Facebook Handicapped


More Users are confused than want to admit


Over the last few years .. I've touched on this subject.  To be honest, I never cease to be amazed at the lack of FB knowledge the average person has.   The basic concepts I've covered here in the past:  Social Media vs Web based Blogs and Pages.  People sharing posts that no one else can read, I've posted here. ATTACHMENT UNAVAILABLE.  Thankfully, FB gives warnings nowadays to minimize this .. .. but.. people sometimes still do it.  Unrelated, I remember an incident over two years ago where I gave an acquaintance advice on how better to utilize FB via 'lists', and then the clown claimed publicly how how I was sneaking around and circumventing folks secretly.  I made a mistake on that one, because .. I just armed them with that knowledge to use themself (and they do)?  All this shit can make your head hurt.

Here is what prompted this post.  The last year, I've seen multiple people create new Profile pages.  "I'VE BEEN HACKED!" is the normal preface to it all.  Come on, really?   There are other reasons that come up.  "My page wouldn't work correctly and I couldn't' see other posts", etc, etc.  First of all .. the 'hacking!"  Yesterday, it appeared to be a scam of sorts.  I didn't get caught up in the middle of it accept for seeing half a dozen people out there posting they were hacked.  What I read on someone's page made the most sense

SCAM ALERT
Beware... New FB messenger scam going around again....The messages read, “Hi....I actually got another friend request from you yesterday ... which I ignored so you may want to check your account …”

Then it tells you to “hold your finger on the message until the forward button appears … then hit forward ...”
But the chain messages do more harm than good, spreading concern about Facebook cloning and hacking that in many cases didn't happen, officials said.

Security Settings: Login Locations
Now that being said, my brother in-law this year found himself mired in a mess that happens sometimes.  Some POS somehow creates a messenger account that has the same pic and name as the 'mark' and sends msgs to the mark's "friend's list" ... asking for money.  If you turn them into FB, you can get them shut down ASAP.  I've heard of folks having their FB accounts duplicated, but never been a victim to it.  Similar scam; friends get contacted .... for money.   You can get them shut down ASAP if you turn them in.  But they are DUPLICATE accounts.  The Original account is secure, NOT HACKED.  This isn't rocket science!    So, don't go creating a SECOND account!   Your first was never hacked!   If you are concerned, then simply change the password!   Also, you can see where ALL logins have occurred.   Hell, I'd recommend folks look at this once in awhile no matter what... you might be surprised?  If you have a friend or family member that has your PW ...   you could catch them sniffing in your account?  Either way, no need to panic if it shows only YOU ...   logging in, right?   Now, if you're going to spaz out and still create a different profile then at least ARCHIVE off your current account, then deactivate the original one so your friends and family don't tag you in your old account? And to be honest, it makes you look stup...  I mean .. foolish?

Post Options
Okay  Here's a scenario :   You're confused.  Someone has just told you "Did you see what so and so just posted!?" ..so you head over there onto their FB page and ...  nada'.  Zilch.  Nothing.  WTF?  You tell your buddy "it's not there?  You sure?"  Even worse they are sitting next to you and ...  you are looking at two 'completely different pages' of postings.  Now you're confused.  Don't be.  It's Simple FB 101. Either the person posted with "list" settings and you are NOT in that LIST (don't get butt hurt) or ... you just got restricted (you might want to be butt hurt).  What's the difference?  When you post, you can post one of several ways.

  • Public
  • Friends
  • List (named or custom)


If one posts PUBLIC.. everyone can see it.  Look at the picture above and look at the arrow that says 'public'.  See the lil' earth icon?  Everyone in the world can see that post (did you realize that lil tidbit?).  Even people that are not on your friends list.

If one posts to FRIENDS only .. only people on your friends list can see what you post.  Inversely, if ALL you see on someone's page is the globe ... they either restricted you or...  they post EVERYTHING publicly (which is rare).  So, if you feel like you just got left out why not ask them if they restricted you?  Can't hurt. One could argue ALL your postings should only be to your friends list, unless you intentionally... want it ...  100% public.

The LIST!  I myself .. have a butt-load of lists.  Why?  Because, I'm organized and .. I post too
My Friend LISTS
much.  If it's motorcycle related, I usually post to my 'motorcycle list' which is made up of folks that have one or deal with them (work at a dealer?). I have a 'workout list' made up of people who work out or diet.  My lists go on and on. You want to know the definition of 'anal?' .. over a dozen lists.  I've got 41, to be exact.  Wrap your head around that one?   How do you know if someone is posting to a list?   Well, look at the pic in the upper paragraph with the arrow pointing at the icon that says 'list' under the arrow.  That just happens to be my 'motorcycle' list.  Keeps people from getting over nauseated from seeing too many of my posts, that they don't give a crap about. Simple as that!

As I said, FB isn't rocket science.  Take a deep breath and understand what's in front of you before jumping off a cliff thinking you victim of identity theft at some level.  Understand what various posting methods are.  What lists are. What 'group's are.  And next time someone says you just got hacked ... I challenge you to have them take a SCREEN SHOT and post it on your FB for the world to see so we understand what is really going on.  Wait....  you or they don't know how to take a Screen Shot?  You don't know how to post a Screen Shot.  Never mind...   just go make a new FB Profile Page









Comments