Russellville '22 : Steve Smith Memorial Ride weekend

 Off and On. I wasn't going to go then was.. then wasn't then ....   it got damned hot out there and decided if it was over 100 deg this past weekend, I was out.  Then the person I was going to ride up with backed out so riding up was no longer a priority, just getting there. But if it'd been another triple digit weekend, I was out.  Forecast changed, temps were to be in the 80s due to some rain so .. I'm in. Opted to trailer to Hot Springs and meet up with Double D' a day early, then we'd ride from Hot Springs, about 80 miles to Russellville. 

Longrider: photo courtesy of Jill Donihue


Wednesday I roll Krush into the trailer and headed east after a full day of work. Thank god I'd trailer because it was 103 deg out and traffic was brutal with multiple complete stops on I-30 along the way.  A/C running full force, no complaints.  Finally after an extra hour on the road, I'm at Diamondhead, and Brother Donnie is handing me a cold one.  Let the weekend begin.  We'd head out for a steak dinner, stop by to listen to Rockey Don Jones for a few hours, head back to Diamondhead to put a hurt on a bottle of Gentlemen Jack. Before you know it, its after 0230 ... ruh roh.

Thursday, we're up, roll out Krush and we're headed North .. after a killer breakfast at Phils Diner... damned I'm starting to like that place.  One of the best things about Hot Springs is it's location for some great riding. We take Hwy 7 out of Hot Springs and we're soon on curvy 2 lane roads through the State Park; beautiful area.  Less than two hours later of beautiful weather and riding, we're rolling up to the Marriott Courtyard where quite a few folks are already in place.  This is the third year in a row we've done this to all come together to honor Steve Smith who passed away suddenly; close friend and fellow Indian Motorcycle fanatic!   As we're about to head to dinner, Jesse and Daniela roll in from Fayetteville and we're all caging to dinner for some MORE music with Rockey Don Jones.  This guy rocks and never get enough of it.  Then ... back to the hotel for some good times....

Friday ... we get our reality check for the weekend.  We've got two group rides ... we've decided to divert to Mount Magazine to stay dry and Jay's group is headed to Mena since they've already done this one.  Not thirty miles out... the rain starts up ..and it's getting worse.  So we do a U-Turn and headed back into a monsoon that ...  sucks. Can barely see but finally slows down a notch and we make it back. Jay's group will do the same and we're all outside, bikes parked under cover as best as possible when a half dozen HDs roll in, soaking wet, looking for a room/cover, while enroute to Sturgis.  They're looking around and the first thing the ask " Woooah ... is this an Indian Motorcycle convention?" .. hahaahah..   they're surrounded.   We're all throwing in the towel for the day .. it's a wet one.  Last year, we'd all done Hibachi one night so we all decide to return. Rain has stopped, so many of us mount up.  This year's will go smooth with no hiccups (last year was a nightmare when it came time for the checks).  Funny part is for my group (8 of us), our cook is the SAME guy as last year.... deja vu!  Afterwards, we ride  the bikes back to the hotel , staying dry .. and ... do it all over again, out back in the courtyard.  Inside there must be a hundred guys with a golf convention of sorts; made for a some good times as they rolled in and out next to our group. We out lasted them all.... moved it inside... and .. yeah .. anotother late one.  

Saturday ... ^$$#%T^$@T$@TO)(*) .. damned it .. more rain!  This day is shot. Cage it over for an awesome breakfast in town .. back to the hotel ...now what do we do?  Adam purchases a pack of cards and .... poker time.  Low cost game with dollar bills in play .. but   few hours, great time. I rarely play poker but when I do.. wonder why I don't more often.  Love it ... especially when the money in play is on the low end; keeps folks from getting  pissed off and crazy. When the smoke clears, I'm up a whopping $25 ahead and one of two winners in the mess.  Donnie has us headed back to dinner the same place as the first night for music at 1900 hrs , so we're headed for an early dinner to grab good seats.  After awhile we're asking when they band is going on, but .. then realize Donnie had bad intel and .. we're early .. way early.  I'm stuffed...  as are others... so .. we throw in the towel and back for another redo at the hotel.

Got to tell you ...  I wanted to RIDE .. Get LOTS of riding in... but .. the upside of the weekend was the time we truly spent together. I don't see most of these folks but once a year.  I've known most of them since '14 or '15 time frame.  Some of them longer ...   But it's always a great time and never.. enough time. So due to that shitty weather, got to spend MORE quality time with most folks.. and .. I'll take it.

Sunday ....  I'm refreshed finally got a great nights sleep and we're rolling home. Stump is rolling down I-40, we're rolling down Hwy 7. He'll stay dry the entire way home, we'll hit shitty weather for about 50 of the 80 miles finally drying off the last 30.  Hasbin is headed to Mellissa Texas and I'm sure he must have got nailed before the Texas state line where temps would jump back into triple digits.  Me .. I'm soon rolling Krush back into the trailer and headed home where mama is in the pool waiting for me with a cold refreshment.   I end up wasting an hour waiting for my vehicle to start though while it's plugged into a charger.  Battery was drained almost 100% ..... not sure why. I'd left the trailer plugged in electrically so something in that is draining in ... haven't figured it out yet

Another Steve Smith Memorial Ride weekend in the books. I miss that guy ... Longrider was the real deal. One of a kind.  Left us too early in Life.  Reinforces one of my core beliefs ; live every day as if it's your last ......



Wed nite

Thursday Afternoon ....

Few bikes rolling in

Friday: Rain Fail - we quit



Indians and HDs - Friday night

Poker .. ante up!


Comments