Hasbeen Week 1

Working out by yourself, gives you time to think.   Remember 'back in the day'.  Analyze 'why?' .  Plan  and more planning.  Maybe I need another notepad in the gym... for ... random thoughts .. million dollar ideas....

The workout...

Finally broke through my aerobic mental barrier this morning.   All week, I've been getting on the Elliptical , then off, before the time limit , and the lowest wimp setting.   Humiliating.    Breaking a sweat, huffing and puffing .. on ... Level ONE.   But, historically this is the way it goes for me.   My entire life ( teen and adult ) I've never been able to run like most.  Legs give out.. get winded.  Only three times in my life has that not been an issue.

First was back around 21 years old.   During my first enlistment in the USAF, in the Security Police, was on a Missile Combat Competition Team.  For months , we ran around like SEAL wannabes', doing crazy stuff, at the firing range weekly, running daily, building a great team.  But for the life of me, I couldn't keep up with everyone.  I was the "Big Man' .. Biggest on the team and carried the M60, while the light weights carried their M16s.  I had to diet down and get really lean ( ie 200lbs ) to keep up with everyone else.  Then it happened.  Overnight, I found my mojo.   I could run like a gazelle ( in my own mind ).  I was able to run miles and miles, unwinded .. Without the legs hurting.   I was in the zone... and .. I hated being 'skinny.'.   After our competition was over, quit running and put on some real muscle.   I hate running

Second was when I was 23.  Retraining down in MS.  One year.  In the gym 6-7 days a week. Got in my first two bodybuilding competitions.  Riding a bike 6+miles a day to/from school and the gym.  Running here and there.  Ripped, and motivated.   Felt like I could take on the world.  They called me .. Mr. Biloxi :)   LOL.   Then, decided time to get bigger....

Third was post Desert Storm.   My shoulder injury has been haunting me.  Having trouble pushing the weights, so after long hours inflight on Combat Missions and working aircraft recoveries on non-flying days..... I decide to start running at night.  I'm out there barely able to run.   Sweating like a pig.   Legs killing me.  But after a month... the weight starts coming off.. I'm leaning out...   and .. it happens again, just like back when I was 21.  I find my zone. Can seemingly run forever.  Feel like a million dollars...  I'm able to run.. and run.. and stop only when I get 'bored.' .  Incredible!  Then, deploy back home.   Back to the good life.  The BBQs .. The Party's.   Healed up, I'm back to pushing big weights.   Getting bigger, getting stronger.  I hate being Skinny .  I hate running.

On that Elliptical this morning, working through the puss' level, I find myself remembering the Gazelle days.  Wondering if being "skinny" isn't better than being .. well.. .. hmmm..  .. "big" .. ....

 Still , I hate skinny.  Just Saying

Comments