Act your wAge!

"Live within your Means"

This is an age old saying.  One I see "Dave Ramsey" mention often.  One that for more than two decades I didn't abide by.  But somewhere around the age of 44 I woke up.  Wife and I both woke up.  Took a few years but by the time I was 49, we were on a roll. Out of debt, able to buy a few toys and start traveling.  I'm now over 60 now and enjoying the ride... but.. wasn't always that way. 

I've historically loved my toys.  I remember one of my closest friends Greg always saying back in our mid twenties, "he who dies with the most toys wins!" and we lived our lives like that.  He was always a step ahead of me, with a nicer/faster bike, nicer/faster car.  Then we both started having kids, had to back off and live a 'responsible' life.  But, deep down I always wanted that again.  For most of my adult life, I've always had a motorcycle.  Had a Jeep.  Had a Sports Car.  Usually they were older and lower cost.  The bikes were usually Jap bikes; nice, dependable, and cheap.  Jeeps had big tires and money pits. For awhile, they were older and rusty but I loved 'em.  Sports cars...  older Camaros, Trans Am's. Always had the itch.  Never really grew out of it.  But, I didn't make the big jump until I was in my late 40s.  Then had a couple of Corvettes (both were preowned)... then got mama a nice SUV.  And when I was 49 .. made the big jump... that set things in motion.  At 49 years old,  I got an Indian Motorcycle.  

For most of my adult life I rode Jap bikes.  Had a several Kawasaki's and a Suzuki.  They were a fraction of what folks were paying for a Harley Davidson. My 2022 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 was BIGGER than HDs of the time.  I felt nicer and better quality.  But... wasn't American Iron.  But it cost a fraction of what they cost.  And to be honest, I couldn't really afford one in my 20s and 30s and most of my 40s.  But in 2009 I made the leap and never looked back.  Then I got another .. and another .. and .

Now...here's my problem and my point of this post.  I didn't make that jump until I was living within my means. I have trouble understanding how folks are riding a high dollar HD (or similar bike) that they are making payments on but can't afford to travel. Can't afford to go out. Sometimes have trouble making the monthly payment.  WTF are you doing with that bike in the first place?  Get rid of it and go get a lower cost Jap bike!  Or a lower cost OLDER HD or Indian; they are out there! I'm sorry .. I simply don't get it.  I didn't do it until I could truly afford it.  And just because you can make a payment on a bike or a car doesn't mean one can afford it.  I'd argue unless you paid cash, you can't truly afford it.  I know .. I know.... and yes.. I've owned many a vehicle during my lifetime I made payments on.... to include a few motorcycles in my 20s.  A lot of cars and Jeeps in my 20s and 30s.  And for some, making payments can make sense, especially if they TRULY know how to Budget.  Or if they are paying minimal interest instead of using cash they had.  I get it.   But to play keep up with the Jones or feed one's ego by making payments on something that is disastrous in their budget and to their family's financial future;  I don't get it.

Trust me ... it's never too late to change and get in the game.  I no longer have any sympathy for folks that created their own mess.  I hint all the time on the Dave Ramsey process to get one out of debt and on the road to Financial Freedom. There are other methods that bring one to Financial Success as well.  But talking about it and doing it are two different things.  And drowning in debt ain't one of them.

Live your Wage

Live within Your Means

Living Paycheck to Paycheck with a high dollar vehicle a payment? Stupid









Comments

Unknown said…
Words of Wisdom. My Dad drummed that in my head at a early age. He grew up in the depression, WWII so that was a lifestyle.

Are you heading to Hot Springs for the Indian Rally?
RickkciR said…
Negative... I went to the first one back around '14... and was at the Gregory event in '19 .. but otherwise ... don't attend that one