Out with the Old and In with the ... ummm... Old

Been blogging for the last year about losing weight.  I've done this slowly over time and now down approximately 40 lbs give or take a few, depending on the time of the day.    Over the last decade, I've purchased 3XL shirts more and more, since 2XLs are a notch shorter and when they shrink, sometimes unwearable for me.  So, the ultra comfy 3XLs have been my go to.   Kicker is ... I never packed away my 2XLs that still reside in the closet....  they've been there waiting for me (with a small smattering of 3XLs tucked away in the mix).  Not all shirts are sized equal and many of them still fit, even if a notch snug around the belly?  I chose to keep all my 3XLs in my dresser for easy access.  Then ... also on the dresser.  Then, on my recliner.  It'd gotten out of control.  I contemplated packing away the 2XLs . .... but .. them 3XLs were getting looser.   The other day, mama' said it was time for them to go.  They were starting to bag off me.  My weight is now under 290 and the 2XLs... fit again.

So, picked up a storage bin (grabbed a few extra for other projects) to pack the few 3XLs I have away.  Then the fun began.  Drawer 1 ... 2.... 3 ..   Then, the dozens of shirts that have piled up lately on top of the dresser.  Few over on the recliner.  Foot of the bed's dresser.  Damned if one container wasn't overflowing by now.   Well, I'm on a roll so I head into the closet and start going through my stash there.   To say I have a lot of shirts is an understatement.   Well, every once in awhile I come across an 3XL in there, so I decided to go through .. ALL .. of them.  Found another dozen in there for the container.   These are ALL motorcycle related.   All the Jeep related, "old men rule", SCUBA  and other misc shirts, I keep in a different dresser.

I realize a few things, right off the bat.  First, I have way too many that still have new tags on them.  WTF?  Out of sight, out of mind I guess.   Bottom of the pile or back of the closet.  I tend to have my fav's so they get put in accessible locations (ie top of the pile!).  Secondly, I realize I still buy way too many HD shirts.   I still have my FLTRX and HD always has cool dealer shirts.  So, guilty.   I have a bad habit of picking one up one or two, here and there.  Even in Mexico they have them in the stores and I grab the cool ones.   Third thing I realize is I have a shitload of Indian shirts tucked in there, in places I didn't realize so they don't get worn.  Fixed.  Last, and the cool part.   I have a LOT of event and rally shirts.  That became the highlight of yesterday for me.   ROT RALLY, LSR, Daytona, Sturgis, BBBQ, Vegas.  IIRA events. Years and years of the hill country and Three Sisters rides and shirts. Found myself smiling and smirking remembering all the good times.  My first trip to Sturgis was in '86.  ROT was first back in '06.  BBBQ's first was back in '09.   Years and years of shirts, in there annotating those trips, and many of the years/rallies in between then and now.  I'm smiling as I type this!

Well, when the smoke cleared I had 3 containers of shirts ready for storage.   Incredible.   I made the mistake of mentioning this on Social Media w/o the disclaimer that I was keeping them.   Had several folks reach out asking if I'd part with them.  Others recommending I make a quilt out of them.  But, for me, there are a lot of memories in there.  A lot of cash tied up in the damned things.  And though I hope I never, ever, am able to wear them again in my lifetime...... never say never. Shit Happens? So, into the building they go.  I didn't count them,  but initially I thought there were 2 or 3 dozen.  I'm thinking there are between 60 and 100 shirts there.  Crazy!




Buried in there I came across 3 shirts that I thought I'd disposed of a few years ago in the fireplace, brand new never worn.  I think I'll drape them over a target and get some firing practice with them; maybe make a video?  OOOOoooowwwwww (that's my wolf voice) .. LMAO

Surprisingly, I'm not quite into the next pants size down.  I'm guessing when I get under 280, I'll be packing away a dozen pair of jeans and pulling out....  all the olds ones I stored away a few years back waiting for this moment.   Hey .. at least it's less than a dozen jeans.

Comments