Drivers' License

Expired over 4 months ago.  I tend to roll at excessive speeds so was a lil' concerned about it biting me in the ass.  Tried to setup appointments but either the website didn't work, I had a calendar conflict, or.....   eventually I just forgot about it.   Headed back from MS this past Thursday and Lucy reminds me I need to get it done.  I tell her about my predicament. So, she pulls up a search engine on her iPhone and starts surfing.  Twenty to thirty minutes later she's made progress and is telling me they only have an opening over two months out at the usual locations... but  .. Emory has one in the morning. Emory?  I had no idea they did this ... 28 years here, and no idea. Well, 0815 I've got an appointment.   

Headed out a notch early and stopped in at Sidekicks. It was a topic of discussion on the way home as well. One of only two places in Hunt, Raines or Rockwall county we are aware of that has a "No Colors" sign up.  But, she also noticed they serve breakfast so .. I'm in.  Roll in around 0715 and I'm the first customer. Two more will show up before I shovel down my chow and off to my appointment.  As I near the end of my meal, my waitress is standing near me BSing so .. . I pop the question.  "How long have you all had the No Colors sign up?"  Now .. I know the answer.  I'd rode in here with a group a few times and it was never posted.  But in the summer of '21 an MC with a bad rep was going to be in the county and that went up.  What I didn't expect was her answer.  "What Sign?"   I tell her the one at the front entrance/desk.  She not only doesn't know it's there but has no idea what it means.  So I explain it to her and she's really confused.  We have Motorcycle groups come in all the time on weekends for breakfast and lunch she tells me.  They are wearing vests with backpatches and it's never been an issue, she adds.  Huh?  Well.... I let it go but ...  lets just say the entire subject strikes a nerve with me; long story.

Well, out the door and headed off to find the License office.  I roll right past it and have to double back. It's in a small older house/building and ...  barely noticeable.  Ten minutes in line and I'm in.  I've ready with ALL my paperwork.  Old license, birth certificate, Social Security card, Passport and a copy of my DD214 on my phone.  She grabs my passport and starts the process.  I've annotated on the paperwork that I'm a veteran so she asks me for my DD214.  I mention too bad they can't just take my ID Card.  She see's it and I'm surprised that's good enough as I hand it over.  I tell her the 'last time' I had to show my DD214 to get "veteran" on my Drivers License (didn't have it on me so never got annotated).  Apparently they changed it a year ago, and this suffices, but not a VA card.  Huh?  Why not I ask... and ...  she agrees with me thinking it's a stupid rule.  Hey, at least a lil progress with the requirements?  Well, ten minutes at her desk and I'm walking out the front door.  Fastest in/out in the last 28 years.  

Progress.  Gotta' love small towns.


Sidekicks front desk

Do you feel safe now too?

Contradiction?
BUT....  breakfast was good!  I'll be back.. with no vest



Comments