Secrets Maroma Beach Review : Trip #3

Don't think I've ever done a full blown review on this property. We first went several years ago, just the wife and I.  Then back in '20 for my B'day with friends and family. This time a trip with Friends that I've worked with over the last 21+ years.  This time was the best (from a resort/service perspective), since the resort has stepped up it's game, hence the review this time around.

We've only done two locations over the last few decades, this one and the Cozumel location (dozen trips to Coz).  This one (Maroma Beach) is by far much nicer, but I don't have any others to compare it to within the chain.  I've been to some high end Iberostar and Barcelo locations though. 

We always select the "Preferred" option.  Why?  Well, just because.  Until this trip I honestly don't have a better answer.  I could afford the additional cost so I did it.  When the smoke cleared after each trip, I sometimes thought "well... was it actually worth it?"  Yet.... next trip... again.   Well now I finally have reason enough to believe it was worth it.  All three of my trips were in swim outs. There are non-preferred swim out rooms but not sure what building those fall in.  First one was building 27, Beachfront Suite. Second trip, building 26 swim out suite.  This trip, building 17, Beachfront Presidential Suite (big and nice!).  The service has always been great but I don't have anything to compare it to (non preferred).  We have access to the Preferred Club, but I wonder sometimes if other folks aren't 'sneaking' in since you aren't wearing a wrist band and I've never seen anyone asked for their room number (I know they do for a fact at the Coz' location).   Additionally, last trip we had access to a Preferred Club 'room' for sorts in building 27 that was poolside and had access to the beach with top shelf liquors, etc.   Also a preferred only beach area that was well.... empty and looked boring.   However this trip, it was changed up.  They now have a new Preferred Beach Club next to building 27 by the pool where the service was impeccable and had an awesome beachfront access.  On the weekend nights, it's a money maker for them where you are up-charged for wine, lobster, etc.  But ... $120 bux a couple.. WTF....  go for it.  Great experience.   Additionally, the beach area in front of building 27 is preferred only with Bali Beds (upcharge for about $50 each .. worth it).  I heard a rumor they used to be 'free' for preferred but now cost $ after the Hyatt purchase of Secrets.   Still, we enjoyed it... actually the first time in 25 years of doing these type of trips we ever utilized one on the beach.  Won't be my last time.   Throughout the rest of the resort, there didn't seem to be a difference on how you were treated preferred or non preferred, but again .. .I have nothing to reference it against.  My experience.. excellent.

UVC Club.  ( https://rickkkcir.blogspot.com/2020/09/unlimited-vacation-club-legit.html ) I've wrote about this before so I won't touch on it here.  We had a "host" during checkout gives us discount coupons and recommended we see him for another meeting for additional discounts, etc.   Read my UVC Club post for more info.   

Food:  We didn't eat at all the restaurants but our experience at the ones we did were excellent.  Seaside Grill, Oceana, Hibachi, Italian, Preferred Beach Club and room service, all really good.  Folks in our group said the breakfast buffet was pretty good.   

Service:  EVERYWHERE .... pretty much EVERYONE .. were professional, courteous and nice.  This was a change from in the past for me.   I can't help but think management is pushing this hard and the results awesome.  Most spoke great English. All spoke some English that I interacted with.

Beach Area: I hung out in front of Building 27 which is the preferred area.  I opted for the Bali beds ($50 after discount coupon) had awesome service, no searching for a lounger, etc.  In fact each one had two loungers included.  The beach concierge kept our ice bucket filled.  The server our drink glasses filled.  What more could you want?  Oh yeah..... lunch on the beach...  she brought that as well!

Pool area:  Can't believe I'm going to say this.. but NEVER hit the big pool(s) this trip.  We had swim up buildings and utilized their pools.  I can tell  you that pretty much every lounger had a towel on them and the towel game was in full swing.  I walked to/from breakfast at 0800/0900 and quite a few were still open though.   Nice part of the pool is the Pool bar and the Pizza and Taco stand near Bldg 26. 

This was one of the best trips I've had in over two decades to an AI.  Would I do it again? Hell yes.  But, thinking of changing it up to Secrets Akumal or something on the Pacific side next trip ... just because



Paradise

Bali Beds

Dinner on the beach






Comments

Darla said…
Incredible trip! One thing you didn’t mention was the entertainment! Over the top — so much funny! The silent disco was a blast! Great trip definitely one i will always treasure!
RickkciR said…
Was an AWESOME TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!