facts is as a member of the IIRA, you can't hold an officer position in the IIRA and a similar organization. Funny part is .. I don't remember where I read that. I believe it was in the documentation from when I started my own chapter. One would assume I'd go find that and put it here as 'proof' .. but.. this is just my Blog ... my rambling corner of the world? .. But .. in all fairness .. it makes sense. Being an 'officer' of multiple groups splits ones time and ... creates a potential situation that is hard to explain but obvious to me. When I joined the CMVA I initially felt like I was 'cheating' ... Most of the folks in in are hardcore... all in. Similar with many of the IIRA. It's a mindset. I've found common ground for myself, but I still tread 'carefully' . Rob W. brought up the IMRG also ... hell.. I'm a lifetime member of that. Nothing saying someone can't split their time between ALL associations .. groups... but... by doing so .. are we not just .. .. 'participants?' Me personally... I've taken this more serious than some. And doing so , it takes up a lot of ones time.... mind share. And due to my location and events I've attended over the last 8 years..... seen some dirt out there and infighting and BS between groups.. that has... cemented my attitude on the whole subject. I didn't address Tinker's comments... I'm aware of his frustrations... When we (IIRA) have our 2019 National event .. I'm hoping a LOT of folks roll in and we take this all to the next level. But for someone from Canada ... it's a helluva drive and not an easy option.
Mark Barrhelmie said…
i belong to many clubs ( mostly classic one make clubs). but my Iron Indian Riders Australia is meaningful to me. It is somewhat different to the USA version in that many of us have Vintage Springfields, Gilroy and Km as well as a large number of polaris’s too.
Im saddened we are not more connected due to some politics that happened before my time of joining.
Unknown said…
This is Superb. I want to tell you how much I appreciated your clearly written and thought-provoking article.


Thanks!
embroidery patches for clothes
leather vest back patches