I'm a Biker....

I started riding in '83.  By '85 was more into it, but didn't 'feel like a Biker.'   I mean I'd ride in shorts/tennis shoes .. Jeans and Tennis Shoes. .. and don some cowboy boots if I was stepping up my game.  Didn't own any leather 'motorcycle boots' or a leather motorcycle jacket.   I just rode to have fun.

I remember my first literal vision of  .. 'bikers'.  I'm on Dodge Street in Omaha , riding west out of the city.  In front of me are two big boys on HD Softails, long gray hair in pony tails, with vests on .  These dudes were easily over 6' 225lbs each, built, and looked as cool and bad ass as anyone.  They were riding side by side and they looked like the most confident MF's I'd ever seen on a pair of bikes.  I was riding a ways behind them thinking ....   "I wouldn't want to fuck with them".   Now, I was a big guy myself , lean and mean , bouncing  at a bar in the evenings.  But .. that's the thought that came across my mind.   Those two guys in my mind....were real "Bikers." What a biker 'should be' ?

Sturgis '86 ( KZ1000)
The next year, myself and a couple of buddies headed to Sturgis with two of us on rice burners and another on an HD.   Our buddy riding the HD wasn't a big guy; actually sort of wimpy if I had to say.  But he loved HDs.  His wife loved HDs.  He was living the dream.  But he wasn't 'posing' .  Just
riding.  When we got there I saw more than a few hard core types.   Big ol' fat bastards that were living a lifestyle that was beyond my comprehension.  These crazy fuk's were entering their old ladies in cucumber contests and proud of the results.  I saw shit there I couldn't get my head around, nor cared to.  I saw a lot of Bikers there.  A lot of motorcycle riders there...   A lot of what seemed to be 'trailer trash ' to me.. and other folks that were .. just riding .. having a good time. We had a blast; had zero issues that trip.  I thought for sure we'd be throwing down with a few because we were riding rice. Not the case. Lot of boys on HDs wanted to race and they gave it their best. But, all good in the end. Crazy fun.  And .. . I felt like a 'biker' for the first time.

Nowadays .. seems like everyone want's to be a 'biker'.  Or point out who 'isn't a biker' .  From where I sit, most of the bad-asses seem to be living in a single wide, only ride a bike and don't own a cage, wrench on their Shovel or EVO bikes because no way in hell are they going to buy a new bike and let the dealer work on them ( assuming they could even get financed for one).   Except the problem is .. I'm confused how only guys that can't afford new bikes and/or cars are Bikers.  I'm confused how only guys that have trashy women that look like they hook' at night ... are Bikers.  I'm confused  how if any one makes a good living and has more than one bike, has bought a new leather jacket in the last five years and can afford to stay in a hotel instead of a tent .. .. is NOT a Biker.  I mean.. this crap is confusing!

Soooo... WTF is a biker?  Lots of opinions out there... way too many
_________________________

bik·er


ˈbīkər/

noun

informal

noun: biker; plural noun: bikers

1. a motorcyclist, especially one who is a member of a motorcycle gang or club.

2. a biker is some one who not only owns a motorbike but rides it for pleasure as well as mere transport. They tend to be a friendly bunch but any who crosses them will be "persuaded" not to do so again!

3.  a person who rides a bicycle, motorcycle, or motorbike, especially in competition or as a hobby.
_________________________








Well, obviously I've got an opinion. Don't I always?  So what is it?   I've come to think this whole 'biker'  thing has become a joke.   Simple as that .  Why?  Because instead of folks 'living it', they seem more worried about who is and who isn't.   This whole we are all brothers and sisters thing gets old after awhile. I mean, the same people that spew this,sometimes turn around and bash and entire section of the motorcycling community for their choice of ride.   How is it some guy who's been riding an HD to work for the last 30 years, barely squeaking by in the big picture financially, living the the 'lifestyle' is a Biker... but some guy who rides a Dual Purpose ( BMW, Triumph , KTM.. whatever ) ...  20,000 plus miles a year, Long Distance around this country .. or around the world .. through every conceivable type of of environment and weather, with minimal sleep .. isn't.  Is it because he ain't tat'd up and drives a BMW GS?  Who made the decision who is .. and who isn't?   If the first guy hangs around 20 other guys who all share the same beliefs, is he more bad ass than the single guy who pushes the envelope on two wheels?   We know the first guy must be bad-ass .. I mean I read about it daily on Social Media.  And he'll probably stand up to me in his bar and talk shit to my face, even if he's 1/2 my size and a decade or two older, with nineteen of his crony clones backing him up. Had to throw that in, because 'everyone' seems to believe they are invincible behind a keyboard or with their buddies backing them up in the 'real world.'

So then .. what is a ...   real biker?  I don't know.   Not sure I even care anymore. I do know a lot of folks seem to TRY really hard to be something they are not.  I do know a lot of folks truly enjoy the motorcycle lifestyle.   Where I think the lines get blurred is when folks think a bike  .. makes them something more than they really are.  Something they are not.  Fuk' .. it's just a BIKE!  Sometimes I find myself thinking .. "GET A LIFE!"  And yet in a pen stroke of hypocrisy ... I find myself amazed sometimes with folks that truly live a 'biker' lifestyle, without an attitude.   They ride whenever possible.  Attend events when possible.  Hang around others that share the same desires.  They truly live it... live the a lifestyle centered around motorcycles.  If it works for them ... sometimes.. I'm impressed.

I have to admit, that's not me.  Some that know me would probably disagree.  Some that don't ride probably think that I fit their definition of a Biker.   I've ridden for several decades.   I ride often and
Not what you ride, but that you ride?
attend several events a year around my region. More often than not, I hang with my buddies that ride, than with those that don't ( it's about the bikes!).  I've got more than one bike and to be honest, I've sort of gone off the deep end with my love and lust of a certain brand of motorcycle, yet enjoy most all bikes out there.  I've let the world of motorcycles consume parts of my life.  And I love a good long ride, with a few cold ones at a stop once in awhile.  I normally have a piece on my hip or in my leather vest.   I've got a lil ink and I'm bigger than than average person.   So.. to many .. I guess I'm a 'biker'.  I mean .. I feel like a 'biker' ...   well.. when I'm riding.


Problem is .. there is more to life than just ... .. motorcycles.   I've had a fascination with Jeeps for as long as I've been riding bikes.  I like fast cars; I've had two vettes and now own my second '67 Camaro.  I enjoy traveling; we head to Mexico at least once a year and also spend a lot of time on Galveston Island where we have a second home.   And finally, late in life I've become more focused on the art of "BBQ" ...  All these things occupy my time, some more than others.  Currently, motorcycles more than the rest.  Still.... there is more to life than just my bikes.   So, am I a 'biker?" .. Of course I am.  But I'm not a hard core off the deep end 'biker'.   I'm certainly not a bad-ass; I blogged on that subject before!  But some fuk'n morons out there that ride an HD (usually the bike of choice) , don't have a rounded out life, don't have a solid financial life, and ride a black bike that looks like everyone elses black bike.... believe that they are the real bikers' ... well.....  that's some funny shit right there?


What .. did you just say I'm not a biker?  hahaha









Comments