Injured again....

........ is the inevitable.

Over the last few years.... make that ... 18++ years, I've found myself in a viscous cycle.  Back in the gym, working out, injured, layed off, unmotivated, gain weight, re-motivate, back in the gym, etc, etc.   Over... and over.. and over again.

I've been going through this blog.. through my notes.. through my memory.  I think I've finally come across the problem/solution.  Every time I get re-motivated and back in the gym, I convince myself I'll stay injury free.  Overcome my back issues.  My Achilles issues.  My wrist issues.  My shoulder issues.  My bicep issues. My elbow issues.  Then, the issue(s) return, I withdraw to nurse my wounds and then fall into the 'woe is me cycle''.  The more i think about this and realize the recurring pattern, it's actually embarrassing!

Facts.  I got my first recurring injury when i was 23 ( elbows).  At 25, shoulder.  At 28, serious back injury.   At 33, the wrists.   One on top of another .  Woe is me.  Life isn't fair.   Though I've made gains over the years, I've increased my body fat to record highs.   A constant struggle.  To compound the quandary, I consider myself very knowledgeable in Nutrition and Physical Fitness.  There are no excuses for this to have happened!

Which brings me to today.  To reality.  I'm healthy... today.  However,  I'm going to get injured, whether it be something new or recurring.  When that happens I have to be ready for it.  To work around it.  Do Aerobics instead of weight lifting.  Weight lifting instead of Aerobics.  Hell, crunches on the floor and pushups, if I can't get to the gym.  But, i have to continue doing something!   Obvious?  Apparently not.  Historically , EVERY time i get injured I go into some type of 'mini depression' which is solved by staying out of the gym.  This is what is going to change.  I KNOW it's going to happen .  Question is , what exercises do I do this time around to keep focused, in the gym, moving forward?

Comments