Event Pages

I'm headed down to the Hill country in a few months... and .. I find myself remembering a few things from over the years on the subject.  Now to the average person, I know they are going to be thinking " Really? You lose sleep over this shit?"  Well .. no .. but ..  I'm just a lil' anal I guess.

Here it goes..   Historically, when a Motorcycle Event is advertised .. at least back in the day ..   One made some posters and if they were tech savvy' they got on my 'boards' out there and posted the info.  The "boards' then became better known as forums, and many of these still exist.  The Holy Grail to me has always been to have a dedicated Web Page. In my opinion, the Web Page should be the anchor.. the heart.. .of all the info.   The problem is, a lot of info is given out and discussed on other various mediums. And it's hard to summarize and track all info across different mediums.  Historically that might have been email, or forum threads or most recently, Facebook.  Facebook, good or bad, right or wrong, has become the main way for most to advertised events locally and nationally.  However, there are a few problems still with this.

Facebook gives us several ways to distribute the info.  The promoter can put the info on their own personal page.   Then people can share that off or find it.  However, way too often that isn't posted "publicly' on someone's page so a domino effect of issues occur because of that . A second way is a dedicated FB Page for the event.  This happens sometimes as well, but not as much as one would assume.  Lately, the main way for passing the info on is via FB 'group's'.  The problem here is , the best option for Group activity in my opinion is for the group to be 'closed' not 'public'.  But, for folks not in the groups, they can't see it.   So we've got a multitude of catch 22s.  The biggest one is still.. not everyone is on FB! Some people are adamant they will not create an account.   So, we're back to square one. A web page. And that's assuming 'everyone' has Internet connectivity; which isn't the case.

Now, what has me stirred up on this fine morning?   I know of someone whom is putting together an event this Spring and a quick look out there tells me that once again, they are stumbling and doing it incorrectly. I told them five years ago how do it it correctly but they are still stumbling along.  The funniest part of it all to me is... this person claims to be a computer guru of sorts.  So, the irony of it all is just crazy to me.  Now the problem is, web pages generally cost money to stand up. Not much, but in this world of everything is 'free' .. they do.  And there is work involved to manage multiple hubs of activity.  But this is not rocket science.   In its simplest form, a basic web site has the critical data on the event and then may give links to where the most activity is ; say a FB group dedicated to it.  Why is this a big deal?  Because then in an email or flyer or forum post or FB post or Instagram Post or Twitter post.. one can simply give the Web Page URL address and .. .. confusion is minimized.  Hell, one could post a PDF or JPG version of a flyer on the web page to help even more ( so folks can download and email  or print them, and distribute them ).  But .. I guess I'm wrong.  This stuff is rocket science.

I found myself looking at the most current info for this mysterious event I'm hinting at and ...  it's minimal.   There is no EVENT created on FB.  There is no Public Post with all the pertinent info.  Just a few hints here and there of when and where.  And here it is the second week of January with a few months to go.   I've personally provided more info to a small group of folks that are headed that direction for our own purposes, unofficially.   Trying to get everything lined up my end, had me looking around to know all the facts... then soon figured out no one knows all the facts.  Well, I have enough to accomplish my own mission.. but God help those that are trying to plan for the 'event' .

Oh well... If it was easy, everyone would be doing it?

So screw the event.. anyone want to join me on our own adventure?  Reach out to me if you need more info.  It's a secret.

Doing our own thing!




Comments

Rick said…
If people truly want to find out what events are out there they will. 50% of the things on FB are fabricated and have some kind of personal slant. Also when advertising an event on social media. You never know what or who will show up!
RickkciR said…
I go on one of my rants, on a specific subject that has had me laughing in stitches for years... so what does the bozo do. He finally publishes a web page about the same time. Now, he'd bought the site over a year ago... and just finally did it .... about he time he listened to me? Yeah .. that must be it! hahaha