A Broken Record

I crack myself up.   Last week saw a 'memories' post pop up on FB.  Was from last year.  Sounded like something I'd just said/posted.   Every few weeks, another pops up from last year... 3 years.. 10 years .....  you start to see a trend.  Injured.  Back in the Gym.  Lost Weight. Gained Weight.   Huh.   If there is a positive, it's something I came across two days ago when looking for an old pic.  There I was in 2004 in the pool ...  if not for my grayed out hair and a couple of wrinkles.. it could have been taken today.   Huh.  So of course, that got me to thinking.

One part of me is nauseated by the repeat of it all.  I'm guessing anyone that has connected the dots and seen the pattern is nauseated by it all too (IE my wife is!).  BUT.....  the upside is...  The last decade and a half, kept from going off the deep end.  Well, there were a few close calls. At least twice I've seen that scale go north.. way north .. of 300lbs.   More than once the waist size has threatened me with having to get a new wardrobe, then fixing it ASAP.  But, overall...   at the age of 59 really can't bitch.   As I look ahead six months (exactly six months), I hit the big 60.  So, being me I've set a goal for myself.  Back in '07 I got off my ass and got down to 273 only to fall asleep at the wheel and creep back north of 280 .. and north.. and north.  Since then ....it seems to be an annual thing (at least per this blog and my FB page)

Still....   as I get older, I see good things ahead.  As I get older, I care less about 'size' and 'brute strength" but more about being in shape; great shape.  So, I prefer higher reps/lower weights now (which minimizes injury).  I get aerobics in almost daily now.  I see the value in leaning down as I get older.  You know the joke that if you look at your parents, you see yourself in the future?  Well, my Dad at 82 is mean and lean and works out multiple times a week.  I see the future  .. my future.. and I like it.   And in broken record style, the trick is to stay injury free.  I wrote about my lil nightmare I had back in Nov/Dec a few months back but that appears to be behind me .. . literally.  So for now...   I've got a personal 6 month challenge.   At 290 lbs, I really need to be south of 270.   In a perfect world ... and my personal goal.. at least 263.  Why? That's what I weighed when I retired from the USAF over 20 years ago.  Now...  I realize weight doesn't matter..... but body fat does.  Still, since I wasn't ripped at that weight, it's a fair goal.   I'm guessing .. hoping... that's also two pants sizes smaller.

SIXTY ... SIX months away ...   Two SIXTY ...   Gonna' happen!










Comments