The Art of the Shave : Part II


Over a year ago, I wrote about my experiences shaving, mainly due to my joining the Dollar Shaving Club.  Well, a few things have changed since then.

First ... screw DSC.  After all the BLM BS began again recently, they as did many other companies, decided to 'take a stand' and send out their support to their customers.  Well, in this case ex-customer.  I have no desire to do business with ass kissing race baiting companies.  I don't care whether they agree with it all or if its' just a CYA motion... I'm done with them. Lots of other options out there.  I did like a couple of their products .. but...   screw 'em.

Secondly, when the pandemic hit my hair began to grow out. I've trimmed my flat top over the years, but that was just to keep it in check until I could get to the barber shop.   As it grew longer, I had a decision to make.  Grow it out or .. back to a crew cut.  But since I wasn't 'out n' about'  at meetings, etc...   I chose to take it to the next level .. just because.  I'd never in my life had a shaved head.   I've sported a tight crew cut a few times in my lifetime... but never.. a shaved head.  So, it was game on.

Now, the kicker is .. I always wondered what it'd look like.  Is it gonna look cool, or am I going to regret it immediately, looking like some white boy gang banger in prison (tanned, white head, wife beater tee .. got the visual?)   Well ...  here I am towards the end of June after ten weeks, tanned, bald... and I'm still digging it.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the whole process ...

Got to tell you its simpler than I ever expected.   First, took the clippers and buzzed it all down to the nubs.  Then headed to the shower and began the process. After a hot shower, I got the water off my head, applied an ample amount of Shaving Butter and grabbed the razor. All my original concerns would soon be gone.  Shaving 'blindly' on your head becomes quickly intuitive.   Start in in the center at the front, and make your first stripe.  Then continue on from the center working to the side making 'stripes' .  Then, continue on for the other half of the head.  Then reach back to the rear and start from the bottom and work your way up.   I've got a small mole back there and was really worried about that, but I have never nicked it, not once.  Within minutes 95% of my head was shaved. With the free hand, one can easily tell where spots have been missed and you go back for another stroke or two.  In not much more time that it takes to shave one's face I'd done the top of my head.   Now, once I got out and made it to the sink's mirror, you can normally see a few spots one missed; usually near the ears.  Trim it all up and... done.   I had no idea it'd be this simple.

Only negative is...   every two or three days you've got to go back at it but it's gotten to where I actually enjoy this more than shaving the facial area.   And you definitely get that 'just shaved' look when your head and chin is shiny with a lil' lotion applied.

Over the last few months I've let the Goatee grow out pretty long. I've been wondering how long I'll let it go with a Jeep Rally coming up.  Few bike rallies coming up.  A trip to Mexico in a couple of months.   But ... last night I made up my mind to grow out the flat top again.   I've got a few months to get it back before we hit the beaches south of the border.  And ...  I'm getting tired of the goatee.   After I hit the 'publish' key on this post ... I'm going to go trim it all up ...   got a nice dinner to head to tonight.  Guess I'll make myself presentable.  

Going to miss shaving the old skull, but at least I know that when the need arises due to lack of hair sometime in the far future..... I'll enjoy it overall.  And suprisinly, mama actually likes it.  Win / Win?








__________________________

p.s.  This is why I'm dumping the liberal fuks' 




There's been no shortage of voices in the chorus. After a week of important and raw conversations and reflection here @ DSC, we want to add ours.

First, we unequivocally, loudly and vehemently condemn all forms of racist thought and action, from the deliberate and reprehensible to the unconscious but insidious. To us, there is no distinction.

Second, we are horrified and enraged by the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery as well as by the race-driven deaths of countless other black men & women in the United States. And while we are heartened by the scenes of people voicing protest and by the flood of public messages from both individuals and organizations we are equally disheartened that it takes a string of tragedies, on the heels of centuries of injustice, to spur appropriate action on racism in America. We believe what matters is what we do when events like these are not front and center.

Third, we recognize that our record is not perfect. We recognize that choices we make every day in our operations – where & with whom we choose to advertise, who we choose as suppliers or vendors, among others – matter. They are each an opportunity to demonstrate our values, and we haven’t always gotten it right. That changes now.

DSC understands its responsibility to take action, and we will be part of the change. The everyday change. The change that no doubt will take time, but that will begin immediately and continue relentlessly.

Here’s where we’re starting:

    We will be conducting an audit of our relationships with suppliers, vendors and media & advertising partners to ensure that we are not doing business with anyone who falls on the wrong side of this issue.
    We believe in a diverse workforce and will ensure we are all equipped with appropriate strategies to combat racism of any kind in our workplace and beyond. These have always been core values, but we will redouble our efforts - from hiring practices to team training & education to pay equality.
    Action matters and conversation matters, but financial support matters too. Alongside each of our Unilever sister brands, DSC will contribute $100,000 to Black Lives Matter. Additionally, for every dollar that our employees collectively donate to this cause, DSC's leadership team will personally match those dollars, up to $25,000.

Until then, we stand in solidarity with those impacted by systemic racism and violence, and those fighting against it. We hear you, we see you, we are with you.


Michael Dubin, CEO

Comments