In search of Better Health : Part 1


For the hundredth time, I'm touching on this subject.

Back to watching my weight.... slowly getting back into the gym.  Seems every-time I go down this path...   an injury pops up.  I always say 'when it happens again .....  I'll stay focused and work around it" .. but .. I don't.   So, what's different this time?

For the first time... I"m going to take a proactive stance with taking care of my back.  I've been hitting the inversion table daily.  I'm setting up a twice a month maintenance program with my chiropractor.  My back has haunted me for over 30 years with an injury that will put me down .. literally .. on my back ....for days at a time every few years.  Has sometimes taken up to 5 weeks to recover from. It's become arthritic and will continue to get worse as I age.  I've been attacking this problem wrong; time to refocus.

I headed up to BBB late September and after that ride was going to get 'serious' about the gym, a trip to Mexico in my viewfinder.  That didn't work out so well.  Injured my back, had to have the bike trailered out...and ...   went to Mexico as fat as ever.   For those that are familiar with my back issue and saw some pics from Mexico, I know they wanted to slap me upside the head to knock some common sense into it.   In this pic here, just prior to it, my nephew and I had just recreated a pic that we've done over the decades together, but then in my Don Julio (think .. tequila!) voice I said "hey .. put Triston on your shoulders and lets do a triple!"  The next day my back was sore, but not injured.  One of the dumbest things I've done in my adult life, knowing my back issues.   But.. I survived.  And, we got the pic!

Upon returning from Cozumel my weight was 319, a pound more than I'd left TX with.  But mentally, I was ready.  I knew this kick off was upon my return.  Saw a few pics of my .. ummm.... 'girth' .. that had me cringing from the trip.  On the trip with us was the Fosters, and Steve had just dropped some serious weight.  He's been on a 'Keto" diet the last several months and it's worked for him.  I've heard the term, but never really explored it...

I started working out the summer I turned 14.   I think I've blog'd about this.   After having my jaw busted, I started taking martial arts, working out with weights and began to supplement my diet ( protein drinks,etc).   I blew up 30 lbs (lean and mean) that summer.   I began to slowly understand nutrition and how our bodies respond to weight training.  Ten years later I'd be in some amateur Bodybuilding contests.  I understood how to lose weight.  I understood basic nutrition.  Muscle building concepts.   I was in killer shape, but still made a crazy amount of mistakes in retrospect.  I had no mentor.  Only mags like FLEX & Muscle & Fitness.  I devoured it all.  I worked out religiously in the gym for hours a day.   My 20 years in the military allowed .. encouraged me ... to spend hours in the gym.  What I wasn't prepared for was life after the military.  My final job in the military was giving me a peep into what was coming, but I didn't see it.   I was at a desk and becoming sedentary.

Dec '99.  "Lossner, don't get fat!" ?
I retired from the USAF at 263lbs.  Back then 250 was my max 'good' weight'  I felt good, looked good at that weight.  At 263, I wore a pants size that .. .I never wore my entire career.  I was self conscious.  Funny part is looking back at my retirement pics, I have no idea what I was thinking.  I'd like to have that problem now!   Well, within 2 years of retiring, my waist was creeping up.  My boss at the time even made a comment about it.  For the first time in my life, I wasn't working out enough to burn up the calories coming in.  And with a new career, I was eating and drinking in a way I had never experienced before in my life.  It'd begun.  The good news is ....if you can call it good news... I've been aware.  Back in '06 I
Ft Lauderdale 2006 DOIM Conference
remember hitting 300lbs. But, I was still hitting the gym pretty good at home and on business trips. I wasn't 'comfortable' at that weight, but I was pulling it off.   That was 12 years ago; since then I've gone up and down attempting to keep the numbers under 300.  Those numbers have gone up and down approximately 20 each direction.   I can look back on it all now and see the trends; motivated gym and diet with results, undermined by injuries and a  .. frustrated , don't give a shit attitude.  I know the problem; I haven't been able to solve it. I haven't been consistent working out over the last decade.  Hell, I barely work out anymore.


