Dual decade increments

Writing this blog post reminds me of a. Tim McGraw song....  still a fav of mine


"My Next Thirty Years"

I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years
In my next thirty years 

____________________________________________________________________________



My first 20 years were awesome as a kid/teenager.  My dad''s occupation allowed us to travel. Lived in Cali', Guam, Hawaii, MN ... even traveled to Japan.    Nothing but good memories for the most part. Loved the Tropics. Loved the Desert. Froze my ass of up North until I came around to dressing for sub zero temps correctly.  I have nothing but good memories of MN.  But as we say, time flies.   Seems like a lifetime ago sometimes.  As I entered the second 20 year stage I was now in the military.  My military years would be the next 20.


My military years rocked.   The USAF was my primary choice.  I opted not to go into the other services based on the schools and base locations available; simple as that. We in the military raz' each other about choice of branch served in.  Hey, I had a choice!  I was thinking early on, "what about life AFTER the military?"  Initially I was thinking short term not realizing I'd do a full stint.   Still, I made choices on service and job specialties and schools that would benefit me long term in life.   I "signed a check" that I was willing to give the ultimate sacrifice, but in the meantime, I made job and school choices that ... were to my advantage.   Everyone should.  Most don't.  So when it came time for the third phase of life, I was set with my training... my degree ....  my experiences. At the age of 39 I made the choice to retire then, vs wait until 49.  I felt job opportunities were greater at a 'younger' age; I believe I made the right choice. I took a risk and went a different direction that myself and many others assumed I would. Instead of continuing on as a contractor working for a System Integrator on military projects .. I chose the 'vendor path'. As the second set of decades hit the rear view mirror, I was still working out .. in the gym...  in good shape/health.

The third 20.  At 39 I was out of the military and working for a small company out of Carlsbad, California. My manager was a narcissistic guy that caused me a lot of pain.  In retrospect, it was his inability to communicate.  And, with 20 years of military behind me .. maybe.... just maybe.. I wasn't' the most open minded and stubborn?  Due to the position I was hired into, I found myself 'confused', straddling the fence of being a sales engineer and a sales guy. Eventually believing 'sales' wasn't for me,  I'd leave that company within 2 years, doing a short stint in the system integrator world (days.. not months or years) ... and finally wrapped my head around the fact that I was destined to be in world of "sales."   Once I made the mental decision, I jumped on board with another company out of Sunnyvale, California and the next phase of my life was officially a 'go.'   I've spent the last 19 years going 100mph in so many  ways.  Travel for work.  Travel for fun.  Crazy long hours.  Sometimes short weeks.   The company I work for today (based out of Maryland) .. for over a decade .. is a dream come true for me.   A true hands off environment where expectations are high, but job stress overall is low compared to similar companies in this space. However, this lifestyle has afforded me opportunities that to some point, are my downfall.   In my military days, I worked out often.  I ate correctly.  I sometimes splurged.  I was on a tight financial budget.  The last two decades have taken me into a world where I appreciate good cooking/meals/food.  I appreciate good wines and liquors and beers.  I've traveled to locations where food and drinks are available in ridiculous quantities  (all inclusive resorts).  I do a lot of riding on my motorycle around the country.  Instead of spending my time pushing Iron in the gym... I've found that I prefer to ride Iron for thousand of miles a year.  My focus has changed. One could argue in a good way.  Problem is... as we age, things change.  Our bodies may take a hit.   Arthritis.  Old recurring injuries.  Our waistlines.   Our metabolism.  Our Energy. In my case, all the above.

I'm not done with the 'third 20' yet.. but....   the next phase is on the horizon. One thing I know .... I don't want to enter that phase in worse shape that I am today. I want to enjoy it for all it's worth.  My dad has raised the bar for me.  At 81 he's in great shape.  Works out daily; living his version of the dream. I find myself realizing I've most likely got another two solid decades ahead of me and I want to be ready; financially and physically.  That means I've got to make some lifestyle changes ASAP.  And I am.  At the same time I'm not willing to give up the things that make me happy. So I've got to be smarter on how I play .  Smarter in how I work. Smarter in nutritional practices.  And...get my act together in the gym; 'again'. The "60 mark" is coming at me quickly...   the next dual decades....is right around the corner!   It's game on and it's begun.

Comments