King of the Pool - Secrets Cozumel

Last month we had a once in a lifetime event with a crazy snow storm and low temps in Texas.  We were supposed to fly out to Cozumel that week and the flights kept changing.  After the third cancel/reschedule, we pulled the plug.   Our reschedule would be 30 days later  ....   we just got back from that awesome trip.

Secrets Aura in Cozumel Mexico is our destination.  AA flies directly into the Island and we snagged First Class seats both directions, so score!  We're traveling with Jerry and Donna Kea whom we are good friends with .. score!  We thought one or two other couples would also make the trip but it'd just be for the four of us which turned out perfect. Beni' of smaller groups is it's easier to find places to link up and ease of lunch/dinner since most tables are setup for four folks.

Night before we head to Rick/Holly's place to drop off Peanut.  After a killer dinner and drinks at

Salsas

Salsa's,. we head to Dallas.  We have a room at the Marriott which is 'free' since I've got points and vouchers.  Then it's down to the hotel bar for drinks before we call it a night.  Few hours sleep, we jump in our Jeep and head to the airport.  With my Air Medal on the license plates our parking is free so Main Terminal parking, check in, head to the Admirals club and we're soon drinking Bloody Mary's and Mimosas.  Another hour or so and we're loading  up and headed to Mexico with the Keas .. Vaca Time!

 

Hate these friggn' masks

We've cracked the code on the transportation to the hotel, so upon landing we drop $23 for a private car to take us the rest of the way. Upon arrival, Yussell our favorite guy is right there to meet us and ensure our bags make it to the room. We're soon checking in, sipping drinks from the Preferred Lounge and we've got one last thing to deal with.  I realize the guy that's walked us here and acting all important is

Cozumel, we have arrived

... actually working for UVC.  So we get our packet from him with weak discounts, put up with five minutes of him telling us why we should go to a presentation  .. but I give him a quick example of why I think the whole thing is a scam .. .and ... he's gone.  We've got a few hours before our rooms are avail, but we've got A/C, and an open bar next to us ... so ...   we put the feet up and let the drinking begin!   We get some good news and we get the Beach Front room we expect, on the bottom floor next to the rooms we previously had.  Score!   Soon, we're changing into swimsuits and off to the pool  It's only 3pm and sunny and warm out there...   Lucy's got a B'day banner on the door, some killer B'day cake in the room with a bottle of Champagne awaiting us...   It's Day one!  We'll work our way to the Mexican restaurant later for some killer Fajitas and Margaritas... followed by a quick stop at the Swing Bar.  That day is now in the books

Man I slept like crap.  Too much JD and Scotch AND .. I forgot to bring my CPAP.  This is going to get ugly! Eventually the sun is up, I'm moving and it's time for some mimosas.   As it'll turn out, I'll stay away from Bloody Mary's (my normal required morning 'upper') the entire time on the island, but Mimosas will be our go to! After a nice breakfast at the Market Cafe, we work our way over the pool which will be our daily routine for the week.  By 11am it'll be rocking every day. Order quesadillas and/or burritos every day pool side, and it's hard to beat. Don Julio will be flowing every day in killer margaritas.   Damned I love this place....  Today is Lucy's 60th B'day and she's a' celebrating!  Tonight we'll wander up to the Sky Bar for some awesome views of the sunset. She's looking awesome and hot. So after beautiful evening we meander back to our room for some private time.  What a day.

Friday is here.. we hit the reset button and do it all over again.  Killer breakfast on the porch of our room beach side, pool time, hit a restaurant for some seafood.. and ... call it a night.   I'm beat!

Our Daily Breakfast .. .fit for a King

We're changing it up .   Today we grab a 'private' cab and head around the Island.  We get a price we can all agree on and we are headed South. Reggae Beach bar is always our first stop.  Second up is Coconuts. We normally hit a few more but opt to head into San Miguel to Woody's and do some shopping.  Still by the time this is done, we'll have been out n' about for five hours!  So back to Secrets, the Windows Bar for some cold ones then into the restaurant for some great food.   Then .... drag my ass back to the room.  Having fun is work.


Sunday is a calm day.  Killer breakfast on the porch, grab some lounge chairs early for the beach.  After a day lounging in the sand, move the pool for some more drinks and more Water Volleyball (we'll play this pretty much ever day).  I'm loving this; I've always been pretty good at Volleyball, and since 80% of the folks playing... aren't .. we'll, one can have some fun with 'em all.  Trick is don't take it to serious.

Monday ... where is the time going? Grab some lounge chairs at the pool... breakfast on the porch ... then Lucy and I head early to the pool around 9am.  It's quiet and perfect to get some laps in.  Still, a few hours later its' filling up and ... we do it all over again meeting new folks, volleyball .. and just a good overall time. Everyday , we meet new folks here.  A large contingent of folks have come in from MN and WI.   Good people and we spend a lot of time BSing with them over the week.  Towards the end of this day, a lady about five years older than me, with her husband in tow and tells me they've been referring to me as "King of the Pool!" After I'm snickering I'm like "WHAT?  Why?"  They've been listing to me the last two days and apparently impressed by all my rambling on subjects I've had opinions on, while sipping all that Don Julio...   haha.. still cracks me up.  'King of the Pool'.. .you know .. I kinda dig it.    Well, we head back up to the Sky Bar for the sunset. Then .. .back to the room. What a day ...

Tuesday. Can't believe it's here already.  Original plan was to hit the pool with a late checkout, but .. .I'm kind of comfortable on our back porch after breakfast and mimosas.  So, hit the fridge in  my room for some cold ones and we just enjoy the view from the patio. I'm catching up on work emails .. and ...  realizing its almost time.  Around 1, we're checked out and getting into a taxi.  We've done our COVID tests per TSA/CDC requirements, we've got the bags loaded and we're off to the airport. Few hours later we're airborne and I'm beat.  I mean REALLY beat.  Feel like I've hit a wall after going 100mph the last several days.   We've still got to pickup up Peanut by we'll be home and calling it a night by 10pm.  

Now ... I sit here planning the next trip.  It'll be here sooner than one thinks....  Starting to think I should buy a place on the Island... would it be cheaper overall?  Would I go there more often?  Hmmmm ...   I'm full of shit on this subject.. but.. it still crosses my mind .. often

 




Our Room's killer view/location

Birthday Girl!

Can't beat our room view

Birthday Girl!



I'm beat .. time for a nap

Hardly got any pics of the two of this trip

Reggae Bar!

Climbing up to the top

Yep .. my chair at coconuts.  JS

Me and my Bride






View from the Sky Bar

Few hours before heading home... Margaritas!

About time to load it up and head home to Tejas

 





 

 



Comments