Cozumel Dive Trip

Few years back, one of my Nephews,  myself, wife and daughter took a trip to Cozumel to celebrate my Birthday.   From that day on, Paul has been hooked on the Island.  Hooked on that resort.  And, discovered Scuba Diving.   Earlier this year he told me he wanted to head back for some more plunges into the ocean and invited us along.   What started as a small family trip blossomed into a full blown 8 Day vaca for Family, extended family and good friends.   Nine days ago, 17 of us hit the beach looking for a good time; we found it.




The majority of us rolled into DFW via various means and start points, for the final 2.5 hr AA flight into Cozumel.  Lucy and I, Jimbo and the Fosters car pooled it from East Texas.  Paul and his clan flew in from Mississippi ( via New Orleans).  Others hit Houston, then down via United.  Within a two hour window were were all on the ground that afternoon and just a quick bus ride away from Secrets Aura, all adult / all inclusive Resort.  In no time at all, we were in the rooms, changed and hitting the sand.  They had some type of evening event on the beach with appetizers on the beach that night, making it a perfect start.  Then we found some real food at one of the many restaurants and headed upwards to the Sky Bar which has the incredible views of the nightly sunsets.  I rarely make it to the Disco, and tonight was to be one of those rare moments. Pulling the plug early, a lil after midnight I'd find myself on the back patio of our poolside room. With a big cushioned bed out there... found my ass glued to it ... waking up a few hours later.  Whoops!  Gotta' love the warm Mexican evenings? Helluva a start!




Thursday is here, our 'real' first day.  No hangover.  Good sleep 'overall' .  No work crisis on the laptop.  It's game on.  Where's the pool!?  Soon we're all there .... ..   and it's time!  This is to be the one day of craziness among the rest.   For myself and quite a few hours, Don Julio Tequila is the root cause of it all ( gotta' blame 'somebody') !  It wasn't but a lil over a month prior I was down for days with my back out.  On this day, I'd find myself with my daughter... my wife (we won the chicken fight btw!) .. my nephew ( 257 lbs of him )  ... ..then BOTH my nephew and his son ( 400lbs?) .. on  my shoulders.   I had more than a few folks scared.  Me.... I was a dumb ass.   Turns out, a lucky one.  My back would be sore... but ...  somehow.. survived the stupidity.  Still, was a crazy good time.  This was our first day in the pool and we tore it up. Took it over.  Made a lot of new friends.   Had a blast.  Eventually we worked out way back to the room, grabbed a beer and plopped on that big ass lounger out back.  Comfortable!   Put the phone down.. the glasses down and.........   I hear the glass sliding door bang and Lucy in the room leaving... WTF?  Did we just have a fight?  24 hours in and I just pissed her off?  I yank my ass up... do some quick texting and find where the group is headed for dinner.  Quick cleanup and I'm there.  Turns out .. no disagreement.  I just somehow missed the THREE .. 'get up!' requests for dinner.  Whoops!  Hey .. no harm no foul!  Hour combat nap and I'm back in the game!  And a helluva game it is.  Soon, we're roaming the beach in search of the Swing Bar.  Many of us are in full game on attitude.  Jimmy has somehow disappeared ( the smart one). Many of those diving in the morning are breaking off. Me?  I make it past mid-nite.  Then it's room service time.  Then some more fun .. then.....  well.. it's morning and the phone rings.  It's 0800 hrs and I'm supposed to be on the pier with 6 others to go diving.  Not today!  I throw in the towel. No way in hell.  So, I earn the  "I'm a pussy award" first.   They are off to dive without me.  To say I was pissed at myself was an understatement.  But.. however.. damned we had some fun the day before!

The Dive boat is out for the morning.   I'm actually feeling 'good', no hangover.  But may have slept in ... just a lil? All good... java ...  breakfast ... and find folks on the beach hanging out, waiting for the dive crew to make it back (bastards!).  Jimmy and I stroll over the pool bar where we made our mark the previous day and get some of the first beers out of the tap.  I realized a few trips ago, they also serve Dos Equis Ambar ( my fav!) .. so ...  this is my go to all week.  Steve has turned me on to Chelada style cerveza; my true fav this trip has become Ambar Cheladas!   Oooooh, so good!  Grab a few and off to the beach.  This resort has it going for service.  No matter where you are, they find you.  My trick the last two trips is to be loaded down with Two Dollar bills for 'em. They don't forget you, trust me!   Maid, bartenders, servers, bell boys .. they all get them! Evey time they come by, they seem to have another cold one in hand; score! Soon, we've got the divers in and they are babbling about this and that?  Really?  Hahaha.. just kidding .. I'm STILL pissed  I missed the first day of diving!   Anyways, we make our way back to the pool, for some more fun in the sun except ....  I keep it in check. ..  .. by dusk we're cleaning up for Dinner on the beach for a buffet then several of us sneak off to see the bar manager who promised us some high end Don Julio (1942). Two shots and...... I'm off to my room.   Tomorrow, it's someone else's turn to win the "Pussy of the Day award".  Two of them will it turns out. Me ... I'm off to a good nights sleep!

