Lone Star Rally - Mulicultural



Nine Years I've been attending this Rally ... wow .. time flies!  My first was soon after Hurricane Ike.  Due to all the damage, unbeknown to me it was actually a 'small rally' in comparison to the norm. I just knew I enjoyed the weather, had a blast with friends, and was mesmerized with the Strand loaded up with folks.  Hell, I'm not sure I'd ever been downtown before that...   it soon became one of my favorite places on the Island, and one of my fav' Rally's throughout the year to attend.

Texas is a mish mash of various ethnic groups and they all come together for this one.  I remember 7 or 8 years ago at  ROT I started to notice more Hispanic MC groups rolling in.  More Blacks.   It'd always seemed to be mostly Whites so I noticed the change up.  Nothing wrong with it either way... just .. something I noticed and was aware of. Never saw any issues and I always had a good time.



I've noticed the same thing at LSR here in Galveston.  Every year, it becomes more 'mixed'.  More MC groups.  More ethnicity. I'm not even sure who is the majority or the minority at this one, but it works.  I've never seen a fight or seen any yelling , etc.  I'm sure it must exist .. somewhere.. but.. I've never seen it.  It just works.   Along with a mix of 'cultures' ... I've noticed an interesting mix of .. vehicles.


Harley's ..... Indians ... Vics ..  Metrics ... Dirt Bikes ... Dual Purpose ..  Choppers ... Crotch Rockets .. V8 Boss Hosses  ...  Spyders ..  T-Rexs .. Slingshots .. Vanderhalls ...  you name it .. they were there.   When we think Bike Rally, most people envision Harley's with White Boys .... not here.   White, Black and Brown on American Iron.   A surprisingly large amount of crotch rockets... some MC related...  in attendance.   Crazy amount of 'big wheel' bikes, 99% of them HDs.  And the one thing that surprised even me .. .the qty of Slingshots in attendance.  Previous years I'd see a couple .. last year I figured there were maybe a dozen total.  There were dozens and dozens this year.  Everywhere!   And they work their way into the mix, to include the Strand. So much so that.... I'm betting in the future they and others ( T-Rex, Vanderhall, etc) will be restricted from parking in certain areas and not allowed down the gauntlet, on the Strand.  They are large vehicles and to me .. just doesn't make sense.  Doesn't make sense to a lot of people.  Many
Slingshots
people don't consider them a motorcycle so they are questioning why they are there at all.. It's a tough one. There was at least one Boss Hoss Trike on the Strand. Half a dozen T-Rexs at least were in the mix ( more than I'd seen at one time previously) .. but Slingshots have rocketed in popularity and I'm guessing since there are so many ......  something will be done eventually.   It just doesn't make sense for them to be in the mix.

Stepping back and looking at it as a whole, I enjoy this Rally every year. My only pet peeve to date is

1.  Slingshots and similar 3 wheelers.  Maybe they shouldn't be 'in the mix' ...   Attend .. but... park over .. "there" :)
2.  Music. I think the multi cultural stuff is 'cool' in a way. But, in every group there is one disrespectful fuk' that thinks he has to blare his / her stereo to the point it sounds like shit, and if their choice in music is shit.. double whammy.  Not everyone wants to listen to their choice in shit music; that .. gets old.  Now if I like the music and ...  it's coming out of a quality system...   well... I'm biased?

Rooftop Bar : Tremont Hotel

Lone Star 2019.  Already on the calendar.   Ready!






Comments