Mexico Transfers - Tourism

 

 

 

 

 




We've been doing the Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel thing for about fifteen years now. Historically I normally book with a travel agent for my Flight/Hotel/Transportation. But, I have to admit I've begun rethinking all this lately ....

First, Cozumel. 

The Fosters' enlightened me a few years ago that a cab is the only way to go.  Upon exiting the terminal you simply walk about 150' to the main road/intersection and grab a cab.  Problem solved!   Hell, whenever we head back to the airport at the end of vaca' we always get shoved in a cab anyways and that was after paying a 'lot' of money for a van, etc.  Just $20 from the end of the island, you are at the airport.  In retrospect, the van's are border line 'theft'.  Problem solved.

Updated Mar 2021: Came across this info the other day.  Apparently when you walk out of the terminal, to your left are these guys.  Compares well to a cab and you don't have to walk out to the intersection. I'm going to give them a try on our next trip!


 

Playa Del Carmen.  

This is about 35-60 minutes or so from the airport for the resorts/downtown area.  I remember back in 2012 was on the 'economy' staying downtown when we needed to get back to the airport the following day. The guy that arranged it all for us told me for $120 his local lil' buddy would take us? "WTF?" came out of my mouth. I walked over to a cab who told us he'd pick us up the next day and do it for $65. To this day I'm thinking the guy that quoted $120 to me face to face, was going to pocket 1/2 if not more of it.   Since then, I've become acutely aware that one particular company seems to do most of the vans and they charge about $50 each way, per person (AMSTAR)?

Well, last week we were in the area and went on a yacht trip. I was told normally that would be about $5k , wold be free that day (long story) but if I joined at UVC would be about $1200 in the future.  Problem is .. I got a card from one of the harbor employees and looked it all up.  I could get a large boat / yacht from $800 - $2,000 and up depending on the size.  Well, the one we were on, a 55 footer?  About $1200 or less.  To add a lil more ammo, a couple we were with (David and Bianca) connected up with Carlos down in Playa and locked in a Catamaran, full service , six hours same as the yacht, max 20 on the boat for $85 each.  With all this ... it got me to really researching.  He spoke great English, proved to be reliable and makes one question some of the guys hawking all this stuff; he was the real deal it turned out.

 I saw some folks bragging on Kalido for transfers, so headed to their page. Found it more than just interesting! Lets talk transfers first!   Clicking on this pic, one can see the pricing.  The wife and I could have taken a private vehicle for only $75 round trip!    If we had six of us in there, $90 which works out to $15 each!  WTF?   I can't believe I've been paying what I have.  I keyed on this a decade ago, but to be honest I just bundle it all up with the travel agency.  No more!

 Well, now I'm looking deeper... Catamaran?Yacht?   Well, with Kalido, they have a half dozen options at least.  For  about $500 you can get a catamaran for 4 hours for everyone.  Lil' over $1k, you can't get a large one for 7 hours.    Now, we are talking!    After our yacht trip last week, I'm seeing the value of all this.  Drinks are included.  Add some port fees and round trip travel, you're in!  Point being that has really opened my eyes

 

 

Now I find myself thinking.. wait.. what about Cozumel?

 Catamaran options!     Wait, someone say Yacht?

Of course, now I'm scheming for our next trip this year.....   this last one has raised the bar!

 

 

 

Comments