The 1901 Rally - First Annual

Man, I used to be crazy about attending many of these rallies.  Used to head to MN for upwards of a decade before I realized I'd grown out of it (that's an understatement .. IYKYK .. lol).  Attended a few IRIP in Branson, until the IIRA/IOA fiasco.  Then IIRA Reunions (3 in Durango, 1 in TX).  Few in the Hill Country that occurred in Apr by a local rider. Then all the other Indian related events that tied back to my first choice of Motorcycle Brand over the last 15 years. Throw in all the Big Rallys where we hung together (Sturgis, Daytona, BBBQ, ROT, LSR, etc). Only one I never got to visit on my bucket list was The Rendezvous' in Durango every year. ....  point being you meet a LOT of people, get tight  with a LOT of people.  Many of those, attend multiple events throughout the year so you never know whom you're going run into.   But ..... but .. I hate to admit it, I'd got a lil worn out on much of it and switched gears a notch about 6 years ago. Six years ago, I patched into the CVMA.  It's modified my attitude a notch, I'm not quite as brand fanatical as I once was (but ... still spew INDIAN when asked!), love riding with my Brothers and Sisters from various Services of our great Nation, all on different brands (mostly HD of course).  Sort of .. my new life I guess.


Well, last year I got an invite to a new rally I'd become aware of.  Threw me off a notch when I first saw it.  Is this legit, I wondered?  I researched the info that was included and saw names I didn't recognize. Saw a few that had me initially concerned due to a lot of infighting that's occurred in the community the last decade or so.  I was wondering 'whom' is actually putting this together?   Well, early on all I really saw was the Poster for it and an invite going around.  No big page just a FB group.  Initially I joined it, then exited it thinking I wouldn't attend.  Then few months back I realized some folks I knew were going, so rejoined the group.  Problem was ... schedule conflicts.  I've never made it to the Fandango Rally in Fredericksburg because of conflicts.  I'm normally in Mexico that week for the last five years.   The 1901 Rally looked to conflict with my schedule.  Then back in October I assumed a position within our CVMA Chapter that ensured I wouldn't be doing Mexico this year, much less these two rally's in the Hill Country.  The dates and the thoughts of attending them became a blur of sorts.  Put them aside in my mind and moved on........ I had a large event coming up April 4/5/6 th that had my full attention.  Had my priority.

Tamara Smith

Well, that first Sunday in April was now behind me after an awesome weekend of our Chapter putting hosting our State SCOM Mtg and Shindig. I was decompressing and recovering for no better words.  Catching up on work now and reading info coming across my screen via social media. That Sunday morning a friend of mine checked in at Buc-ees in Royce City.  Well, she's out of Ohio so it caught my eye.  I was bummed I'd missed her traveling through .. then looking closer at her post I realize she's headed South ... not North.  Throws me off initially because for some reason I thought the 1901 Rally was the same weekend as our Chapter event.   Now, I'm scrambling to figure out what I'd missed.  Not only is the 1901 Rally coming up the next weekend, but so is the Fandango Rally.  Eventually, I'd figure out the Fandango Rally WAS the same weekend as my event, but they changed it due to the Solar Eclipse fiasco.  Explains a little.  Still, I'm in disbelief I didn't realize this and skipped it....  so ... I did what I do.

Researched all the info and checked availability at the Host Hotel.  They've been sold out for many months but, room avail (someone had apparently just canx), so locked it down.  Little expensive, but WTF. Can always canx it if needed.  But, I had plans to head to Ft Worth for a CVMA meeting and I've convinced myself the CVMA is more important.  While double checking our State calendar for Ft Worth specific, I realize the Alamo Chapter ALSO has a meeting that weekend.  I know it's close to the Hill Country so now my brain is lit up and full on. Verify it's still going, do some route planning and now ... time to ask for the Kitchen Pass.  Mama is caught off guard a notch, but gives me the thumbs up.  So now I'm asking a buddy of mine if he's interested but he can't pull it off.  However, I've got a dentist appointment I can't miss on Thursday.  I don't want to go down for less than 48 hours so ... after the drilling, I'm on the bike.  One last thing... I call the Best Western Hotel to verify and by the time I get off the phone, they changed me to the 1901 Rally Rate for my room ... SCORE!   

