Significant Emotional Event (SEE)

I've said for many years, until something that gives us deep pain whether Physical or Emotional occurs, we most likely will not change our ways.

However, given a Significant Emotional Event (SEE), one may change their behavior voluntarily or involuntarily.  We may not even be conscious of it.

Example 1:  At the age of 14, I was assaulted by two H.S. Seniors and suffered a broken jaw in multiple areas.  My behavioral  change following this was to begin lifting weights to increase my size and strength, and began studying Martial Arts to enhance my ability to defend myself in future situations.  This SEE directired my behaviour for well over 30 years.

Example 2:  Several years ago I lost my older Sister and a friend to Cancer.  The two together for me were an SEE.  I found myself living more for 'today' and not as concerned about the long term future since it'd been reinforced to me  we have no guarantees of living a 'long and prosperous' life.  This lasted with me for several years until just recently.

Example 3 is what got me thinking about this whole idea again and writing it down.  I've said for over 20 years, an SEE is what truly pushes people to make changes in their lives.

Recently, I find myself in the throes of it yet again.  Back in late Oct '12, I injured my lower back ( long term injury I got working out at age 28), and continued to re-injure it week after week because I didn't take care of it properly.  By the time I finally got to my Chiropractor, I could barely function. (get out of bed, walk, etc).  My doc' gave me my SEE moment.  He said to me "Rick, you're a big guy .. but .. you're carrying a lot on the 'front' and that's not helping things"  .... BAM! I couldn't even get upset because I knew he was 100% right. I finally had a friend step and tell me I'd gotten Fat!   Yep.. that's called a wake up call .  I've been screwing around with my weight ever since I retired from the USAF and haven't gotten serious.  My job involves travel , a lot of desk time, and not physically strenuous in any way shape or form!  With my back injury scare and having to confront my weight, this was my SEE moment.

So here I find myself truly serious for the first time in years.. about getting back in shape.  No crazy goals, just back to a normal weight, similar to when I retired from the USAF.  The bad news is .. that's exactly 28 pounds.  The Good news I know how to do it, have the knowledge , and have the tools.. and now, I have the SEE motivating it to happen

Once I get to my goal, I'll establish some realistic additional goals and hopefully, 2013 will be the year I got back into shape.... serious shape!

Comments