Time to Retire ............. (?)

 Got some close friends retiring next week ...    others my age have already pulled the plug  .. several many years ago. Most are my age, few are several years younger.  Saw where my buddy Ken said this to Nancy this morning.  Ken retired a year or two (one year older than I )  "Your gona love every day being a Saturday!!!!"  .    Hell, my dad retired by age 57 which has always had my attention.  And of course, this all got me to thinking.

I've got several retirement calculators out there I use, but Fidelity's is my fav to date.    I had age 65 as my target date for retirement, with a life span to 92 in there for me, 94 for the wife  and the numbers work. Well to punch 3 years early theoretically, I had to adjust my 

and my

But came out with numbers that work.  The crazy part to me was ... changing it from 65 to 62 only shorted me two years on the backend.  I can easily drop my spending $500 or $1000 a month and it makes up for that and all the numbers work out. But what it doesn't take into account is some months I won't spend the full discretionary amount. Nor does it take into account that number will decrease annually once I'm in  my 70s and 80s.  Now there are always other situations that come into play as well of course... but...   I like what I see.

Tells me next month I could easily pull the plug and enjoy the ride.  Hell, I could have done it years ago except I'm enjoying my current version of life too much.  But damned if it ain't nice knowing you can still do it if  you choose; less stress that way.   The one thing I never thought too much about in the early days was how long we'd be on this earth. I always assumed by 75, I'd be gone.  But my Dad turns 85 in a few months and is the epitome and health and wellness, so the odds are in my favor.  Appears my heart issue over the last two years is solved; Doc says my heart will 'outlive' me ... hmmm.   Never dawned on me I might make it into my 90s!  Well, the numbers work unless the government completely screws the pooch and continues down the path it's currently going.  But, one can only plan the best they can under current conditions.  There's always the options of becoming an expat and moving to a different country with a low cost of living.  That'd be my last alternative.  But ...... never take that one off the table?

On a positive note, this shitty economy hasn't ruined my plans ..    still doable.  Things are slowly coming back.  Some of my folks that I confer with have told me we've hit bottom and headed back up.  Hope so .. because this downward trend has been ugly.   Inflation is a mess and nibbling at all of us financially.   

Good Days ahead.  Hell,  most days feel like a Saturday to me, today?   Live Life, Love Life. Live everyday , like it could be your last.  My motto ..........  works for me!



At 62, lil short .. but fixable!


Comments

Unknown said…
Sounds like we're near the same age. I've been running the numbers also for retir
Unknown said…
Hope retirement works out. I just turned 62 myself and have been crunching the numbers. I could draw 2 pensions, social security and from a IRA but momma needs insurance.
I was diagnosed with A-Fub 3 years ago. Meds have worked to this point but may have to have the same procedure as yourself. We'll see. My Pops passed away when I was 16. I've surpassed his age long ago. Don't know how long I've got...? Momma and I have been burning up the miles on the Springfield like theirs no tomorrow in the meantime.
God Bless and visit IndianRider.net more often.
Mike ..(IROQUOIS)
RickkciR said…
Good to hear from you! I believe the meds are part of my issue... hoping to be off them after my next visit. Guessing my bodyweight ain't helping much (Weight > Blood Pressure > Meds). Never was on meds until the AFIB issue.

"Knowing" one can retire is half the battle? And you're right on the insurance part. I know many a person that continues until 65 for themselves .. our spouse hits 65.. just because of the medical insurance ;(

Burn up some miles! I'm headed to the forum to check in :)