Confession of a Hasbeen ........



Lethargic.   The final symptom that pushed me over the edge.  Apparently, Years of Snoring wasn’t enough.  Buying bigger waisted pants wasn’t enough.  Realizing my shirts fit differently … not enough.   Though, being in Mexico over NYE may have had something to do with it. 
Found myself thinking….  “This is a bitch dragging my ass up this ladder” while exiting the pool.   Noticed Guys that were in fairly good shape... others, overweight messes.   I’ve always related to the first group; but....which group was I in now?
Somewhere around 2006, I hit 300lbs.   But, I was still hitting the gym off and on.   Enjoying ‘life’ (i.e. partying, traveling, and working my ass off).  Comfortable fitting Polo shirt, and all was good.   I ‘ve bounced back and forth between 273 and 305 since then , depending on working out, eating right, watching my weight, etc., etc.   But, I haven’t been focused over that time.  Not really.    Keep telling myself I’m 50+ years old, just enjoy life!  It’s all good! Doesn’t matter if you’re ‘lean and mean’... those days are in the past!
Are they?
Returning from Mexico, that scale tipped 312 lbs.   I’m not working out.  I’m wearing the largest size pant (waist size) I ever have.   When does it end?  I’ve got buddies that are pushing more weight than I am; I see their situation.   Not good.  But somehow, doesn’t apply to me.  But, it does.
Its’ time.  Time to get back to basics.  With decades of knowledge gained on working out…. Nutrition… it’s time to put it to use instead of making excuse after excuse.  Yes, I’ve got a ½ dozen recurring injuries that continue to pop up.  Time to quit using them as excuses and move forward.

Where is this journey going to take me?  What are the goals?
1.        Get my waist size down so, as a MINIUMUM, I’m back in to 38s … comfortably.
2.       Though weight is only an indicator and not my goal, that means I’ll have to get below 270lbs
3.       Introduce some real aerobic activities into my regimen.   I need to finally start running.  As much as I hate it….  I’ve got to do it
4.       Alcohol.  This has got to take a back seat.  I’ve always enjoyed a cold beer(s)....glass (es) of wine… and now Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey.  But, this ha got to be minimalized.

As I type this .. FOUR days back in the gym.  Eating Right.   No Alcohol.  Amazingly, I already feel better.  Feisty.  Motivated.    

Please let this be the new me…………..

Comments