It's Saturday morning. Feeling fresh!  Grab a cup of Java at the 24hour Coffee Shop fresh made, bottle of water, grab my mask and camera and off to the dock! I'm feeling good and thankful I pulled the plug early.   Yesterday six folks made it out diving. Today would be the one with the least; five of us. Hell .. at least I wasn't one of 'em falling by the wayside and we only had 4?   Soon we're off on the boat with "Dive with Julio", on a beautiful morning.   I've got a 1 mil top to wear, but it'll prove unnecessary.  Still I finally get the tight thing on, but I've put on a couple pounds since the last time I wore it and even at XXL .. it's a bitch.  Soon, we're in position, the crew gets us all mounted up and we're off!  On this trip, one of my good friends Michael Hansen and his brother Leonard are with us.  They recently got certified , but have something like 20 lake dives under their belts... wtf?  They are motivated!  Anyways, my dive buddy Steve and I are soon in the water and the Hansen brothers drop in with us.  Water is a perfect temp ( feels like 85 deg?), and we're dropping to the sea floor.   Cozumel has some of the best diving in the world and this trip will not disappoint.   One of the cool things about Cozumel is the current. If you adjust your buoyancy, and position yourself right .. you can literally float for the next 45 minutes or so and have to expend minimal energy.  It's nothing short of awesome.  We're finding turtles.. sharks....  manta rays ... and lots of fish! I'm usually one of the first to pop to the top due to lack of air, but not today.   Still, 45 minutes later I'm on the surface and hauling my ass into the boat.  Once we're all in, we've taking an hour break or so before headng back down with a new tank.  Tray of fresh fruit the crew just cut up is passed around along with bottles water and Gatorade.  And, it's beautiful out!  Before you know it, we're back down, more cool views, different reef , getting back into my groove diving again.. and too quickly ... we're back on the surface!  I love this!  Hell, I can't believe I don't dive more.. but .. that's another story.    Soon we're back on dry land, at 'the pool' and my daughter is giving me puppy dog eyes asking if we are going to do an island trip like we usually do.  Hour or so, I've got a taxi lined up and a dozen of us are piled in and headed South!  Price wasn't what I'd hope to negotiate but in the big picture we settled on a per person price less than they originally wanted, we don't have rent vehicles, no DUIs ... so ..wtf ..we're in.   Reggae Bar.. Coconuts ... downtown.... I never have enough time . I could spend 1/2 day at the Reggae bar every time.. but ....  we have some drinks ... appetizer .. and always press on.  We've got 4 hours.. and we need 8.  By the time we get to coconuts we're relaxing and enjoying it.  Coconuts is PACKED with Cruise Ship touristas today, but we find a big table and soon have drinks and munchies at the table. Today I opted for seafood cerviche; oh yes!  I love this place; highest point on the island, drinks are food are ALWAYS good... and .. what a view!  Still, I'm looking at the time... mama want's to hit "Pancho's Backyard" Others want to explore downtown San Miguel.  And the driver is on 'timer'.  So, we're headed down and towards civilization.  This part of the island is off the grid, which has a cool factor.  Everything is fresh daily. But, closes down  as night approaches.  Soon we're dropped off, we all agree on meet point and in we go... Ponchos!   Last time were there , they has downsized the margaritas; I was like WTF?   Turns out some wuss tourist posted on social media or yelp they got drunk there and blamed the restaurant?  HUH?  Well.. they grew a pair of balls and up-sized them again.  Yum!  Parts of our group are strolling in 1 or 2 at a time.. soon .. we've almost got a buss full so we're off to find 2 of our missing party, which we do.  SMH.  With a full bus, we are headed south to Secrets Aura!  Long Day .. I'm beat .. diving in the morning...   so ... I'm calm.  Beach . few drinks.. room ....views... g' nite!

