REVIEW: ETA Motorcycle Cruises , LLC // Additional Info


This is the yet another in a series,  about our trip.




 After posting my first review, I of course realized that I wish I'd covered this or that.. but ...  left it alone and moved on.   However, last night I had an interesting chat with another person that was on our ETA Cruise earlier this month and to my surprise, they echoed many of my own concerns.   Up until yesterday, I'd kept most of all this (ETA related Blog posts) to 'myself'.  I mean, they were here, but I didn't send them all to the folks were traveling with us.  I didn't post them to the ETA related pages out there.  I simply, posted them to my own Blog as I always do.  They will be searchable in the near future as Search Engines index them.   My main concern is I didn't want to be the 'downer' for a group of folks that had a great time.  Kicker is ...  not everyone did.

Spent over an hour on the phone last night; wish I'd taken notes!  I wasn't even planning on writing about this today. I sure as hell am not going to quote the person or others.  But, so many things came up I find myself compelled to put them down for future reference.

I'd wrote about how Wallach had confronted me out the gate at the fist meeting in the hotel.  I intentionally kept it in check on my end.  I mean, we've got TEN days to go with this group.  Me telling Wallach to fuck off, or getting in his face, or whatever would have served zero purpose.  Instead, I chimed in , didn't back off and thought to myself "here we go ...   we're going to have some fun this trip."  I never expected all the BS to go down, but I knew I'd have to keep my emotions in check moving forward to ensure we all had a good time.  Apparently, when he did that, others in the room especially the person I was chatting with last night thought something along the lines of 'oh crap .. here we go!" .  It was right after that a couple of others started making 'strap' jokes.  I wasn't alone; I thought I was .. but I wasn't.

On the first day of riding I'd mentioned the crappy parking situation we had on the grass and rocks on an angled hill.  Well, this other person was echoing the same concerns saying they'd wondered why the hell we didn't park on all the available concrete!  Why put ourselves in that situation?  My wife has brought this up many a time ...  "why didn't we just park on the road like all the other times?" . Others in our overall group are Road Captains back home. Certified Road Guards.  Lead large rides.  On Day 1, they were questioning WTF we were doing.  Huh.  I thought it was just me?

On day 2 of the Island rides (Barbados) turns out Steve pissed off a few as we pulled back into the Port area.  This was outside my purview and I wasn't aware until last night.  He mouthed off to other "cruisers" walking by us all as we parked AND some in our large group.  Apparently he crossed the line and from that point on, others had a huge problem with him and his attitude and it changed things up moving forward.  Again, I thought it was just my small group from the previous days parking incident.

Day 2 highlighted a battery situation one of the riders had.  Not only did we have one bike not make it on the ship (older HD that developed compression issue on the trip down?) but one of the folks had a nice RG that from the first Island Ride day .. displayed weak battery symptoms.  He got it jumped on Day 1 and Day 2, BUT..   it was getting worse.  Turns out it's a bitch finding an HD battery on any of the islands, but on Barbados apparently someone had been  located that could deliver one.  Now here's the part that I didn't know about until last night.  I was under the impression that the guy that had it (I remember now that Interstate Batteries had one), was at work and couldn't get to us before the ships left.  Oh no; that's not how it went down.  Apparently, at our last stop, the guy was literally a few minutes out but Wallach wouldn't wait for him.  WTF? He was literally MINUTES .. as in 2 or 3.  Hell even if it was 10, why not wait?  Why not ask the group.  Nope.. we headed back to the port where we would park the bikes and meander around.  Well, most of us. One guy was probably livid he was short a new battery?  That battery issue would haunt him for Days 3 and 4 ; he couldn't ride with us.  Bike was dead in the water.  On day 5, he rented a Spyder.