The 1901 Rally had a different vibe I'd picked up on via their FB Page/Group.  Couldn't put my finger on it initially.  Most other rallies push the Indian brand to a nauseating plateau.  Basically, for the most part, if you don't ride an Indian, consider staying home.  Just the way it is.... that's what they are focused on.  Almost funny to see (other rallies) people ask if they buddy or spouse on an Spyder, or HD, or .. whatever can come.  Shit gets a lil weird to put it mildly.   But , 1901 felt different.  They NEVER discussed the brand.  Never felt it was Brand centric.  Maybe that bothered me a little when I first came across it.  But, I believe this .. .is part of it's success.  It pushes riding ...   brotherhood  ...  more than the brand.  Now, anyone with a brain (I hope) can figure out what the core group is going to be.  If it was HD, it'd be the 1903 Rally?  So we all know what the majority is going to be .. maybe all.  But when the smoke would clear, I'm guessing 90% were Indians and an interesting mix of others.  Best, the others fit right in; no BS behind the scenes.  The way it's supposed to be. That's they way it was designed from the get go.  Additionally, I recognized one of the names of the promoters; Daniel Jones.  We'd spoke briefly about 8 or 9 years ago I guess when I was hard core IIRA.  If memory serves me correct, he was out of Houston area, was with the IMRG (factory group), considered IIRA, then went to the IOA.  I didn't agree with his reasoning at the time, we'd never met personally, and ...   that was that. Distant memory.  Sadly, we didn't spend any time together.  Looks to be a really good guy and a main player in the event. Locations, etc were his brain child it looks like... Shame on me; next time. The main promoter Jeff Bacca was a name I didn't recognize. As it'd turn out, I'm probably the only one that didn't know him; LOL.  Leading up to the event, I felt like it was potentially just a low key gathering of folks, drink some beers, do some riding, etc.   As many of them are.  I'd be proven wrong out the gate.

Jeff Baca

As it'll turn out, Jeff Bacca was/is on fire.  He sometimes looked like a one man show, but he had a LOT of folks behind him volunteering their help.  When you registered, he was the guy at the table with the till and the paperwork.  The swag and the till.  All the answers.  Busier than hell, but .. on his game.  They had ride's planned out, sign up sheets, Road Captains for each ride that knew the area like the back of their hand.  Impressive.   Me, I was there because I knew a lot of folks coming in and I hadn't seen them in awhile.  Michael Gingrich is a close friend and we don't see each other enough. I'd never met his bride until now.  Tamara was here and that was another big reason. Michael Tomas (Kiwi Indian) is down at the Fandango Rally and planning to see him.  Had no idea I'd run into 1/2 dozen IIRA folks. No idea Mike Kugler (IRIP) was in town. Carl (IOA) is in town.   Met several CVMA brothers and their wives from various parts of the country.  Met a LOT of new folks and looking forward to seeing them in the future. Every night there was a gathering in the backyard of sorts with a nice pool.  BYOB and music and stogies and fellowship.  Who could ask for more?  Friday night would be an auction with Danny Fluke at the mike.  Danny is a work of art (in a good way) that pulls it off.  He's on his game with the mic in hand and can work the crowd.  When the smoke would clear my wallet was $750 lighter, and SHRINERS thanks to the crowd, would have a donation over $25k(!).  Think about that one for a minute.  Two hundred folks roll in for a first annual event and ... $25k raised.  Incredible.

Friday would be mainly down in Fredericksburg.  The Fandango Rally is about Antique motorcycles and in it's 5th year.  Would love to get my '47 down there some time in the mix. Hell, my '00 Gilroy will 'qualify' in a couple of years!  Once there, make a bee line for Kiwi Indian and find Mike Tomas.  He's a rock star in the Industry. If you love old Indians, you know whom he is. He used to restore them.  Used to make reproductions.  Now, he's mainly focused on the parts industry.  Told me ... I'm 60 .. fuck that shit!  Or .. something like that.....  he's trying to slow down and enjoy the ride a notch.  His bride wasn't on hand but got to spend a few hours with him BSing and catching up before heading into town for some grub and a few cold ones.   I'll make it back to the hotel for the banquet dinner and the auction .. then ... the pool area :)

Well, the 'real' reason I'm here is my CVMA meeting so Saturday morning I head out Hwy 16 through Bandera down to Helotes.  Awesome ride, meeting a large group of my CVMA family and all in all, 8 hours of brotherhood before I find myself back at the hotel. I'm trying to pace myself because I've got to leave in the morning ....  but ...   back in the mix until 1am.  Ouch

Ride home was in the 70's fair skies, zero rain, Sunday traffic.  Not too shabby.  I've got a 1200 time frame setup to meet Lucy and friends so I'm hauling ass up Interstate.  Only thing I'd change is next time, mosey back on two lanes like I did enroute .  Enjoy the view a lil more.

Already planning on next years.  Waiting for them to announce the hotel and locking in!  The 3-6th of APR 2025.  Lock down them dates!   Second Annual 1901 Rally!







Comments