Two Straps ...

This is the 1st post in a series of 4,  about our trip.  ( this was initially published 31 JAN 2020. I immediately unpublished it then republished it the last day of the cruise )

Next month, we'll be on a 'motorcycle cruise' in the Caribbean.   Got to admit, I'm pretty pumped up about it.  Approximately 25 bikes roll in to the berth of the ship, secure 'em and head to sea.  We've been told to bring strap(s) ...  so I was debating on which set to bring.  Brother Dick mentioned he was bringing some as well, but told him I'd take care of it .. so .. which to bring?

So I head to the site to look at pics.  I've seen these before, but never looked 'closely'   Bikes are in chocks, but never noticed any straps.  One thing I keyed on is the wheels are turned the opposite we normally do.  My guess is that gives them more rigidity in the chock.  My chocks don't allow that, but apparently works well with these. Still .. where are the straps?  In our paperwork it says   "*Each Bike Operator will need to bring Two (2) tie downs"

So, I made the mistake of asking in a FB Group tied to the business running the show . Can't post here exactly what it was word for word, because that post got deleted.  Really?   It went something like

" 2 Straps.

We've been told to initially bring one strap, then two straps, but I don't see any of the bikes with straps on them.   Didn't know if you normally attach it to the chock .. or ... ? " Following that we had a good discussion. Lot of folks wondered the same thing.  It was quickly pointed out that they weren't necessary; just a precaution.  Hell, told we could leave them home.  Huh...  Okay, I'm convinced.  I was never concerned ...  just curious.  Then I log on later in the evening and the thread is gone .. deleted.. followed by .. a new post by the admin of the group.

"So apparently some cruising with us shortly want to keep going
Trikes don't need anything
round and round about tie-downs. We ask you to bring them as a caution even thought we have NEVER used them in over 15 yrs! Our Bike Grabs™️ are exceptional and even in severe weather we have NEVER had any incident because of not using them. You can either leave them In Your trailer or bring them on and leave them in your cabin. Thank you. If you have any questions pertaining to the storage of bikes it best to contact our office by phone for the most direct question."

Huh.  Okay   But the kicker is .. I never raised a concern.  I simply asked a question.  I was good to go.  Well now the new thread has grown bigger than the previous.  Folks were trying to calm everyone down.. the sky isn't falling!   Of coure, I felt the need to chime in and point out I'd just asked a simple question...   Whoops...

"Rick Lossner but again once we stated to it y’all just wanna keep it going. Maybe on your page but not here. Plain and simple if you have questions about any tech you should call the company.... that’s us. We have a solid 20 yr record of incredible no incidents and if any of our guests need direct answers, go to the source. We are very protective and only give the best to our clients."

Really?   Fuck it .. I went back and deleted most of my comments in that group.  Done with the BS.  Just looking forward to a good time with our small group of folks;  at least one other Indian will be in the mix ( that's at least 4 total).  Not that it matters, but hey ..   maybe it does?   Will probably make some new friends on the High Seas.   Truly looking forward to it...  but....   "maybe on your page" ?  Okay ... here it is.. my page. LOL

About an hour ago, reached out to Brother Dick ...  told him he probably won't need his straps.  "WTF" is what I get from him.  Gave him a quick run down and .. here we go again!  As a Marine, he's been on many a ship.  He's been on Ferry's where motorcycles were in chocks and strapped, before they would move the ship.  He's in complete disbelief we don't strap these down. Disbelief the chocks aren't bolted down (they don't appear to be.. I'm afraid to ask now! haha).  He's fired up.  Okay .. .maybe I did have a good reason to ask about the '2 straps?" ..  LOL

So I echoed some of the cruiser comments to him

"I have 21 days on a ships with my bike and steve. Been in rough weather without tie downs and the bike don't move. They are chalked on non skid surface. They don't move. Hell it takes 4 guys to move them over 1 inch when we want to. Sign up and enjoy the trip, you will not forget it ...."

"Those bike grabs are amazing, I too was skeptical, after 3 cruises ...., never had a problem until some did not do what they were told. Just listen to the crew and do exactly what they say. Also, those bike grabs may not work as well in your trailer as the trailer jerks and shakes more vigorously than a huge ship. Unless you do use them with straps."

"My wife and I have done 3 cruises, with both bring our bikes. We have never needed tie downs. That said, a tie down in each saddle bag takes little space, but provides lots of piece of mind.  ... wheel chocks work great, especially if you follow instructions and turn wheel as directed."

 Hey .. I've got several trailers. ... several brand chocks... dozen types of straps.. been doing this for years.   I was just curious  .. in my trailer I utilize 4 straps; works perfect.  But we were told only 2... so I asked  ...    "Two straps?"

For now ...  the thread continues with folks beating their chests on how folks worry too much, etc, etc.  "The bikes are not only monitored on camera, but ... staff members continuously check the bikes throughout the cruise. I’ve been a road captain for over 10 years and personally witnessed some rough seas on occasion. The bikes never moved. If you are still concerned, maybe you should wear your helmet in your cabin too. Lmao"    But, these aren't getting deleted.  Shucks.  So confusing

(https://randrmc.blogspot.com/p/motorcycle-cruises-in-caribbean.html)

______________________________________


Ummmm... I'm afraid to ask!

 ______________________________________



Now... The Bike Grab has my attention.  I wanted to actually converse on this .. but .. fuk' it.  I'll do it here.   I've NEVER seen these before.  I've got several brands.  This is a huge topic in the Indian Motorcycle community.. but.... never heard of these.   The page is weak that they are sold from, but a lil bit of info. Maybe after this trip.. I may need to acquire one?








REVIEWS: 





Purchase here



____________________________________________________

Three days prior to departure on cruise:





#etamotorcyclecruises

Comments