AIRBNB IPO

Well, that was a first.  I've wanted to get it on IPOs in the past but I was either .. not in the position to .. or .. well.. didn't understand the process.  In a perfect world, one is an insider and has a fast track to shares so when the opening bell rings, there's a good chance one is in the money!  The rest of us ... are buying them after the prices normally shoot through the roof!  

Well, AirBnB announced it would be IPOing this week and I was frothing at the mouth a lil.  I've been using AirBnB more often and even considered flipping one of my homes into one, as a Host.  I really like their process from a customer perspective and ...  looks like from a Host perspective it rocks.  So, it had my attention.

So, after over thinking this .... I sucked up to mama yesterday morning and ...  attempted to explain 'our' case as to why we should be buying in.  The shares were forecasted to open up at about $65 a share so we could move a couple bux from savings over to the brokerage account.  After twenty minutes or so of discussion, I had approval.  Now, quickly moving funds over literally minutes before the opening bell.  Once I get them wired, I'm starting to do more research.  Well .....   crap.  I stumble across an article from the day before that it could open as high as $150, more than doubling the  shares for those on the inside track ... that doesn't help me any .  Well, actually one could argue it didn't make any difference; I simply can only buy about 40% of the shares I was planning on. Same $ amount.

Well... I'm glued to my computer at the opening bell, on my second cup of coffee and eating breakfast mama cooked up for me.  But.. nothing.  Nada.  I've got a BUY with a LIMIT there of ...  $160  ...  to make sure I get in on it.. and ...  it's quiet.  WTF?  Like I said.. this is the first time I've ever bought shares during an IPO.  After some research I realize .. .they don't offer them up out the gate.  They are expecting around noon .. they will announce. Well.. noon comes and goes.  Now .. non of this is a big deal; I've got an auto trade/buy on .. but...   I'm really focused on this ...   will it open for $65 .. $70.. $100 .. $200?   Well.. around 2:30pm or so CST ... BAM ...   It's live.  I log in and I see my buy for shares at $146.00 completed.  Crap ...   I do a quick trade to get a few more shares and .. I'm out of $.   Done! The rest of the trading day she's between $146 and $149 ....  not sure if if I've made a mistake or finally got in on a golden opportunity

Well ...   It's Friday morning as I type this... my purchase is up 3.82% ... so .. .I'm feeling a sigh of relief.  Now, for some of the lucky investors, I just read where they made 10x (Ten Baggers!) their seed money.  Damned!   For the rest of us.... time to ride this and see how it plays out.  Hoping to go LONG on this one....   hopefully ...   it'll be one of the decisions that work out years down the road... assuming the market doesn't take a dump as it's at near historic highs.....  

Time will tell.  Now... need to save a few bux and see what other IPOs are on the horizon?

 





Comments