Damned.. Sunday is already here.   Up early, feel good, check email, grab some java, awesome breakfast from the Market Cafe .. and ... it's time!  We pile into the boat and we're off!  Today we've got a lil twist coming.   After our first dive we head to shore to take a break while eating our snacks , upping our hydration and taking a rest before heading down for our second dive. While in shallow waters, Ishi ( Boat Captain ) is filling the Yamaha 150 with some oil (gear lube) and when finished the motor won't go back down.  Turns out the same thing happened to my nephew recently at home.  Apparently, you grab a long flat headed screw driver, insert into an area near the base of the motor and release; except we don't have that tool.  Ishi is working on it try to use a knife.  Trying other things.  And it ain't looking good.  We are out of cell coverage, and  Ishi is giving it hell.  The Hansen brothers point out the catamaran off to our north about 400 yards... and ... they head out.  They are in chest deep water trudging out there.  We're all making jokes.  Kicking back.  Soon Julio sets off in a similar direction but heads further towards another small boat.  Before he can make it there, we notice the Hansen boys are headed back finally.   Have to admit, I was wondering deep down how this was all going to play out. I'm assuming we'll miss our second dive and make it back to the resort in a few hours one way or another ( hell .. one could always walk up the beach!?).  But, the Hansen's have a small screwdriver; I'm thinking "no way!".  Ishi gets it in there.... but..  too small to have any torque.  Pops a crescent wrench on it ( only tool on the boat!) .. and .... bam .. it's free!  Soon the motor is down, we are started and head to return the tool and pick up our dive master.  Score!  We've wasted an hour, but soon we are back in the water.. then .. back to the resort.  What a friggin' day; was awesome!  Soon back at the resort, switch pools to the 'lazy river pool' that flows by my room and its a 'new day!".   We find ourselves in a Volleyball game with our whole crew taking on the rest of the folks and .... we are 4-0 .. champions!  First hit I got was a spike square into my opponents face; can't believe he survived that with intact glasses.  Second hit, into opponents chest.  I vowed to calm it down; was tough!   But...  what a good time. Server kept us stocked with refreshments, music blaring, staff cheering us all on.  I love this place .. haha..  Eventually we all clean up and make our way to the Sky bar for the beautiful sunset views.  Then the Oceana for dinner .. getting 14 in there was a bitch .. had to split to 2 and 12.  The '2' were the Fosters; yep.. they got their food first.  Man it was a long day.  Not much later I'm down for the count; we dive in the morning.

Monday .. MONDAY? Where is the time going?  Well, we've got a full boat.  All seven us are stoked.  Every day, someone bailed and got the pussy award , but today we're in full force.   We've busting chops on the previous day's motor issue.   The crew takes it in stride and gives it back; Diving with Julio.. they rock! Two more dives, few hours of heaven and we find ourselves back at the dock.  But it's not our last dive, we've got a night dive coming up in 5 or 6 hours!  So , back to the 'river' pool and pace ourselves.  I think I had 3 or 4 beers.. and only beers.   A part of me doesn't want to do the dive.  I don't 'get it' . Sounds boring.  What's the point of stumbling around in dark, barely able see what your doing, with a a lil flash light as your guide.  I consider bailing so I can kick it up .. but .. hang in there.  Others have a similar idea.  We all hang in. Soon it's 530pm and we're slowly working our way to the dock.  But it's closed.  A fancy dinner has been arranged and we're thinking 'what do we do?'  Well.. f' em .. we 'cross the line' ...  the help is giving us the 'look' but we tell them we've got to dive!  Turns out we are gone before the customers show up anyways.   Soon, we' are headed north near where the cruise ships dock.  There for 7 of us , and 2 dive masters (Julio and Ishi both tonight).  Six of the 7 of us have never been on a night diver.   Steve is on his third or so.   The water is calm as we head out. The sunset is gorgeous.   And .. deep down I'm a notch nervous for the first time.   This is the first dive Julio has to give us an intense pre dive brief.  Bottom line is .. don't f' up.  Stay with the group. Don't wander.  Simple as that . Oh.. and don't blind your fellow divers with your light!  I'm wondering if I should have brought something warmer to wear.  For the water.  For the trip back.. something, but I didn't.  Turns out, I didn't need to.  Soon as the sun sets .. we are dropping back off the boat into the water.  Flashlights on ...     quick check .. and we're dropping down.  And then I realize something.... I love this shit.  It's awesome.  What I though would suck is anything from it.   With a team of 9, everyone with a flashlight continuously one...  you can see better than I thought you could.  I can see everyone for distance of 12' or so. And the highlight; we are seeing nocturnal sea life!  Soon, we're settling in, moving with the current .. .seeing octopus... crabs ...   lobsters... eels ...snakes.. .. you name it.   In the eerie disturbance you can see other dive teams making their way.  The only challenge we have it not to screw up and end up with another dive group inadvertently!   I'm settled in, wishing I'd brought my camera.  Feels like a sci fi flick with the weird light show.  I'm digging this and as soon as we start, we are soon at that surface.  Quickest 45 min of my life...   Now we're on the surface and a notch of confusion with several boats as to whom owns you .. but five or so minutes later... I've found mine.. .and our whole group has surfaced.. but the current is strong. We're trying to avoid the cruised ship piers but eventually half of us thrown in the towel and shoot through them and on the boat has to run around a big circle and get us on the other side.   Ten minutes later we're all in the boat laughing about it all and come to a single consensus.  That was the best dive of the whole trip!   I'm hooked!   Soon we're back at our dock, I settle up with Julio , and then .. find mama, clean up .. and we're headed up to the Sky Bar for sushi!   I'm beat.  Most of us are beat ... Most are dropping off like flies.  But, my baby girl as asked me to make it to Desires, the disco on site.   If she hadn't given me the 'look' my ass would be in bed but .. not an option tonight.  We drag ourselves over there.... 1/2 dozen of us.   We're in slow mo ( those that dove). We're in an area I'm calling the "VIP" section.  I'm not feeling in.  So I shut off the TV.  We lose one of the Paul's... he's nodding off.   So we can some shots.. and more drinks .and..... the party is kicking in.   I'm testing the weight of a cube for our group as they are begging me to get down.  I find you can dance on this thing!   Then we move the party closer to the dance floor. DJ is running late ; music is blaring off a set play list.   Leonard soon finds a smoke machine and starts screwing with it... then .. like every great party ...   the party migrates to the dance floor.  By the time the night is over, I've had one of the best of my life with my daughter.  Girls has more rhythm than should be allowed and my fat ass is sucked into ti all dancing with her.. .. then my wife.. my daughter.. .. then my wife.. for hours.  Music I would NEVER listen to at home normally, has us having a great time on the floor in the mix of others.  Still.. eventually .. i throw in the towel... good news is....no more diving.  I get to sleep in!