Daily Routine.. .Jump starting the FLTR
 
During the cruise, the entire ETA group was seated in the same area at various size tables.  After our incident, some of my folks didn't want to attend those dinners anymore.  I pushed hard to get us there despite the drama BS for one reason.  We were sitting with all the others.  I didn't want to create more drama.  I didn't want it to appear we were stirring up the pot.  Now, I wanted to go somewhere else, but we showed up every night but one.  On two other nights, the group attended specialty restaurants.  This was pushed hard by the ETA folks.  However after our Monday night drama BS, we chose not to attend.  We successfully had these removed from our bill for first night, and cancelled in plenty of time for the second one.  We were convinced that somehow Wallach and his team ate free at our expense (the up charge) and wanted no part of it all. Turns out ... we weren't the only ones!   At least one of the other couples quit going to all the group dinners due to Wallach, as well as the specialty dinners.   Unknowingly to me at the time, we weren't alone with our issues with the ETA management.

Day 3 brought up an interesting situation.  Due to the previous drama, 5 out of 6 folks in my group opted to head out on an offsite excursion that cost a lot of extra money and gave up some of the benefits of what was previously paid for in cash to ETA. A few other things happened on this day that I didn't mention previously.  First is .. there were five bikes left in the hull.  One was the RG with the battery issue. Two of them belonged to my group, two to another couple.  The other couple opted not to go because the slow riding that caused one of the guys knees to become inflamed (he recently had surgery on them).  All four bikes were left in a corner. The RG was parked there after if failed to start.  Now the interesting part.  ETA took it upon themselves to move all the bikes in a different configuration for the following day without owner's permission or giving them a heads up to help with the process.  Why is this a big deal?  Two reasons.  First ETA states it's not their job to park bikes; they are there to guide the process.  Secondly, if ANYTHING had happened, ETA and Celebrity have stated they are not responsible.  And yet....   they took it upon themselves to move private property.  See the problem here?  Over a $100,000.00 in bikes just moved as they saw fit. Second thing that happened unknown to me was one of the riders bumped heads with a Road Captain and Wallach over ride safety.   ETA wanted folks to 'close the gaps' but in some situations it wasn't deemed safe by experienced riders within the group and they said so.  Whoops; how dare one question ETA?  And the third thing happened this day that I forgot to mention.   At just about every stop we made on all five Islands, ETA used it as a marketing tool.  Parked us a certain way.  Group pics.  Videos where Wallach pushed ETA for his future Facebook videos.  But on this one, we stopped at a beautiful overview of the ocean on the edge of a mountain.   Before we left, the owner of a bar and grill off to the edge ( hey .. it was his parking lot) starting playing loud music.  Not ridiculous.. but..  you could hear it well.  Wallach got pissed off at the guy.  Even asked the officers with us to get it turned off (unsuccessfully I might add).  Wallach does his big ETA video with us in the background and even MF's the grill owner in it.  Incredible.  Icing on the cake was as we were preparing to leave one of the riders in our group was over at the grill talking to the owner and apologizing for us all, and was going to tip him.  But, Wallach is now screaming at him and berating him to get back on his bike.  Huh.


St Lucia .  We took over the parking and Wallach pissed off the owner.

 
Day 5 on the Islands.  This one started off with a bang .. or not.   One of the riders had a bike with no fuel gauge.  But here is the kicker.  They were 100% aware that they should have more fuel but weren't allowed to do so the day before.  They were concerned that morning. They were towards the rear with a sweeper behind them.  We had been on the road for just a few minutes when the bike's primary tank went dry and the bike pulled off the road to the shoulder.  However, the sweeper blew right past it and left the bike hanging.  What?  In fact,  about 15 minutes later when we got to the gas station someone finally realized we were missing a bike.  Wallach had no clue.  The sweeper didn't say a damned thing.  People were scrambling when that bike (rider had switched to reserve and got it started) and two Spyders rolled in.  Two of the folks in our large group were getting rentals due to their bikes not being roadworthy and connected up with the bike left behind.  Nice coincidence!   BUT... what if the Spyders and their guide hadn't been there?  Hmmmmm...

