Fund Raising via ... Poker Runs?

  Man ..... this is a tough subject for me.  Many organizations that I have ties to .. .belong to ...   are in the 'business' of fundraisers to allow them to have funds to help out the beneficiaries of the particular organization.  But ...   I'm the kind of guy that values his time. I value my own pocketbook. If I'm going to help, I want it to make a difference.  I want the outcome to be 'big.' And what I don't want to do, is spend a dollar to make a dollar.  What does that mean?  Well, here's a perfect example.   Liquor Baskets.   Lets say we're doing an event and we want to raffle or auction off a liquor basket or cart.   Lets say that item has a dozen bottles in it.  A request goes out for members to contribute a bottle for it, so there ends up being 1 or 2 dozen bottles that find their way to a fundraising avenue.  But, at an average cost of say .... $20 a bottle, that's close to $500 for two dozen.  How much did that item(s) bring in ?  IMHO, more often than not .. dollar for dollar, if we are lucky.  Now, if liquor stores were donating these items, I'm all in... but .. we are.  The members of the said organization.  Hell, why don't we just pass a hat, It'd be simpler?  Now, if we are making say $10 or $20 for every $1 we contributed, that's different I guess, but I'm 99% sure that isn't the case.  Here's another example.... Poker Run.  Lets say we do a run and get fifty bikes to register.  At a registration cost of say $20 a rider, that's a quick $1000.  Lets say half the bikes have passengers so at $10 a passenger, that's another $500 bux.  So, the Poker run just made a quick $1500.00 . Well, not bad I guess.  But to do this, that run most likely has five stops.  We're going to need at least 10-20 people to make this happen.  In that mix is all the fuel that is consumed back and forth that day. And maybe previously for some preplanning?   What about everyone's time?  My time has a value to it.  So if  you have 20 people involved to make that $1500 that's $75 a head.  You're thinking .. .what's the problem?  That's cheap!  Well.. that's my point.  My time is worth more than that ...  waaaaaaaaaaay more than that. If I make say $100 an hour and I just gave up twelve hours of my day, plus the fuel and other costs .... anyone doing the math here?  Now .. there are other things that roll in to all this .. silent auctions, 50/50 raffles, you name it...  but ...  for those silent raffles, where did those items come from?  

Now ... I don't have the perfect fundraiser scenario, but I do have an educated opinion and I don't like what I see most of the time.  I'm looking at one in particular and started looking at time frames from start to finish, and realized some serious errors in thinking were in place.  Who comes up with these early start times?  Why do things end so late, hours after the last bike is in.... many many hours, after the first bike is in.  Guessing a large percentage of folks say F' it and leave.  But hey ... I wasn't on a committee... .wait.. was there a committee? Advertising as the dates loom closer is almost completely null and void.  Where do the fifty riders come from if they have no clue the ride exists? Additionally,  I don't have any experience putting one on .... but..  wait.. I've been on dozens of event rides.. does that count?   But, I do know when something feels off and .. I tend to talk about it .. or in this case .. blog about it.   

For now, I'll sit back and watch.  Take notes. Compare situations/scenarious.  Come up with a better model for future use (there is ALWAYS a better way).  Hell, last December I witnessed an awesome event that was a model to follow ... but .... it's not my gig.  Sadly, I'll have to pitch in vs enjoy the ride itself which .. is worth more of  my time.   I love to ride; I'd rather just ride.   Hell.. if nothing else .. I feel better now ... getting it out of my system

POKER RUN IDEAS   : https://davidhlawsonfoundation.org/charity/faq-how-to-organize-a-poker-run-for-charity.html







Comments