Behaviour ....

 I over think shit all the time....  one of the things that's made me whom I am.  Now, that's not always a good thing, but in the overall picture I view it as  a positive.  When I do something, I'm always wondering what's 'next' before I even accomplish the first thing.  After doing some things... almost anything .. I wonder if I could have done it better.  What would I do if I did it all over again.  And, most of the time I'm willing to share that info off.  Hell, I'm probably too much of an open book with this blog the last decade.

Well, a group I'm with just finished an awesome event for the Association I ride with (Shindig) .  My plan is to do an after actions report of some sort; unofficial but for my own use.  The last two years has been an interesting one based around this event.  Why?  Human Behaviour.

Why do some folks feel the need volunteer for the events?  I get that 'somebody' has to.  I volunteer for shit all the time. But WHY did those particular people volunteer and what were their motivations?  Did they wake up feeling like a Girl Scout or did they need some type of recognition?  Do people actually think shit through of all the implications or figure they'll just throw their concept against a wall and see what sticks?  Who joins the fray with them?   Man ... got to tell you .. it's not the way I operate.

And along the way, you see the mesh .. or lack of  .. .with personalities in pursuing a common goal. You get to see some shine above the rest.  Some show their weaknesses for all.  Some are glory hounds.  Some are hard fucking workers .  Many are focused, too many are clueless.  Many are rock stars.  Some are POS'.  Now I'm not necessarily talking about this specific event, but life overall.  However, a lot of correlations can be drawn.   Hell, I've always spoke of the 20/80 rule.  You can use it how you want.  In a task environment, 20% do 80% of the work (usually pretty close).  In a sales world, 20% of the customer base may bring in 80% of the revenue.  Take a group of folks and 20% of the group are willing to step up to run things while 80% remain quiet.   I've found that this 20/80 can be used in most situations.   I wrote about this in my post yesterday (Shindig).  

What has me writing this today?  Sometimes folks push for recognition.   I guess I've been guilty of it during my lifetime, probably too often.  I mean, I enjoyed .. felt I earned ...  the medals and awards I received during my military career.  Guilty of seeing some folks receive something and think "that's it? I did more than that shit.".  But I'm also respectful ... thankful, of those that go over and beyond and receive the recognition they deserve.  Sometimes I'm thinking "Holy crap ... I'd never have done that ... you go!".   But, what bothers me is when someone believes they deserve something when most everyone else did more.  Or was willing to do more but not given the opportunity.  When someone pushes to get recognition for some that they didn't truly earn.  When they strut around thinking they did more than they did.  You see this all the time in life. I've seen it in my career over the last few decades.  I like to think I'm not guilty of it, but I'm sure there's somebody out there thinking "WTF?  You don't remember when .. .."    LOL.  Hey ... nobody's perfect.

Still ... I find myself sitting back and digesting shit as of late.   Notch frustrated by a few who do lets say ... .. ZERO.  In my job/career,  we fire them.   In friendships, we eliminate them.  In life, sometimes we just have to ignore them.  But here I sit typing .. thinking about it..   sipping my Java thinking about things .. the future .... my future.  

Guess it's great to be perfect huh?  Now, Lets all raise our feet because the shit just got deep.   Still, I'm thinking "how to raise the bar".  How to make things better.  What's Next?   Hmmmmmmmm








Comments