Buy Low Sell High

"Buy Low Sell High" ... I believe everyone knows that.  Common Sense.  Sounds brilliant.  Just rarely works out for many of us.  I remember my early days with Polaris (PII).  I must have bought and sold six times on it's way up to $150.  Problem is .. when It got there, I didn't set a Stop Limit for when it reversed.  Now that being said, was a helluva' ride on the way up.  I've got a Slingshot and a Chieftain in the garage to show for it.  But, I missed the "Sell High" part.  I'm still heavily invested in them, but guessing the really crazy money/gain, got missed.  We shall see.

Few months ago when we stopped flights from China, my gut told me what to do. I didn't  Then we halted European travel.  My gut told me what to do. I didn't.  Then, the Stock Market drop.   Gut wrenching.  Here we are several months later and the markets have 'recovered' for the most part, but imagine.... if I'd listed to my 'gut feeling?'   I hate selling on emotion, but the facts were right in front of us.   Looking at my portfolio now, I'm in good shape. It's come back. ..... but I could have doubled it or tripled it... if I'd "listened".  Crap

Polaris
Lesson #2.  You've got to have money to make money.  Blah Blah.  Common Sense. Sounds Brilliant.  Here's the point, when the stock market 'hit bottom' not too long ago, it was ripe for the picking. Perfect example: PII.   If someone had 'dumped it' at $100 as we saw the airline restrictions, then few months later picked it up around $50, they could have doubled up as it hit $101 last week.   Now lets say .. you held on. Problem is.. when the stocks hit bottom you've got to be in the position to .. BUY BUY BUY!  And for most of us, not an option.  Funds are already tied up in the market.  Me, I had to convince my better half for us to move funds to our brokerage but by then, stocks were starting to creep back up.   Still, I have to admit, I went on a buying spree.  Most airlines were down 60 to 80% of where they were just a few months prior.  Alcohol


breweries were down 50 to 75%.  The list goes on and on.  If you had the cash you could jump in and ride the wave.   I jumped on that wave a few moments later than I'd liked to have but ...   what a 'swell' they've got going for them.

Still, we're not out of this yet.  With all the f'ing riots and MSM's blabbering about a 'second covid wave', who knows if it'll continue.   Still there are some lessons learned in this one. I guarantee, if I catch wind about travel restrictions with US airlines popping up again ... sell sell sell(!) will be my mantra.  Then... hang around for some bottom feeding.   Buy low sell high.   Sure thing.  Now, where'd I put that crystal ball?



Lesson Learned


Comments