I feel the need .. the need.. for SPEED!

 What a pain in the ass!

Got the new Internet finally ordered up on Monday.  The local office is just down the street from me so I'm thinking ... quick call, pick up the modem and roll.  I've got Fiber to the house and this is supposed to scream upwards for 1,000Mbs for downloads.. that's over 4x what I'm getting in Galveston and 125x what I'm getting in Greenville, so I'm psyched!  Well, almost.....

Turns out the local office is STILL closed due to Wuhan Virus crap, so they are going to send it via UPS 1-3 business days... grrrrr.. oh well, whats a few more days of Hot spotting off our phones?   Just .. a pain in the ass is all.  Well, sure enough yesterday afternoon my local UPS dude rolls up, we get an opportunity to chat .. and .. I've got my equipment!  I've been sipping at the beach, but no buzz so lets hook this up real quick ...... .not. For the life of me I can't login via wireless; the SSID and password are on the modem but no go.  Tried it multiple ways (what if I screwed up the upper / lower case, etc) .. no go.  Tried it from mama's phone..no go.  WTF?  After a ridiculous amount of effort on my part, throw in the towel and turn on hotspot again; time for some Netflix ...

Well .. this morning before I call the company up ... lets try this again.  Same result. From my laptop, same result.  I decide to manually connect up with the supplied Ethernet cable, but my laptop doesn't have an RJ45 port.   Arrrrgggghhh!   Well, over some java on the front porch I'm getting an email from the company saying I've received it, blah blah blah .. and they have some instructions.....  this shit isn't rocket science, but hey .. I'll watch the video.  Well, in the video they mention one lil item ...  connect up to it with our computer via Ethernet to imitate the connect to turn on your account. WTF?  I've always done this crap via WiFi.  BUT, what if you don't have Ethernet / RJ45???   Hmmmmmm...  Well, I'd connected up my TV physically to it via Ethernet, it showed the IP address of the modem and it's DHCP address .. so I know it's 'alive' .. but .. nothing .. nada...   I'm about to throw in the towel and make the call probably to some red dot in Indian .. when ...  I have an idea.

I'm already connected via the TV so I go searching through all it's Apps and sure enough buried in there is an Internet Browser.   Well, go to the 192.168.0.1 Modem IP and ... BAM .. I'm in!    The company's startup URL info is there and use the remote as a 'mouse' and click on "Start" to initiate my account/modem .. ..  ... and it gives me the opportunity to change the wireless name to something with meaning and a new password instead of that crazy one that comes with the modem.  Then the dozens of dozens (it seemed) reboots until after 20 minutes....... works!

Now .. how the hell someone without the tools to do this could have accomplished this task is beyond me.   I call BS.  Now... .. maybe if you called them, they could see the box on their network and initiate it from their end... but ... damned.. give me a fucking break.  I should have been able to connect to the WiFi network with the supplied WiFi password and simply hit 'connect' as I did via a Ethernet connected Browser.....  

Oh well.. this thing hauls ass. Check out that low 9ms ping.. bam!  Makes me want to hook up a desktop for some old school gaming .. or my XBox ....   Not the 1,000 Mbps they teased with .. but..

ZOOM ZOOM!

 

Comments