Grilling : Part 2

The other day, I rambled on in this blog about my efforts at grilling over my lifetime.  It's always been one of those things I did in addition, to good times.  Rarely was it itself, the focus.  Well, at this point in my life that's changing.  I want it become good, really good, at it.  Consistent.   Knowledgeable. And to do that, getting the right tools is one piece of the puzzle.

I posted a 'mystery pic' on FB the other day when the semi dropped off my Kamado Grill, packed up tight and needing assembly.   I thought I was being cute because you couldn't quite make out the packing slip.  The only thing one might read was "BBQBOYS" ..  But through the colored plastic I soon realized it was transparent as guesses quickly came in that were .. well... too close.  I thought someone had cheated.   I thought my wife had PM'd them the answers.   No.  I'm just a moron for posting the answer and then asking the question! lol

Well, the only reason I'm writing this today is because... I'm Impressed!  I'd read horror stories/reviews about these showing up and the ceramic inside was cracked, due to problems during shipping.   The minute I started unpacking and realized how well it was done, I grabbed a photo or two of the process.
The whole thing was fastened to a second skid which gave it extra protection.
The Kumodo Joe was in its own box and the additional items I'd ordered were in another box, atop the main box, all plastic wrapped tightly together, then strapped down as a whole.   As I took off the plastic and removed the first box i noted the main box had a 'wooden top' upon it.  This ensures the integrity of the top of the box so the straps don't tear into it.  Why is this a big deal?  I open boxes with equipment worth $100,000 and more in it (work related), that they don't do this with. I see damaged boxes (rarely the equipment, thank god!) all the time.  The wood top idea is brilliant.  Additionally the bottom is a wood with an edge. 
So basically they put down the bottom piece of wood that has 2x4s on the bottom of it to create a skid. then place the one piece the grill in there, then the cardboard square on/ over it  and the walls of the box are created.  The cardboard nestles down in/against the bottom wood piece.  Then, they set that top wood piece, that also has a wood 'lip' on it.. and .. . ta' dah'.. you have a box. The part I left out is they stuff the interior with a heavy brown paper packing that ensures... everything is snug.   That fact that I even took the time to write about it ...   I was impressed!
Well, I'm lucky enough to have a pallet jack so I pulled it over towards the house for the breakdown.   Once I peeled all the protective layers off and out, I had a Grill sitting on there awaiting assembly that I myself could not move.  Now, I suppose If I'd decided to manhandle it, I could have figured something out.  But I've got a bad back and this would send me to the floor in pain, so I grabbed a phone and gave my buddy Mark Kennedy a quick call.  Took us the better part of 2 minutes to lift it out, flip over the stand, and set it back in.  Done. Time for a couple of beers!   Well, I still had to assemble a few small things, but the main part was .. done.

The quality of this amazes me so far.  First , it's HEAVY.  It's SOLID.   And damned it.. it's purdy'!   I've got a cover for it on order to make sure it stays that way.  I'm realizing I probably need a small container to keeps some things in; charcoal, gloves, lighter, etc.  I'll go find me a red one today, to keep with the theme?

Now ... what to cook in it first.   I'm doing some smoked chicken breasts today, but believe it or not.. they are going to the electric smoker today.  I want to do something more 'grand' for the first cook with the Kamado .... just not sure what.  I probably should watch a few more videos so I don't **** it up :)


It's Ready!

Comments