Galveston is ..... 'changing'

 As I've written before, we've been regulars down here on the Island since the late 90's.  It's simply a matter of convenience; head south and five hours later you're sipping a beer watching/listening to the Gulf of Mexico with it's waves and salty breeze.  I've always loved it; still do.  But..............

Came down yesterday to take care of some things.  It's also the first time we've been to the big house since before the freeze months ago.  Rolled in around 5pm and it was BUSY.  Felt like memorial day weekend.  Cars up and down the seawall for miles and miles., both sides...  WTF?   Well, with the COVID BS going away, and the proximity to Houston .. .my belief is Houstonians made a huge migration to the Island for the weekend in search of fresh air free from the Wuhan Virus worries.  Still, WAY to many still wore masks... I honestly don't get that.  Riding in golf carts, bikes, walking .. with masks.  On the beach .. in masks.  You can't fix Stupid!

Over the years I've noticed something.  Nothing bad, but .... obvious.  Started with the Bike Rally in Nov a few years back.  Then on some of the big Holidays down here.  The first time I keyed on it, I felt wrong for even thinking .. noticing it.. but...   it's true.  Lets just say .. the ethnicity of the tourists visiting the island, has changed.  I remember years ago where I read it was somewhat of a Redneck destination.  I snickered, though I could see why folks might say that.  I mean, from around 61st all the way to Pleasure Pier, you noticed a certain .....   majority  .. of tourists.  This ain't California or Miami folks.  But, I found it relaxing... a good time.   I can afford to go pretty much anywhere I want and this is what I choose; often.  But the last few years, it's begun to feel a lil more like South Beach.  I swear, yesterday 75% of the visitors on the Island were Black with a mix of Hispanics.  Now, is that a problem ?  Of course not, but ... the change to me was somewhat striking.   Interestingly, the minute you go west of say .. .90th street .. it feels different.  Like it always has.  You have mostly home owners and locals this direction, with a smattering of weekenders' renting homes.  Several nice restaurants on this end that aren't as 'touristy'.     Why does this all matter?  Well... it doesn't.  But ....  it's so obvious that I'm surprised I've never heard or read anything on it.   Hell, I was trying to figure out if there was an event I was unaware of yesterday.  I mean, for miles and miles on the beach... there were large groups of a dozen to few dozen folks everywhere, on the beach.  The traffic was crazy with a lot of idiots doing stupid shit (illegal U Turns, etc).  And Hip Hop music blaring with " mother fucker" this and that, in the lyrics.  Not the norm.

Not sure if it's a positive or a negative... but ...  on 61st and eastward Golf Carts have always been allowed on the paved roads, but now....  several rental places have opened up and they are everywhere.  Scooter rentals are popping up, but didn't see too many out n' about.   Slingshot rentals are hot down here (have been for a few years).  But it all added to the crazy traffic yesterday.  I never used to key on what a tourist magnet/mecca the island is, but it's glaringly obvious now.  Leanne and I were discussing it yesterday and realized we both feel similar on it.  We enjoy the west side restaurants.  The downtown strand area. But the Seawall on weekends and holidays.... meh!   

Few more trips scheduled for this summer with family and friends down here this summer.  I'm going to start rethinking our destinations and fine tune where our time is spent while supporting the economy.  Should be an interesting summer to see how all these new businesses affect it all with the traffic flow, etc.

Flip Flops, East of the chaos .. beachside

View from my Deck... hard to beat!



Comments