No Straps needed or possible

This is the 2nd post in a series of 4,  about our trip.

Few weeks ago, I blogged about this issue.  We were told to bring a couple of straps along, and I'd wondered what the process was.  If they hadn't told me to bring them, I'm not sure it'd had ever come up.

TWO STRAPS Post


Well, my question created quite the lil' controversy, to the point that .. at our first meeting in Florida, Steven Wallach (owner of ETA Motorcycle Cruises) asked the group which one of us asked about them.  He immediately made it look like I was continually stirring it up on the subject, which was the farthest from the truth.  Those that know me, now I can stir the pot if I choose to.  This was a SIMPLE QUESTION.  Nothing more, nothing less.   Now, here is the kicker.  Not only have they 'never' used straps .. ever.. apparently,  you pretty much can't use them if you even wanted to.   I guess you could come up with some crazy redneck engineering concept, but the chocks don't have any native access points.  The  berth we put them in doesn't have any tie downs (I did find ONE).   The floor surface is not a non slip surface. Now all that being said, we honestly had no issues.  None.   So this brings about the question ... Why tell us to bring straps??  Some people went out and bought them.   In fact for half of us .. it became an ongoing joke all the way to the end of the cruise.

My theory.   If you don't tell people to bring them, historically, they probably inundate the office with questions like "how do we secure the bikes?"   "What type of straps do you use?"  "Can I bring my own straps?"   I bet over the years this has been asked dozens if not hundreds of times. I'm thinking  That's not what I was told of course. I was told I was the ONLY Person to ever ask the question and have a problem with it all.  Really?  Half our group wondered , just never got vocal about it.  So here I am blogging about it, because of the way it went down.  So, how the hell do you secure a bike on a ship without straps, you're asking yourself?   Well, it's simpler and securer than you'd ever imagine.  If fact, if they'd put what I'm about to say here, in a FAQ for future customers, you'd wouldn't be reading it here.

Into the Dungeon

Bottom line.  Once you ride your bike up the ramp into the holding area on the ship, you shut off the motor upon entry, immediately. You then 'walk it' Flintstones style or have someone help push you into the main area about thirty plus feet ahead.  This is where it' gets interesting.  How do you store two dozen bikes in an area you'd normally park 1/2 to 1/3rd that amount?  Well, they've got
Up Ahead, the main storage area
this process down to an art form I have to admit.  Basically, they line up about ten or so side by side, tight.  Then form a second line, same qty in front of them.  Then you park the remaining bikes/trikes in smaller areas next to the main 20+ bikes.   But, to get them lined up is an interesting process.   First bike in, no brainer.  They have chocks they use called "BikeGrabs" (I covered these in previous post).  Normally, a chock is a chock.  I own a half dozen various brands.   But these due to their shape allow you to do one important thing.  Once you get the front tire in the chock with the help of one to two others (they normally grab the bike forks and pull it in), you do the one critical thing that makes this all work.  With the help of one guy moving the chock itself, you turn your tire/bars to the right.  So the bike is leaning on the kickstand, but with the tire at a 45 deg angle, in the other direction.  I suspected this and wrote about this, and now confirmed it.  Done.  Now, the trick is back the next bike in, TIGHT as possible, chock
Chocked and Ready
it, and .. move on to the next.  Simple right?  Yes.  Another interesting point, once the bike is chocked, 1 to 2 guys can easily grab the front wheel/chock and slide it closer or farther from the adjoining bike as necessary to get optimum spacing.  If you have to move the rear, normally takes 2-3 guys grabbing pegs, floorboards, tour pack mounts, whatever.. to slide it a few inches.     That all being said, shockingly... these bikes don't move around once in place.  This is the criticism I received when asking about the straps.  Folks made it look like like I was worried about all this.  No ( though curious) .. that wasn't my question nor ever my issue.    Problem is .. most replying to me ... don't have a fucking clue on how to explain shit without acting like an idiot and/or prick about it all.


Teamwork to get them chocked

Now .. here is the interesting thing to me.   I throw it out there since I'm writing all this anyways.   Half dozen times I found my self thinking "oh' fuck". So many close calls with hard bags, fenders, you name it.  Bikes are parked TIGHT.  That all being said, I don't know of anyone having an issue on our cruise.  I've read where folks in the past did end up with some nicks and scratches by the end of it all.  I do know many of my buddies whom have pristine Indians , custom paint, etc.. would be shitting themselves at the way we were parking....  hands all over paint jobs helping push bikes, rubbing up on bikes trying to get to your own to get on them, wiggling through the maze.   Few close calls pulling the chocks out with some bikes almost bumping what was behind them.

Setup for the Trikes

Still, I don't know of any complaints this trip.  Just so many close calls.  And, by the last day of riding, it'd become a well oiled machine with most helping each other.  The first day was a lil chaotic with the Road captains working the maze.  By the last day, they were guiding the maze of parking, etc .. but .. most knew what to do and it flowed pretty well.

So .. what'd we learn today (in my Mister Rogers voice) ?

1.  No Straps needed
2.  Bikes don't move on their own
3.  One may get nervous if they have a pristine bike they are fanatical about.

Those that know me, know I ride different brands.  I rode my '14 Indian Chief Vintage (Sugar B') on this trip.   BUT...  if I was riding solo....  my Triumph Tiger Explorer would have been the PERFECT bike. Perfect for the Island riding .. but more importantly simple to secure on the ship.  Even my Triumph Rocket III would have been a great choice for 2 up.  But Sugar B' is my 'Island Bike" and performed flawlessly. And with Leather Saddlebags, I wasn't at risk like most with their hard bags.  If I ever find myself on another ETA Cruise... 2 up ...  I'd probably bring Sugar B' again.....












https://randrmc.blogspot.com/p/motorcycle-cruises-in-caribbean.html




#etamotorcyclecruises



Comments

Tim said…
Its inconceivable to me that would work. I guess if the bikes are chocked and packed in tight, if they do tumble (like the Gregory 500 set), you got bigger problems than you bike. You are probably going to be tossed overboard. Trip of a lifetime! Hope you had a great time. Cant wait to see the pics!