Off the Grid...

What if?  But, not an option for me today.  I love my family too much; My wife and daughter depend on me.  I love my job .  I love my life...    but damned if I don't 'fantasize' about the 'what if''?

My dad told me many moons ago that I could park it on a section of his 80 acres.  Not something I want to do, but has always had a calming effect on me... knowing if things go bad, I could park a 'double wide' over in the corner and survive.    Last year while RVing at a Bike Rally, I noticed how many folks at these RV parks were full timers.  I'm retired from the USAF and my RV and Truck and paid for.  I could do that .. i could afford that.  .....  that calming feeling came over me again.     Year or two ago, I was reading a guys blog on Frugal Retirement.  This guy bought a 30' sailboat, pulled the plug and lived on it for 12 years down in the Carribean.  He pointed out what do you need but some swim shorts, flip flips and a few shirts?   You know.. he was right!   He also spent a few years in an RV at nice low cost RV parks; was like living in a huge home after 12 years on that boat.    Point is, it makes you think!

How much do we need?  Where do we need / want to live?   How much do we require to retire really?  I've thought this all out over the last year or so.

I could retire now.  I have two homes and 'really' only need one.  i could sell one home.  I could sell my 'extra' motorcycles.  I could sell my 'extra' car.   I could either live in one of the existing homes or, I could sell them both and pretty much go completely off the grid so to speak and just ... enjoy life.

But the kicker is .. I'm enjoying life now!   My job is pretty much awesome.  I work for two brothers that treat me like family.  I enjoy my customers.  I enjoy my employees.  I enjoy/love my family.  And I enjoy my hobbies.  So what the hell am I rambling about with .. 'off the grid?" ...  Good Question, because I can't answer it.  I guess it's because I see so many people that pull the plug and retire .  I see MANY more people that hate their jobs and WISH they could do this.  I guess it's my way of reassuring myself that "Life is Good" and I have many options to exercise if I wanted.

Maybe I've got too many toys.  I enjoy traveling too much . I definitely enjoy having the options.  I do know one thing.... if I wake up one day and through some crazy realignment of the planets so to speak , "I'm on my own" ...    I'm going off the Grid....

Comments