MN trip // addendum

Originally, I didn't want to go this year.  Things had changed.  Things got convoluted  .. but..  some of my new friendships have blossomed, and this trip was calling my name.  I've gotten close to Rick and Holly Dittel.  My friendship with Gary Groustra was growing.   I'd finally met his wife Cheryl and also some of the other North Winds folks a few months ago in Durango.  I was looking forward to meeting Tim Neid and his wife.  Linda and Stefanie, I'd promised I'd be there. Gary Blomberg and I'd been chatting.   So many other folks; Mustache Mike, Mark Petersen.. the list goes on and on. The last few years I've gotten to know Mustache Mike better and better as well. I feel blessed to have these Northern Brothers and Sisters.  And to be honest, I thought I'd see a few of the folks that I've come to know over the last several years.  Disappointingly... the latter didn't happen.  Not sure what the hell I thought would happen; but whatever I thought, didn't.  But when you lose one thing, you gain another.  I made many new friends this trip.  Two the pop into my mind are Danny and Jessika Laverty; the real deal!

When I rolled in that first night Tim and Linda were there to meet me. Tim and I have chatted over the phone, via texts and I wouldn't be disappointed.  He's a sharp one, and I'm glad to call him a friend.  Linda and I have known each other now for five or six years.  She was always my main POC when I reached out to the dealership she worked at previously.  In fact, one of the reasons I even came up last year was her. And one of the new folks I got to meet this time around was Stefanie.  She's full of life and also brought some fun to the party this past weekend .. and .. Tequila!

Night one was a blast!   We did a few introductions, grabbed some cold ones and caught up!   Have to admit, we blew off  .. vented off .. some steam as a group as well.  We sacrificed some odd and ends to kick up that fire pit, and it kicked up the bravado of the evening.   I wish I'd taken some pictures that evening; a quick look on my phone reveals; nada.  Anyways, it set the tone .. the pace for the rest of the week!

Monday we headed out as I'd mentioned, but they snuck me by a few tourist traps.   We got a photo op with the world's largest mustache.  It's a gimmick of course, but ol' Mike has nothing on this huge thing!





Next they rolled by by the worlds' largest ball ot twine.  Who puts these damned things together?  I mean I've got some crazy hobbies and habits, but putting creating this whole thing single handedly, pretty much crosses into the absurd.  I think I read it was several pounds heavy! It's huuuuge!



Our leader for most of the week on our rides was Tim Neid.  He's practiced and
professional and never disappointing.  He led us out this day as he would for most of the week...  What I didn't realize out the gate was Tim was riding in from South of the Cities every day.  To me, this is/was, a big deal.  Mustache Mike was riding in from Minneapolis daily himself.  How awesome is that?  Well, it was to me!

I don't remember which night it was .. Monday or Tuesday, but GG stopped by for a few cold ones and we chatted around the fire.  Over the next two hours, he filled in many of the blanks that existed in so many 'stories' I'd heard over the last half / decade.   It was eye opening, to say the least.  Best part is, we got it all out early on and then spent the rest of the week enjoying ourselves; Riding, Eating, Sippng and 'visiting' ..   a perfect recipe for a good time!

Crazy part is how fast the week went by.  Cliche saying, but just about always true.  Even though the weather threw us a few curve balls, we made the best of it and worked our way through the week.  I have to admit, Saturday night was a true culmination.  We had a 'full house', Rick and Tim picked up
some killer steaks and chicken, and I soon found myself tasked with the grilling of the meat.  That'll teach me for posting crap all the time, as if I know what I'm doing?  Well, I took it pretty serious and kept the drinking in check, until I pulled off that last piece of meat.  I've got to tell you , the steaks were to die for!  I succeeded in not drying up the chicken; I believe everyone was happy and we even had a few leftovers.   But that steak; melt in your mouth!

Well, once we got the main course down, it was on to liquid desert.  Steph' had brought over some Mezcal so we had to do, what we had to do! We shared it among everyone though, to ensure no one person, well....   had toooo much fun.  Buddy of mine from Houston was also up and dropped by for a few hours.   I think Twain left on the earlier side to head to the Gazebo; probably smart in the big picture.  Do your main drinking at the final destination, not the one prior.  But the fact he'd stopped by, added to evening!

I have to admit, we pushed the edge a lil' that evening.  But, a lot of emotions were coming out, in the moment for many.  It was almost a 'cleansing' of sorts? But at the core, it was just a good time.  Lot of things were done in fun; in jest.  And, a few things were done with purpose, after years and years of being suppressed by ...... by ..   well ....never mind.  But not that night! In fact, I'm creating a lil' surprise for many of those that attended, to do a lil' reminiscing.

Now, it's time to move on.  This won't be an annual event.  It was a one off.  We're already talking about where the follow on will be.  Many of us will make it to Durango in June.  We'll have a Hill Country event in the Spring for the IIRA.  And looks like we'll have a Hill Country even in September for the MN boys if they roll down to visit.  Now, if I can just find another bottle of that rot gut rum.....







__________________________________



Comments