To Trailer .. or .. Not to Trailer

Apparently, our manhood is at stake so  ....   think hard about how one answers this question. I mean ....  if traveling from Point A to Point B, do you ride your bike? Do you trailer it?  Do you pull a trailer behind it?   Nothing is ever simple.  What if you like to "RV".  What if you want to bring an extra bike?   What if you're on a timetable?  What if ....  one's man card is at stake?

Okay...   Let me just tell you what my answer is.  Who gives a fuck?   Seriously. Knock yourself out. Do whatever the hell you want. Screw what others think.  But, it's not that simple or I wouldn't be writing this, right?  I swear this shit comes up weekly.. sometimes daily.  And, people are assholes.

Okay .  Lets pick a worst case scenario.  Joe Blow Biker wannabe is headed to a rally  a short distance away, so he puts his bike on a trailer and heads to the rally.  Unloads it, puts on his "bad ass" leather crap, then he .. or he and his lady ...  now cruise a few miles here .. and there...  and do their 'biker' thing.   On Sunday or Monday, they load it back on their trailer and head back to their 'normal' life.   This shit drives a  LOT of folks bat shit.  Do I think it's funny? Yes I do.  Do I care?  Well, not unless they are in my face bragging .. talking shit... etc.  Saying that, I've never had to deal with that BS but apparently the vast majority of others have, otherwise how can one explain all the rants and raves on the subject?  I mean, this must be an epidemic, right?    Okay.... all humor aside  ...yes I think that's some pussy crap .. I've just never lost sleep over it .  Ever.

I guess the next situation might be the couple that travels a longer distance consisting of hundreds or thousands of miles to a big rally or other event,  with the bike worth ten's of thousands in a covered trailer that was waxed before leaving home, en route to their destination   A lot of folks do this, because we hear of the 'trailer rallies', the most famous being Sturgis.  Does it matter? No.  But it must because a lot of people go on.. and on.. and on...about it.   Now me personally, I've been to Sturgis 4 times over the last 30 years and I rode both ways, all four times.  I've got my own chest beating stories about each ( a few are pretty good), but  I don't recall ever busting anyone's' balls for trailering in.  Who gives a fuck?   Well, like I said..... apparently a lot of folks do.  I read about it ever fucking day .. over .. and over .. and over.   Apparently 99% of the motorcycle community are all apparently biker gods, that never trailer.  Well, at least it seams that way. I mean, my god.. their bike has NEVER been on a trailer. I mean....  where's their trophy?  These guys are BAD ASS!!!  Truth be told, I've rode as much as I've trailered.  I've got a few bad ass riding stories... and .. more than a few good stories on how I stayed dry and smiling in crappy weather staying nice and dry while passing folks on bikes soaking wet and shivering. All the while, my bike is staying shiny and pretty in the trailer . And all those trips were a good time.  And to be honest, I trailered a few times when I'd wish I'd rode and more than once was glad I trailered due to events that happened that trip.   Which brings me back to square one.  Who gives a shit?  Life goes on.

Now, here's one that will push them bad ass, never trailered, super biker fool's buttons.   I don't have one trailer.  Not two, or three.  I guess if you do the math, I have at least four ways to transport my bike(s).  A 6x12 open, 7x14 enclosed, 8x20 enclosed and a 42' Toy Hauler.   As I type this I realize it's overkill, but they come in handy and I've offered the first three, to any of my friends at any time.   I can tell you it's been a good thing in the big picture, and they appreciated it!   Now me being "Rick the Dick" I love posting sarcastic shit in forums and groups banging on trailers, showing pics of mine. The vast majority of these douche bags talking shit, I enjoy pushing their buttons.  Still I can't help but wonder if their opinions are based on honestly never trailering for man-card reasons or if it's because they can't afford a trailer and/or the truck to pull it so start talking shit to cover it all up.  I tend to believe it's the latter.  So, when I read the BS, I like to bust balls, post pics, be a dick.  Can't help myself.  Whoops ..... sorry

Now in all fairness, there is something to be said about the 'ride'.  I'm a beliver that we should always ride as the first option.  I've blogged before that I've done Sturgis 4 times on my bike.  I've ridden other 1,000 mile destinations on my bike. Hell,  I have fantasies about riding coast to coast, across a continent, around the world.  But in the real world, we have families.  We have jobs.  We have physical constraints and/or health issues. We have spouses that may not share our 'hard core vision' of riding.  So sometimes, a trailer fits the need and we utilize 'em .  No matter how you get 'there',  do what makes sense in each specific situation..

So, To Trailer or NOT to Trailer?   Does it matter? Do what allows you to live the dream.  Just ride the damned bike as much as possible.

edited/added: As I read ongoing comments on Social Media.. .... I find myself remembering a scene from a biker build off show. The stud builders were riding to Daytona Bike Week towards the end of the show. If I remember right, you had to ride it 800 or a 1000 miles to prove the bike would run, to have a shot at the trophy for the show's episode. Well, as they were going through GA or somewhere like that it was something like 30 degrees , sleeting .. and ... .. on the edge of snowing. They were freezing their gonads' off as they pulled into a gas station. At the station was a truck/trailer setup with some HDs in it.. They began making jokes , towards the trailer boyz for being pussys (not to their faces of course). Me .. I'm watching this from the comfort of my living room thinking ... what a pair of fucking morons. Riding their bikes in that shit weather, and the other guys had the brains to be in a warm truck. Anytime guys talk shit... I remember that episode :)


20 footer holds at least, 4 full size bikes


This was actually a business trip; loaded up the bikes and brought the wives

One of many awesome rallies we all trailered in for

My first trailer (5x10).  Sold it to Dad so he could take his bike back to AR. It's paid for itself


This is my original enclosed trailer. At 14' holds two full size bikes

My third and hopefully last FW: 42' Toy Hauler.  Has a 12' garage in the back for the toys


Comments