Mexico on a Budget....


 2004 Cruise

 I've been going to Mexico as a vacationing tourista' for about 14 years now.   It began with a cruise ship that dropped us off for a day in Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel over a period of two days.   I experienced the beaches, the view and the attitude and I was hooked.  The following year, I won a contest at work and got a trip for 3 to an All Inclusive (AI) in Playa Del Carmen (Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal) and after that , I was completely hooked.   Since then we've gone at least once a year to the area.  One year we went FIVE times.  As I was looking up cheap flights via Fun Country ( I don't think it exists anymore), my wife was begging me "no more this year!"  Okay.  Maybe I'd gotten carried away.  But I was looking at $99 round trip flights; can you blame me?


 
Our First AI trip to the Quetzal/Tucan

About six years ago I found myself down there under different pretenses.  I'd become acquainted with an individual that would go down for about a month a year and rent a place, then basically sub it all out for a cost.   Supposedly, it was all split fairly among everyone attending, but I didn't believe that true then nor now.  Foolishly, I did it all over again 4 years later.  Now, that all being said, at some level I had a good time.  I ventured out n' about to places I hadn't before.  Unlike others, I wasn't 'afraid' to, I just .... hadn't done it.   Looking back at the first trip, my biggest frustration was we were staying in a cheap two bedroom apartment/condo with no additional facilities (large deck, pool, grounds, etc).  Yet, for a few hundred more dollars, we could have been staying in a NICE condo.  I'd verified that fact during and after we'd left.  My belief is the apartment/condo we were in was acquired on the cheap and I ended up paying top rate.  Our cost for the 2 bedroom was $800.  But for $1100 to $1200, we'd have been living like kings.   Is what it is.  Second trip was a house with 3 bedrooms avail, which was split among 3 couples basically. Cost per couple was basically $1500.00.  The cost for the house was 'advertised' as $4500 per week.  I say advertised, because I don't believe that was the actual weekly cost over the period of a month.  I'm pretty sure it was negotiated down, but the 2nd and 3rd couples still paid ... $1500 per room.  Location was pretty good.  You could see the ocean and the beach was across a minimally used road (more of a path).  Still, seemed pricey but.. I paid it.  Problem was , when I did the math, in retrospect I could have stayed at an AI for that cost or less.   I could have still traveled around the region, had more amenities, lower total cost of food and drink .. and been way ahead.  So were those trips worth it?  Hmmmm.. yes and no.  On each trip there were things that .. bugged me.  I was held captive to a set of costs I wasn't truly privileged to see (actual costs).  I had to be around person(s) that I normally wouldn't have.  Yet...  as always, I still had a good time.  But I always do no matter where I go.  Now, why regurgitate all this?   Because I've been wanting for some time now to do a run down in the area, stay in a home/condo rental, and change it up for some time now.   And now, we're headed down that path.

Its' about the view!


Earlier this week I locked in a place with multiple rooms and capacity for a dozen or more folks.  Nice location, near the water, near transportation and with beach/pool amenities.  Now here is the kicker. As I assumed, you can find a great deal, and I did.  A few of us are headed South in the near future enjoy the area off the resorts.  With the local populace.   No AI stuff.   Just us.  We'll make a quick run on day one to the grocery store and stock up.  Visit a restaurant once a day.  Do some Scuba diving.  So some adult beverages at our own pace.  And best of all, at a killer price.   Not 4500 for a 3 bedroom, but 1/2 that  for twice the rooms. And for every additional person that rolls in with us, we openly divide out the cost .  My cost as I type this is ... for the room, worst case, a thousand bucks for two of us.  But, I'm guessing it'll be closer to $750 or less with the folks that should be coming.  I'm using "points" for airfare so nothing out of my pocket there.  Sure, we'll spend some bucks at restaurants and bars, but guessing my caloric intake will not be up there like it is at an AI where you can eat and drink all day.

I'm guessing this is going to be a home run for all that attend.   I'm still surprised at the low cost you can find a place for, fairly easily..  And for those of us that have visited in the region, one knows there are no concerns about security, etc.   Hell, it's safer than a lot of places I've been to in the US.  So I'm testing the waters on this one.   Still, I'm guessing when the smoke clears it's still cheaper to go a low/mid cost AI when you add up room, food, drinks.   But the experience of this one, is what I'm looking forward to.  Because most of our days we'll have on SCUBA gear.  Afterwards, we'll be chilling as we anticipate the next days diving.   Sipping a few cold ones, doing some grilling and checking out the local area.

Upon return, a Thumbs Up or Down on the concept with follow on blog post.





Cozumel's South Coast

Comments