On days 2-5 on the Islands we were offered lunch.  Now, we were never offered lunch on Monday, day 1.  Why?  Don't know, but we were on our own (in all fairness we were never told we'd be given lunch that day).  But, for what we paid.. .you'd have thought a food truck or pickup with some grub in the back would have rolled in?  JS.    Now, here is why I bring all this up.  On the phone last night, it was brought up they were unaware of the additional costs for the lunches on the Island, that had to be in cash , $125 per person.  They were right; that wasn't included anywhere that I'm aware of.  Hell, I don't remember where I saw that tidbit of info.  I believe I saw it on a ETA FB page somewhere a week out where someone asked about it.  But, if you weren't prepared, you didn't have the cash and it wasn't in your budget?  I agree with the person I spoke with last night.  They felt it was a rip-off as did I.  You simply didn't get your money's worth unless you were a huge eater.  We were told to bring cash (unknown $ amount) to purchase DVDs, but .. not an issue. None of us were ever offered a DVD.  Wallach took a ridiculous amount of video to create marketing videos for Facebook.  But, you can't natively download any of that.  Huh.   Another thing came up that I don't agree with, but I'm guilty as charged.  They were shocked that not only was drinking allowed on these runs, but it seemed to be almost pushed.  Have another!  Don't forget to tip! Etc, etc.  At home, they intentionally stay away from the bars while riding.  I get it.. but.. like I said... guilty as charged. But, for a company that brags about their safety record and how they care about nothing but their guests Safety ...    Valid Point!


#etamotorcyclecruises










Comments

Nino said…
First let me start by saying I wish we could have all been on the same page at the beginning of the trip, Wallach was an asshole from the first time I met him in the parking lot day 1

Rick I believe our feelings about ETA are very similar after the gas issue with my wife we were done supporting any event or dinners ETA had, although I was probably the instigator about the straps at the meeting the first night I wish I knew then what I know now about ETA.....well maybe not, I probably would have been kicked off the trip

I want to thank you for bringing this blog to light, at the same time I'm glad I didn't know half the shit that ETA pulls cause I probably wouldn't have taken my bike off the boat!

Thanks again "Nino"
Rick said…
Nicely said, as usual brother Dick. I am just going to add. They talk a lot about safety however that it. They do not practice safety. From forcing themselves into the group to playing chicken with on coming traffic to parking in very hazardous parking situations. Still pissed that they moved my bike without consulting me. Nino, you do have nice straps now! 😉
#etamotorcyclecruises #etacruises #unsafeatanyspeedeta
RickkciR said…
Nino, wish we'd gotten to know each other a lil better on that trip. We'd have all be a bigger terror, and had ol' Steve sweating if we'd been on that same page? Kicker is .. the more I peel back the layers on this ETA Onion, the more I find...

Rick, the more I think about the Safety aspect, the more it makes me cringe. Folks that give reviews go on and on about how Safe it all was. I'm of the belief they are thanking the man upstairs they survived it all and assume ETA had something to do with it? hahah

Remember... always bring two straps. Just because.
Unknown said…
It’s obvious that you lead a very boring life to have so many blogs with so less of followers. Your observation and defamatory remarks we find amusing. Let me begin by saying you your cousin Michael is nothing more than a lying pos that he would lie on both his ETA Agreements pertains to his wife’s serious illness. Even when we finally asked him after he fell over THREE TIMES IN ONE DAY and as his wife fell off the bike she laid in the exact same position as if she was still seated on the bike!!! Seriously?????? You find that normal. Your cousin place every one of our guests in a serious safety risk. Your cousins wife had NO INSTANT REFLECTION yet you and he chose to use his wife’s condition against the safety of my group.
And yes..... you were obvious a pain in the ass when you constantly brought up tie downs that we do not use as you were able to see first.

And loser Rick,,,, seriously grow up and get your facts right. Keep sitting behind your desk day after day.... night after night... playing on your blogS!!

J Lipari said…
Hey unknown poster aka Steve Wallach, I never felt unsafe by Michael's riding. He laid that bike down in a rock/ gravel/ grass parking area on a tight turn going slowly. That's how many lay downs happen but maybe you don't realize that because you don't ride anymore. I'm not sure you ever have because the stories you tell are pretty far fetched. The only time I felt my safety was in question was when one of your road guides were flying by me into oncoming traffic or when your sweep left me out of gas in the side of the road in St. Maarten with no Seapass to return to the ship or way to contact you. Woops! You can't delete my comment on here.

