Unintended Consequence...

I've been so focused on getting my waistline down , that I forgot about another issue that had cropped up over time.  Snoring.  Until a few years back, I'd never snored my entire life.  But when my body weight crept over 285, I developed a mild sleep apnea of sorts, and was constantly waking myself up.  It's gotten to the point where I felt exhausted many mornings.. After several years, I got better at sleeping through my self made noises, but caused hell for my wife.  I'd said many a time that when I got back under 275 it'd probably go away .. but ...  hadn't been thinking of that issue lately.

Several weeks ago, it became apparent our bed was shot.  My body weight had caused it to give up the ghost early so we decided to take it to the next level with the solution.  My back issues last year pointed out I needed to go over and beyond if I wanted to take proper care of it.  So, we headed out to check the Sleep Number Beds.  Love at first Lay!  Within five minutes, I knew we were were going home with one.  We both found comfort levels that supported us.  Additionally, if my back acts up in the future, this allows me to compensate with either more firmness or give when necessary. What I didn't expect was all the options.  Multiple levels / types of mattresses, split kings, ability to lift back and legs, massage options, etc, etc!  Additionally, they had some high quality pillow options that worked perfect for me . The pillow keeps my head perfectly parallel to the bed without cramping my next ,etc.   So for the price of a  new motorcycle , we came up with the Ultimate Bed.

So yesterday it dawns on me .  New Bed.  New Pillow.  Body weight is south of 290 ( and still losing weight).  I asked the wife to confirm; " Am I still snoring?" .   NO!   I've been feeling great in the mornings, sleeping like a baby and able for the first time in years to sleep on my back. Didn't dawn on me I'd quit wheezing like an old man in the night, waking up my wife and the two dogs along the way.  We finally have peace and quiet.

So, though I've been focused lately on getting my weight down and back in shape, my immediate goal wasn't reducing the snoring.  However, I'll take this unintended consequence any day.

Sweet Dreams!

Comments