So, here we go again.  Shockingly  ... I have NEVER addressed the back problem as the primary issue.  I've avoided it.  Tried to work around it. It hasn't worked to date.  So last week, I've jumped in with two feet and pacing myself.   I've gone down the Keto path and slowly getting in the gym with my back as the focus.   But, why Keto?  I'm not sure it's a lifestyle solution i can maintain, but I see the value in it short term.   Problem with all diets is they usually aren't sustainable.  They take us down a path that is .. well.. miserable?  We have to stay away from foods we like.  Foods we love.  Foods that we eat too much of obviously.     But, a restricted calorie diet will get us to our target, or close to it.  So for me, I'm opting for this to kick things in gear.   Sugar ( ex. glucose)  is not our friend.  Flour is not our friend.   Processed foods, are not our friends.  Fast food, is not our friend.   Keto simplifies it all if you do it right.   Putting your body in a Ketosis state, it burns your body's fat as fuel. Simple as that.  So, this part is easy.   When I get to my target weight, I'll most likely adjust. Most likely flip to a more 'normal' low carb' lifestyle.  Keep my total calories in check.  But for now.... it's almost guaranteed to work.  So I'm in.  For some added .. ..'motivation' .. I put some non-diet related restrictions on myself.   First thing I did was buzz off the beard .. got a short flat top.  Sort of a reminder to stay focused.   Then came up with some rules for myself.  No Burger cheat meals.... until under 300.    No facial hair until 300.  No full beard until under 290.  I know .. I know.. it's stupid.  .. who cares.. but.. it's part of my psychological warfare!   I've got a container of slacks that are beckoning me... and I doubt I can squirm into them .. unless I get under 280 or so ..  Whats the final target?  Don't know.   I've got a pants size in my mind : 38W .   When I get there, I'll consider it a major victory.  At that point .. my hope is I'll go for another goal/target.  But that one first.  Note.  One's weight doesn't matter in the big picture.  Our percentage of body fat does.  And for me, getting the belly fat down... the total body fat down... gets me back into those pants hence the focus on that 'one thing.'

Upon Returning from Mexico, I stated I was 319. For those that have dieted, you know the first few days our weight sometimes plummets.   This is mainly due to water loss.  My story is no different.

Day 1: (Wed nite): 319   .. Off the plane, home, exhausted .. and ... plump!
Day 2: (Thurs) 318
Day 3: (Fri) 317
Day 4  (Sat): 311  .. They served Hot dogs at the Toy Run..  I wolfed down the dogs, no buns.
Day 5 (Sun): 310.8 .  Stumbled in a weak moment.  They were serving BBQ sandwiches; I had two thinking I 'd only eat the meat.. had a lil bread.  Grrrrrrr. Pretty sure this screwed me for a few days.
Day 6 (Mon): 310.8.   Yesterday didn't help... but..  back in the groove.  Grrrrrr
Day 7 (Tue):  310.8 ..  I'm stuck! LOL

As I post this ...  Turkey day is two days away.   I've never been a huge over eater on that day historically, but found myself in a turkey coma often.  Problem is, most of what we tend to end during that meal ... .is not part of the Keto diet.  So, instead of 'taking a day off', the wife and I have decided to do a "Keto Thanksgiving".   We've got the meal plan organized... now just need to pull it off.   If all goes as planned , by the end of the weekend I'll be under 305.  Crossing my fingers when I post "part II"... that's the case.

Haven't taken the "before pic" yet.   I'll snap them today in the gym.  But, don't plan on posting them until, I've got an 'after pic'.  I don't mind embarrassing myself once in awhile.... but...   this one is right up there at the top.  I still can't believe one of the pics I saw of myself last week...   I told my wife I had no idea. She simply shook her head and wondered which sand pile mine has been in.

Have a great Thanksgiving and don't overdue it!  I won't this year ....


  



Comments

Lynn said…
My husband and I were just talking about weight loss and workout goals yesterday — you hit it right on the head with your non- weight related goals. My goal is always travel. I’ve stayed relatively slender my entire life, but occasionally creep up 15-20 pounds and get so angry I do the diet thing. Last one 2 years ago was Medifast. Great results, high protein, and balanced carbs fats. Kind of a 30/30/30 thing. It’s been 2 years and I’ve snuck on a few pounds and lost them again. The trick for me is understanding what my max calorie count is for maintenance (1200) and minimum for weight loss (950). I have to weigh myself everyday and keep track of what I put In my mouth because the devil sits on my shoulder. I guess this is my long winded way of saying that no matter the amount you want to loose to stay healthy, it’s a battle. I get it and I’m in the long term struggle with you (especially during happy hour ��). Good luck, just do it, get it done! The boogie man is just around the corner (that’s Jim talking as he heads out for the daily run ��)
RickkciR said…
Lynn.. appreciate the comment/feedback! I'm not familiar with the Medifast diet, but going to look it up after I post this. I'm a true believer in what you said... find your maintenance caloric intake and stick with it, and all is good. My problem.. probably most of our's problem is.. metabolic rate. Unless we are in the gym , or out side doing something.. anything . to burn some serious calories... or have a hard core regimented eating 'process' of say 4.. 5.. 6 times a day for a specific qty of carbs.. we are destined to have issues. You've got a handle on yours.. time for me .. to get a handle on mine!