Your treatment of Darlene and the rest of that group was just deplorable. You would think a man with health issues himself might have a little compassion. Shame on you!

I'm glad that you have taken the right step to discontinue ETA but my guess is that you may not have been given a choice.

J. Lipari

RickkciR said…
Unknown .. or should we say "Wallach" ..

My remarks were not defamatory.. .just pointing out what happened and things I've observed and discovered. Michael and his wife have rode with me in Florida, Texas and Arkansas and roads more challenging that we witnessed on that cruise. He did not present a safety issue; your company did though. Many times. Every day. The fact you made all passengers get off the bikes in that rocky/grassy area that my cousin and another rider, tipped over in (tipped .... not fell over) is proof. Me a pain in the ass for constantly bringing up the tie downs? WTF are you talking about? I asked the question and you ... ETA .. basically lied. Funny part is, the tie downs were never an issue. ETAs response though ..did become an issue. From then on many of us out of the two dozen bikes... saw a pattern. And it continues here with your comment on this blog.

Julie brings up a point Ive wondered about. I ride with numerous vets that have missing limbs. Hell, my dad is 82 and rides on 2 wheels. But, you've spent the last decade .. over a decade.. in a vehicle posing with bikers. Did you ever ride? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW .. my 'playing on my blogS!!!" is undeletable as Julie pointed out. I have to admit, I have to give you credit for erasing / deleting most (not all) of the bad info out there about ETA to keep future customers from knowing the truth. The more folks that read this, the more have been providing me snapshots of the BS that has gone over the years to include the cruise right after ours. Infuckingcredible what we keep finding out. How you keep from getting you ass handed to you .. literally ... is impressive. You can't back up your BS anymore apparently.

Anonymous said…
Mr Unknown/Steven Wallach, the only person who is dishonest in this situation is you sir. You lie about your safety record. You lie about how you treat your customers. You get your employees to lie about customers. You remove unwelcome comments from Facebook instead of trying to do right. As a certified motorcycle road guard a member of MSF with over years of riding. The rides that I was on were very hazardous. Weaving 20 plus bikes into and out of oncoming traffic. Yelling at people in cars who cut into are group only entices road rage, not good on a bike. Parking on lose gravel, grass, sand and on uneven surfaces only begs for problems. Your own ride captains had issues. ie dropping their bikes. And yes you did leave one of your riders behind on St Maartin, you and your Ride captains had no clue the she was left behind until our gas stop. Instead of getting defensive. Just address the problems honestly.
Still not sure why you attack your customers instead of trying to get to the bottom of their problems. Could it be that you are the problem???

#etamotorcyclecruises
Kevin said…
Hey RickkciR! Keep up the great blog. When I first started reading about the MC Cruise I thought "that's a great idea!" However, it appears that ETA would not be the company to use. I've known you quite a few years and you're not a BS'r, in the least. LOL Hope to see you again soon now that we're back in the same region of the US. Take care. Scalper
RickkciR said…
Appreciated ... sometimes, it's hard to write about this stuff, knowing it'll be out there for all to see. Though I had a good time, if I'd known 1/2 of what I know today ..... I would have RAN the opposite direction. And now, they've shown their true colors with comments towards their customer base, closing their doors.. even the FB page. Good news is... sooooo many other things to do in this great country of ours!
suzi b said…
Wow.. I had been wanting to do one of these cruises.. And was watching as it would have been retirement trip... SO GLAD that they discontinued these with ETA. I read all this stuff and think "I'd pry get thrown off for speaking my mind'. What a rip off he seemed to be.. And a real AH it sounds like. Hoping someone else can pic
k up this kind of cruise as I would love to still do one.. Just not with steve in charge or anywhere near.
RickkciR said…
@suzi B ... I've heard someone else is trying to recreate it all.. but haven't seen any updates yet. Hopefully after all the Covid BS goes by the wayside, we'll hear about some progress!