We've got a set routine... Sleep, slowly wake up .. but today it's room service...  then .. beach .. the pool... find the drinks... it's Tuesday .. our last full day / evening.  And it's game on. However, I don't want a hangover on Wednesday so I'm holding back a notch.  After 7 days.. we've got a routine.  Everyday it's wings .. cerviche .. calamari .. burgers...by the pool.   We know the bartenders and servers by name.  We know a dozen folks around us now; our 'new friends' .   Usually by this long into a vaca' I'm ready to bolt home.. but .. not this time.  I could stay several more days.  Eventually, we here Volleyball is on again at the lazy river pool so after a few hours, we switch pools .. nets up . .and it's game on.  Today's opponents argue for the old rules of Volleyball vs. the way we played last time. First game was played using 'rally scoring' .. today .. we opted for "side out scoring' ..    I played in HS on a team.   USAF Intramural.. and some serious two man in the sand...  we always used side out anyways.   Still, it caused confusion for some which .. added to the 'fun?'   When the sand settled .. we were once again .... UNDEFEATED!   Gotta' love it.  Nice way to close out the trip.  Soon, we're cleaned up .. back on the beach for a final dinner.. then the swing bar...  .. then.. I'm throwing in the towel.  After a week .. I loving this .. but...  I'm not into wild nights, every night.  Much of the group is headed to the Disco; turns out not all will make it .. some die on the spot ( Zzz )...   and for my daughter... she finally pulls the plug around 0300.  Damned!   ....  glad I missed that one!

Final day. Morning routine for all .. and .. we settle on the good old Preferred Club Pool, our mainstay.  No one is ready to leave.   Many are joking about how to extend.. but .... after a few hours and a late checkout for most ....  it's time.   soon... we're in the lobby bar.. few last drinks.. then ... we're whisked off the to airport.   Reality is starting to settle in.  Mama and I get upgraded to the First Class....   but the plane is 1/2 empty.... so wouldn't have been too bad back in coach.   As we land the realization that the temps are nearing freezing for the night and I'm in shorts and tee shirt....  has me thinking.. I screwed up.  After punching through customs, I prepare to make a jog for the vehicle... but.. it's 44 out. All this parking garage concrete has held the heat.   Few minutes later , the car is started and heat is on. Double back for my crew and we're headed headed east.   Before home we pull into an In n Out Burger; American Food!  I enjoyed the food on the trip.. but....   nothing like our ol' mainstays.

Soon .. mama and I are home with Peanut... cleaned up .. in bed.. trying to watch TV .. but.. I'm 100% exhausted as is she...   I was out...   an 8 hour 'coma' ensued...

Now .. I sit here typing this....  missing the blue waters... the "hola' from everyone ...   the carefree days...   the dives.    so the question is....     'when's the next trip??"  We compiled a common folder of pics and videos between us all that is around the 1,000 mark (!!).   Overwhelming amount of memories in there share among us all....   Should hold us off for a few days .....





























Comments